Hypothetical dream build (mamil style)

Wayne pudding Mol

my thought process is Schizophrenic 

I have never "hit" a jump in my adult life, that's what my Trickstuff brakes are for

I'm not a lightweight but I enjoy climbing and do so ok so I really don't want something that can't climb.

But I have a masterplan - I live on 3 hectares, one of which I don't use as it was full of alien tress (wattle and blackwood)  I have been clearing this for a year and had planned to build a cottage for holiday letting - That idea has been cancelled by my other half as she doesn't want people around whereas I think we need the income.  So I have her snookered now.........private pump track/trail!  I can upskill in my garden  Got a trail builder coming this weekend and then I'm going to beg my local farmer mate to bring his machines

This has not been passed or discussed yet but she's pretty mellow and has just said no to the income earning cottage so I think I pull this off.

Awesome idea.

As DJR said, don't be scared of longer travel. 130 mm is still very much in the lively, responsive and playful territory. It might come with a 1 kg weight penalty over an edgy XC bike, but with similar tyres you'd still be able to keep up and have the same times on climbs. I managed the same times on my 160 mm enduro bike as my 100 mm epic, only difference was that I felt slightly more knackered after a 50 - 70 km ride on the big bike.

The Unno also has a relatively short wheel base, so you won't struggle with hairpin switch backs. 

Another thing to consider is that you'll steepen the head angle going with the 120 mm 34 sc, as well as lowering the BB height. Not sure how low it is already, but you're probably looking at an additional 6 mm drop. On extremely low bikes, this can be an issue.

FYI, Rockshox generally have longer axle to crown lengths than fox, so a new SID 35 will give you the 120 mm travel, but maintain the geometry of a 130 mm fork...and did I mention they're lighter too, about 150 g.  :whistling:

Edited by stefmeister

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there place to camp, for the guys attending a skills clinic at "Wayne's World"??

now that's a great idea - I invite a bunch of hooligans to camp and it gets so rowdy she agrees to the idea of a quiet little income earning cottage instead

now that's a great idea - I invite a bunch of hooligans to camp and it gets so rowdy she agrees to the idea of a quiet little income earning cottage instead

Combine the two and have an income earning cottage for out-of-towners who want to experience the wonder of Wayne's world!

there like a bear

ha! I'm pretty sure Rob will help with pleasure.... It's what, a 13 minute drive to you after he milks the cows at 4am?

Awesome idea.

As DJR said, don't be scared of longer travel. 130 mm is still very much in the lively, responsive and playful territory. It might come with a 1 kg weight penalty over an edgy XC bike, but with similar tyres you'd still be able to keep up and have the same times on climbs. I managed the same times on my 160 mm enduro bike as my 100 mm epic, only difference was that I felt slightly more knackered after a 50 - 70 km ride on the big bike.

The Unno also has a relatively short wheel base, so you won't struggle with hairpin switch backs. 

Another thing to consider is that you'll steepen the head angle going with the 120 mm 34 sc, as well as lowering the BB height. Not sure how low it is already, but you're probably looking at an additional 6 mm drop. On extremely low bikes, this can be an issue.

FYI, Rockshox generally have longer axle to crown lengths than fox, so a new SID 35 will give you the 120 mm travel, but maintain the geometry of a 130 mm fork...and did I mention they're lighter too, about 150 g.  :whistling:

that's where you lost me

Here's the Dash geo, again all Swahili to me but Unno are happy with the Fox120 - also whilst I have decided to upskill, it must be said that I really enjoy a longer more open ride than trying to avoid trees.  My favourite race is the K2C and I consider the Sani2C a long enduro race - that should put my skills in perspective.  I would never do the Attakwas and whenever an event brag about added single trail that's me gone

That said I have just blown more money than I have ever spent on a build just on the frame so I better learn.  But I really do enjoy drifting off on my gravel bike for 3 hours.  

As I type this I suddenly feel a serious case of buyers remorse - I think the project excites me more than the thought of riding the bike

Oh dear

post-81229-0-51197600-1597915397_thumb.jpg

Not a fan of the MTB because she came along to 2 stage races.  I broke my wrist on the one and ruined the holiday that followed and then on the next one I crashed 3 days in a row, broke nothing but looked a mess.  So clearly I'm rubbish and need a home track to upskill for safety reasons

It is clear that the longer travel is needed as a precaution .............. :whistling:  ;)

snip

This has not been passed or discussed yet but she's pretty mellow and has just said no to the income earning cottage so I think I pull this off.

income earning pump track it is then :thumbup:

that's where you lost me

Here's the Dash geo, again all Swahili to me but Unno are happy with the Fox120 - also whilst I have decided to upskill, it must be said that I really enjoy a longer more open ride than trying to avoid trees.  My favourite race is the K2C and I consider the Sani2C a long enduro race - that should put my skills in perspective.  I would never do the Attakwas and whenever an event brag about added single trail that's me gone

That said I have just blown more money than I have ever spent on a build just on the frame so I better learn.  But I really do enjoy drifting off on my gravel bike for 3 hours.  

As I type this I suddenly feel a serious case of buyers remorse - I think the project excites me more than the thought of riding the bike

Oh dear

if you open to the idea...

Rika in George or Bernike in Knysna are very good at what they do, and can assist gladly in get the skills dialed.

ha! I'm pretty sure Rob will help with pleasure.... It's what, a 13 minute drive to you after he milks the cows at 4am?

Rob doesn't milk the cows anymore - he sold them but they are still there as he leases his land

It's exactly 35km from my door to the Garden route trail park - 650m of climbing, 20 tar, 15 gravel.

if you open to the idea...

Rika in George or Bernike in Knysna are very good at what they do, and can assist gladly in get the skills dialed.

you'd think considering my track record I would be - or at least should be.  But I'm not, I'm stubborn to the point of crashing into trees.  

My mate bought me skills coaching and I didn't talk to him for a week

I have many, many, many problems - this is why I ride alone and live in the middle of nowhere

ok thing he said this and I said that and now Unno are refunding me - I don't want to talk about it

I am difficult and I think they had enough of me whining about too much travel

Bike hunting again, this could be a long thread, already 22 pages of self indulgence.  I might smash my modem and spare us all the agony

Trail guy coming on Saturday - maybe I just pimp the Open or buy a Norco revolver and have a bike built immediately

or maybe I...

Edited by Waynemol

That's good of them. It did seem a bit off to buy a 5000 Euro frame and try and turn it into something else.

Better for you to have complete peace of mind with your decision.

That's good of them. It did seem a bit off to buy a 5000 Euro frame and try and turn it into something else.

Better for you to have complete peace of mind with your decision.

just for clarity, my madness only extended to 4000 euros - which is an insane amount anyway