Review: 2021 Specialized S-Works Epic Evo

Bike Hub Features

Glad the frame has such a low BB that it works well in EVO guise. I think a lot of people underestimate the effect a bigger fork has on geo, raising the BB and slackening the seat angle is not ideal in most cases.

The new EVO has pretty spot on angles even with the shift, some other XC bikes(including outgoing epic) have pretty slack seat angles and high BBs with a 120mm fork. All around good work from Spez I think!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was to ride Epic now, the Epic Evo Como would be my bike of choice.

But 80K ZAR for an SLX spec bike just makes me sad.

So much so that I'll make a point of riding my SS a lot more just to remind myself that the brands have gone mad and that I don't have to buy in to the golfing mentality.

You can pick up an Unno XC race rig with slightly lesser spec (Not really) for "only" R156547,09

https://www.unno.com/horn/builds/

So a quick experiment using the S-Works frame and looking at building the bike locally without discount from the LBS for parts, and based on what I could find "off the shelf" RE on line pricing.

post-5403-0-34771500-1593026237_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hairy

So a quick experiment using the S-Works frame and looking at building the bike locally without discount from the LBS for parts, and based on what I could find "off the shelf" RE on line pricing.

sensible build with 140mm fork on a 120mm (max) frame.....

Can go cheaper on the fork with a Fox 34SC Performance and better suited to the frame

sensible build with 140mm fork on a 120mm (max) frame.....

Can go cheaper on the fork with a Fox 34SC Performance and better suited to the frame

I missed that sorry.

agreed with the 34 option, or one of the lower end new 120mm SIDs

edit: still R63000.00 for the frame alone is hardly a sensible starting point now is it lol

Edited by Hairy

I missed that sorry.

edit: still R63000.00 for the frame alone is hardly a sensible starting point now is it lol

I know I'm the one the brought up price to start with in in this thread, but I am actually surprised the frame isn't more. Right before lockdown I was looking at replacing my alu Sentinel with the new carbon smuggler (not released yet), or a Evil The Offering - but those frame prices have gone up with about 30 - 50% of their RRP during lockdown (there is no way I am paying that regardless of any exchange rate or inflation justifications). If Spez had done the same that would've put their frameset at 90k.

Agreed, 60k is hardly a sensible start to a build though....

Edited by Grease_Monkey

The Epic seems to be the bread-and-butter model for Specialized (maybe Levo sales are catching up), I think/hope cheaper aluminium models will be along soon enough. Aluminium Evo's could sell really well if they are priced right.

The Epic seems to be the bread-and-butter model for Specialized (maybe Levo sales are catching up), I think/hope cheaper aluminium models will be along soon enough. Aluminium Evo's could sell really well if they are priced right.

Only in SA...

In other countries the Epic is pretty far down on the list. The Evo is catching up, but it's only in race obsessed SA where it is top seller.

The 'fun' bikes steal the show everywhere else in the dual suss category.

I missed that sorry.

Out of interest, how much is the new fancy Pyga XC frame in comparison?

Stage and Stage MAX = R43500.00

I think he is talking about the Mobu. Prices not yet confirmed, but guaranteed it will be more than the Epic. 

Out of interest, how much is the new fancy Pyga XC frame in comparison?

The pre release small batch sold discounted at 50k a pop, so I'm guessing it will retail between 60 and 70k so pretty similar.

I mean, realistically importing a top end NS Snabb from CRC will cost the same so....

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/ns-bikes-define-155-fox-dpx2-frame-2019-2019/rp-prod178709

Edited by Jewbacca