Garmin Down For Maintenance

Kom

As cyclists/runners/swimmers, our devices all still work, we just cant upload to GC. We can load up to any other service provider, as all garmin sports devices are usb read compatible. Just take your fit file and upload. ......

Maritz had a day of "personal bests" on the trails.  

I linked his Garmin 130 to the PC with a USB cable ... took a while to figure out where the .fit file was, seconds to copy it to my PC.  Again a bit of time to figure out where to do the manual upload to Strava, but the process itself only seconds. .... then the normal steps of sharing his ride with friends and family - which was the only reason I uploaded the file.

Frankly, if I wanted to do it for my own .fit files it would be quicker than downloading the days photos (now that I know where the file is, and where to click in Strava) !!  It really is very easy to do.

All things considered, just glad the avionics part got back up and running quickly.  The rest gives us a moment to reflect on our "habits" and "motives" ....

Edited by ChrisF

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As cyclists/runners/swimmers, our devices all still work, we just cant upload to GC. We can load up to any other service provider, as all garmin sports devices are usb read compatible. Just take your fit file and upload. The price of a second hand fenix 5 dropping from 5k, to 4k or 3k is hardly tanking.

Also, once Garmin has restored order, where will you rather let you data reside - with Garmin who for sure will be implementing significant security enhancements learnt from this experience, or Suunto/Polar that has yet to learn these lessons and are probably fortunate to not have been hacked as opposed to better prepared than Garmin.

For most of us, the data resides in so many places, its almost irrelevant how Garmin handles it. Think how many people use strava, training peaks, todays plan, and a host of other plug ins for further analysis. The only way to secure your data is to not upload it to any web based provider.

Twitter got hacked two weeks ago - did the price of smart phones crash. People may just have stayed off Twitter for a few days, but after that things are mostly back to normal

Personally I would leave it with garmin, but I work in IT, I understand what a shitshow this is and the immense measures they will take to prevent this, the uninformed are another question.

This is still a pr nightmare and comparing this to Twitter is daft, Twitter does not own the hardware as well, Twitter getting hacked is not even remotely the same as garmin that’s like comparing apples and solar systems.

They are going to spend billions convincing the uninformed that **** like this won’t happen again, and even then it will most certainly be a lie, does not matter what they do, there is no such thing as an unhackable system, at best you have an unhacked one. It is very possible this can happen again, far less likely to this extent, don’t think they will be stupid enough to separate all 4 core systems with a Chinese wall again.

Anyone who was considering a garmin now will seriously reconsider that, those who own them may be less inclined to buy new ones when the time comes. This is going to follow them and influence buyer perception for some time to come still.

Let’s be honest here, Samsung is by far the most popular android brand, yet it is also the least secure, least supported, slowest updated of them all. They have been caught many times faking benchmarks. Marketing is how they ensure the uninformed keeping shelling out loads of money for what is essentially at its core a piece if ****.

Garmin on the other hand have to deal with the same uninformed people who are all up in arms because they again do not understand what is going on and most certainly do not understand how exponentially more difficult it is going to be to happen again, garmin going to be putting up walls that make the Great Wall of China look like a lego brick after this, their encryptions will have encryptions, staff access is going to be scrutinized to the enth degree, but all everyone is going to say is , they got hacked.

I know that once this is over it will be more likely to see a pig sprout wings and fly than to hear about garmin being hacked again, it will be more likely that the flat earthers prove that the earth is flat, but I am among the informed. I am more inclined to trust them with my data. I will also never buy a Samsung product, Jeff Bezos himself could not pay me to use that insecure pile of crap, yet billions happily trust them.

Edited by Reme Le Hane

Personally I would leave it with garmin, but I work in IT, I understand what a shitshow this is and the immense measures they will take to prevent this, the uninformed are another question.

This is still a or nightmare and comparing this to Twitter is daft, Twitter does not own the hardware as well, Twitter getting hacked is not even remotely the same as harming that’s like comparing apples and solar systems.

They are going to spend billions convincing the uninformed that **** like this won’t happen again, and even then it will most certainly be a lie, does not matter what they do, there is no such thing as an unhackable system, at best you have an unhacked one. It is very possible this can happen again, far less likely to this extent, don’t think they will be stupid enough to separate all 4 core systems with a Chinese wall again.

Anyone who was considering a garmin now will seriously reconsider that, those who own them may be less inclined to buy new ones when the time comes. This is going to follow them and influence buyer perception for some time to come still.

Let’s be honest here, Samsung is by far the most popular android brand, yet it is also the least secure, least supported, slowest updates of them all. They have been caught many times faking benchmarks. Marketing is how they ensure the uninformed keeping shelling out loads of money for what is essentially at its core a piece if ****.

Garmin on the other hand have to deal with the same uninformed people who are all up in arms because they again do not understand what is going on and most certainly do not understand how exponentially more difficult it is going to be to happen again, garmin going to be putting up walls that make the Great Wall of China look like a lego brick after this, their encryptions will have encryptions, staff access is going to be scrutinized to the enth degree, but all everyone is going to say is , they got hacked.

