Review: 2021 Specialized S-Works Epic Evo

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, R80k for the cheapest bike in the range. And here I almost started to think Spaz was maybe not so elitist anymore.

It's good looking, but I really can't see you justifying that kind of money on a bike. Unless you are like Richey Rich - rich.

It's not just Spez - the majority of the big brands are charging similar pricing with similar specs - the bike industry is losing its mind!

I missed that sorry.

agreed with the 34 option, or one of the lower end new 120mm SIDs

edit: still R63000.00 for the frame alone is hardly a sensible starting point now is it lol

Hairy you have me wondering ....

So what could a "sensible build" look like for

a) the typical weekend rider that considers Bloemendal a nice technical ride ...

b) the next level weekend rider that does the odd stage race.

At the risk totally derailing the thread, as if it ever got off on the right track, it would be interesting to see "Sensible options" in terms of frame, hubs, wheels, group set, dropper seat post, etc and what such a sensible bike would cost to build up ......  

PS - for the purposes of this discussion, a "Sensible bike" being a well speced bike without using the top of the range parts ..... thus, as an example, no NX/SX, and neither the top of the range (my last builds have all been Shimano)

Hairy you have me wondering ....

So what could a "sensible build" look like for

a) the typical weekend rider that considers Bloemendal a nice technical ride ...

b) the next level weekend rider that does the odd stage race.

At the risk totally derailing the thread, as if it ever got off on the right track, it would be interesting to see "Sensible options" in terms of frame, hubs, wheels, group set, dropper seat post, etc and what such a sensible bike would cost to build up ......  

PS - for the purposes of this discussion, a "Sensible bike" being a well speced bike without using the top of the range parts ..... thus, as an example, no NX/SX, and neither the top of the range (my last builds have all been Shimano)

A quick rehash .... there is still fat that can be shaved off this build.

Edit: 

Bottom line = R90,385.00 for a GX build with a really good fork and decent everything else.

EVO Fun, my build.pdf

Edited by Hairy

The Epic seems to be the bread-and-butter model for Specialized (maybe Levo sales are catching up), I think/hope cheaper aluminium models will be along soon enough. Aluminium Evo's could sell really well if they are priced right.

Just wait for all the PRO's and CEO's to get/buy them new and then 12-18 months down the line they nearly half price... !!

The new Transition Spur is a bike I will buy. 

Frame around R50K, will also struggle to get a complete bike below R100K, which unfortunately I can`t spend at his stage of my life.

I know weight is not the be and end all, but weighing 63kg it does effect me.

Spur is arround 2445 grams, Evo 1757grams and the Sworks 1659 grams, that is something special.

Frame around R50K, will also struggle to get a complete bike below R100K, which unfortunately I can`t spend at his stage of my life.

Spur is arround 2445 grams, Evo 1757grams and the Sworks 1659 grams, that is something special.

At 63kg, a hardtail will almost be better suited.

At 63kg, a hardtail will almost be better suited.

Jakkals, I am a softy.

In my dreams I would love a hardtail.

On the trails if I want to stir the training group, I would joke and say, will do Attakwas on rigid hardtail...will not survive 10km.

Yeti SB115 and Transition Spur is out today and possibly even more Evo than the Evo.

Been on a 120mm bike for a while now and said ages ago that 120mm is probably the perfect travel for 60% of riders out there.

To be fair the Spur is built for people who want to take it to the edge where as the EVO is built for the peoples who hang out with Annika after an Epic Stage

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I am trying to buy an Epic Evo Comp at the moment, seems there are none in the country (or at least in Gauteng). I wonder how the concept stores, who cannot offset lack of availability by selling other bike brands, survive when they cannot get stock.

So I am trying to buy an Epic Evo Comp at the moment, seems there are none in the country (or at least in Gauteng). I wonder how the concept stores, who cannot offset lack of availability by selling other bike brands, survive when they cannot get stock.

Concept stores in Pta and the Winelands (the only ones I really have experienced) print money. They are not struggling to survive. Stock shortage isn't really an issue they have often, and if it is it is only for a model or two and for a limited time...

If you hear how many Spes e-bikes and Epics are sold in a month you will be bowled over (I won't say the number as fact because what I have heard is not from the horse's mouth).

My Evo Comp arrives tomorrow, woo hoo.

I have a question about the steerer mounted tool. Is this the full shebang Conceal tool with chain breaker or is it just the multi tool? A bit vague on the details on website as well as reviews. Would be a bit silly if it was just the multi tool.

Edited by Knersboy

My Evo Comp arrives tomorrow, woo hoo.

I have a question about the steerer mounted tool. Is this the full shebang Conceal tool with chain breaker or is it just the multi tool? A bit vague on the details on website as well as reviews. Would be a bit silly if it was just the multi tool.

Best would be to ask your LBS