Is it available?

Andreas_187

Whether I am selling a whole bike or a stem, why is it that I receive 10-15 messages asking if it is still available and then never hear from them again? Are people bored or dreaming or crazy?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether I am selling a whole bike or a stem, why is it that I receive 10-15 messages asking if it is still available and then never hear from them again? Are people bored or dreaming or crazy?

You left out "shot down in flames" as an option on top of bored, dreaming or crazy.

You see: it's probably a case of checking whether an item is available before plucking up the courage and entering into a conversation with the other half, on why you need to spend more money on cycling bits. Many of the 10-15 people asking you the question most likely got the evil eye when asking for permission, and hence not getting back to you... and I'd say a fair amount probably bailed before even getting to the point of asking.

By the way: is it available?

If it was Facebook marketplace they would ask what the price is(even though its on the ad) and if its available.

Next they would ask you if you are willing to accept 30% of your asking price in cash, its as if being cash makes that acceptable.

I love how you get that i will give you R5000 cash!(60percent less of askimg price) I wasnt expecting 1 cow and EFT is actually better than cash money anyways

Tried to sell a R12000 camera on there. First offer was R6000 cash. Second was a “I’ll pay now and my brother will collect it today”

Facebook marketplace is a proper hole. (I had another word before hole and the profanity filter kept it in. Don’t need more trouble)

Edited by Mr Dampf

if you want to sell your stuff, put a number there.  If you don't want to do that then at least check your ad.  Been trying to get hold of a guy for a few days now

The phone is just so much quicker and easier but we've become a society who prefer not to converse 

if you want to sell your stuff, put a number there. If you don't want to do that then at least check your ad. Been trying to get hold of a guy for a few days now

The phone is just so much quicker and easier but we've become a society who prefer not to converse

I always do

I'd guess people are asking that because quite often there are ads up where the item is sold and the seller hasn't taken it down for what ever reason or just marked it as sold. I also ask if it's still available as it might be in hold for someone, it might be being viewed, the seller might be waiting for payment. It also might be an advert that is a few days / weeks old so it may be for sale or it might be sold and the seller didn't update anything. 

Out of interest what is the annoyance of people asking 'if it's available?'. Is it that they don't come back with a 'thanks for letting me know' or something else? I'm guessing people ask if it's still available and then have a think about it and decide not to pursue it any further or get something else. I guess it's like me buying a new TV today. I called 5 different places, asked if the one i wanted was instock then bought from one of them. I didn't call them back and tell them I'd decided to go with someone else. Got the info, made a choice. 

When I sell I get a lot of the same messages as well as the usual sob stories, no replies to detailed response messages and low ball offers but truthfully it doesn't really derail my day. It's part and parcel. Different people do different things and act in different ways for different reasons. I can only control what I do. I try to reply to all messages and go the route of 'Thanks but the price is good' or 'sorry to hear that but I'm pretty set on the price' etc rather than spit the dummy as some people do, taking it a personal insult. Not saying you do but you see some raging opinions in the various classifieds threads. 

I'd guess people are asking that because quite often there are ads up where the item is sold and the seller hasn't taken it down for what ever reason or just marked it as sold. I also ask if it's still available as it might be in hold for someone, it might be being viewed, the seller might be waiting for payment. It also might be an advert that is a few days / weeks old so it may be for sale or it might be sold and the seller didn't update anything.

Out of interest what is the annoyance of people asking 'if it's available?'. Is it that they don't come back with a 'thanks for letting me know' or something else? I'm guessing people ask if it's still available and then have a think about it and decide not to pursue it any further or get something else. I guess it's like me buying a new TV today. I called 5 different places, asked if the one i wanted was instock then bought from one of them. I didn't call them back and tell them I'd decided to go with someone else. Got the info, made a choice.

When I sell I get a lot of the same messages as well as the usual sob stories, no replies to detailed response messages and low ball offers but truthfully it doesn't really derail my day. It's part and parcel. Different people do different things and act in different ways for different reasons. I can only control what I do. I try to reply to all messages and go the route of 'Thanks but the price is good' or 'sorry to hear that but I'm pretty set on the price' etc rather than spit the dummy as some people do, taking it a personal insult. Not saying you do but you see some raging opinions in the various classifieds threads.

They absolutely need to ask if it's available, the question is why are they all asking and never to be heard from again?

For example, I'm selling a stem which you either need or you don't. 10 guys asked me if it's available, I reply that it is.... and nothing

Lots of sellers on the hub have long sold their goods but never bothered updating it, so from a buyer point of view one needs to make sure something is still available otherwise tge seller is simply wasting your time.

They absolutely need to ask if it's available, the question is why are they all asking and never to be heard from again?

For example, I'm selling a stem which you either need or you don't. 10 guys asked me if it's available, I reply that it is.... and nothing

Maybe they are looking at a few stems, maybe they bought a different one. Maybe it was too expensive. Maybe it was too cheap. Maybe they just wanted to know. Trying to second guess the motives of that many people seems like worm hole not to go down. I guess you could message them and ask them but seems like a hack.