I know that once this is over it will be more likely to see a pig sprout wings and fly than to hear about garmin being hacked again, it will be more likely that the flat earthers prove that the earth is flat, but I am among the informed. I am more inclined to trust them with my data. I will also never buy a Samsung product, Jeff below himself could not pay me to use that insecure pile of crap, yet billions happily trust them.

The way I read your reply it seems to me that you are largely in agreement with my comments.

My comment regard Twitter - I think it still stands. Garmin does not own the devices, we do. Garmin manufactures the devices that integrate with a platform that is offered by Garmin, much like a cellphone has an app that integrates with a platform offered by Twitter. My point here is that people are quick to forget. 

Anyway, lessons will be learnt by Garmin which hopefully will make them more secure. And yes, no platform will ever be secure, hence my comment on the only way to keep data secure is to keep it offline.

This is still a pr nightmare and comparing this to Twitter is daft, Twitter does not own the hardware as well, Twitter getting hacked is not even remotely the same as garmin that’s like comparing apples and solar systems.

Let’s be honest here, Samsung is by far the most popular android brand, yet it is also the least secure, least supported, slowest updated of them all. They have been caught many times faking benchmarks. Marketing is how they ensure the uninformed keeping shelling out loads of money for what is essentially at its core a piece if ****.

I know that once this is over it will be more likely to see a pig sprout wings and fly than to hear about garmin being hacked again, it will be more likely that the flat earthers prove that the earth is flat, but I am among the informed. I am more inclined to trust them with my data. I will also never buy a Samsung product, Jeff Bezos himself could not pay me to use that insecure pile of crap, yet billions happily trust them.

I would still buy a Garmin device tomorrow... And so would 98% of people

The attackers probably tried getting decent service from garmin in rosebank and felt a ransomware attack is required for them to address their incompetence

hahahaha, bloody hell, I literally just laughed tea out my nose.  #truestory

But damn, them Fenix boys are batting hard for Garmin.

PS.  All those who say Connect is not a crappy app, must have championed Blackberries in their life too.   I'm dumb enough to own more than one Garmin device and they cant even sync simple stuff like recovery times etc.  No man, it's 2020.   Gotta get rid of these Garmins with their Nokia interfaces.

I'd rather lick Jacob Zuma's ass crack in summer at Nkandla on live TV before I buy another Garmin device.

hahahaha, bloody hell, I literally just laughed tea out my nose. #truestory

But damn, them Fenix boys are batting hard for Garmin.

PS. All those who say Connect is not a crappy app, must have championed Blackberries in their life too. I'm dumb enough to own more than one Garmin device and they cant even sync simple stuff like recovery times etc. No man, it's 2020. Gotta get rid of these Garmins with their Nokia interfaces.

So that device would you get? Polar?....I agree the connect all is crappy.. But I don't use it

Try tell all this to the average CEO who just wants to moer it all in the cloud cause amazon/azure told him that’s the best thing to do and his mate at a break told them it’s the next sexy buzzword like dotcom was or e commerce was.

Most people don’t get how much of a nightmare garmin is living right now. Clearly their backups and dr were compromised as well.

I'd rather lick Jacob Zuma's ass crack in summer at Nkandla on live TV before I buy another Garmin device.

I’m saving this post, just because the 0.00000001% chance that you fold, I’m going to make damn sure that chicken comes home to roost!!

Just for some clarity :

1) Does your rave review result from this current outage, or other experiences with Garmin ?

2) Please share your preferred brand with us.

Just for some clarity :

1) Does your rave review result from this current outage, or other experiences with Garmin ?

Shoulda gotta Polar

Seriously now, this type of cyber crime can happen to any brand

Cyber crime punishment needs to step up and include the death penalty

Oh wait it’s the rosy colored 21st century, or the first century of the 3rd millennium, lets rather slap their cute pink cheeks

Edited by SwissVan

Just for some clarity :

Calm down, it’s 2020, we cannot assume that’s a negative, who’s to say that’s not one oh is bucket list items and in actual fact he is planning on getting a garmin next year and has decided that in order to take that item off saidnlist he needs to achieve that goal before he can get the new garmin you, like a reward for the achievement.

Oooops, my bad ....  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Actually very calm, and truly interested to hear input from the other brands.  LOVE Frosty's thread about the Lyzene, especially as it looks at the various aspects of ownership, ie

- price

- software\app

- routes

- on- vs off-line use

- functionality in setting it up

- functionality while using it

- last, but not least, loading up rides.

Would really be nice to see a proper comparison between:

- Garmin

- Wahoo

- Lyzene

- Polar

- ?

been getting low battery messages with my 520 on a few longer days .... as much as I like the Garmin, I am not married to the brand .... 

Back to this thread - this current issue most probably wont impact my decision of my next unit.

I agree, devices still work and there is a way to upload the data to another platform to share/review. If these hackers managed to plant a virus in all units, by way of an update, rendering them useless then I'd think this was a major problem.