Saddlebag Alternatives

slickjay007

2 water bottles in the frame, 1 x tube, mini pump, some self adhesive patches and levers, in the middle jersey back pocket, food in the right, and phone with Uber App in the left is all you need as a roadie.

In our commuter group we have never had any decent success with the adhesive patches. Good old glue and the pink tach strips that you cut to your preference has proven to be the most reliable, and if you know what you are doing, can still be. Flipping fast repair 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to use my mini pump last weekend and again I was reminded exactly what a piece of garbage it was. Bombed the wheel and off we went.

Bought a OneUp 100cc pump during the week and used it this morning to top up the lady’s wheels. What a machine! This pump is worth it’s weight in gold.

Now I agree 100%. Pump first and bomb only in extreme situations.

A decent pump is priceless. Always been a fan of the Blackburn pumps, but have taken a serious liking to my Ryder dual action pump.

had it a few years now and I use this pump a lot on our commutes as I tend to do the puncture repairs. Also mounted tub less tyres with this little gem before.....bit of a workout, but it managed to seat the tyre.

In our commuter group we have never had any decent success with the adhesive patches. Good old glue and the pink tach strips that you cut to your preference has proven to be the most reliable, and if you know what you are doing, can still be. Flipping fast repair

You are right they are not ideal. I have only ever used it as a last attempt option, it was enough to get me home on one occasion. Mostly tube first, Uber second.

A decent pump is priceless. Always been a fan of the Blackburn pumps, but have taken a serious liking to my Ryder dual action pump.

had it a few years now and I use this pump a lot on our commutes as I tend to do the puncture repairs. Also mounted tub less tyres with this little gem before.....bit of a workout, but it managed to seat the tyre.

I will never be caught without a pump again. I was a CO2 snob until I was caught with multiple punctures on a solo ride. I looked like a poephol flagging down other riders asking them for a pump. Now I don't bother with CO2 anymore. One spare inner, one repair kit and a pump keeps me going. I use a crankbrothers gem. Fits nicely in the back pocket.

Leaving the pump attached to the bike in a bracket is not a good idea. A couple of months with the pump exposed to the sand and dust of mountain biking will destroy it. Better to keep a small pump in the pocket or closed in a bag.

I will never be caught without a pump again. I was a CO2 snob until I was caught with multiple punctures on a solo ride. I looked like a poephol flagging down other riders asking them for a pump. Now I don't bother with CO2 anymore. One spare inner, one repair kit and a pump keeps me going. I use a crankbrothers gem. Fits nicely in the back pocket.

How does carrying CO2 make you a snob?

So quick note, I'm so freaking impressed with the Shred Zeppelin from Lyne.

Playing with it, it does so much, inflator, valve core tool, plug tool. It also has enough space in the body to carry plugs, and I've fit two extra valve cores, and a quick link too... Really great little item!

Use "fly paper". works like a charm and have used it many time before no issues.

Leaving the pump attached to the bike in a bracket is not a good idea. A couple of months with the pump exposed to the sand and dust of mountain biking will destroy it. Better to keep a small pump in the pocket or closed in a bag.

Maybe it depends upon the pump. After a few years of being attached to my mountain bike's down tube my Topeak Race Rocket is still like brand-new. It gets a bit of water and dirt into it but you just shake that off or wipe it down. It shows absolutely no signs of corrosion or any damage. I don't carry CO2 at all and rely entirely on that pump. It has not let me down yet. And there have been a few occasions when I have really, really used it, both for myself and for other riders.

Use "fly paper". works like a charm and have used it many time before no issues.

Could you please let us know what brand of "fly paper" you are using and equally important, how you apply it. I have not had much success with the stuff but think that I may not be using it in the correct manner all that I bought a poor quality product.

That said, a Park Tool puncture repair kit is very small, goes very easily into a pocket and you can fix quite a few punctures with its along the way – if we are talking about tubes. Tubeless is another story.

Ive just treated myself to the granite stash range of concealed tools - they look really well made and the handle bar inserted tools arent rattling round on a ride, I just received the steerer tube multitool and have to still fit it.  They are not overly pricey and the non CT guys can order them off taekalot to get free delivery - the CT stockists I found all had delivery charges when I looked, I see there is a PTA stockist now.

here is a review: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/granite-design-stash-tools-review-hidden-fixes.html

p5pb18549981.jpg

Maybe it depends upon the pump. After a few years of being attached to my mountain bike's down tube my Topeak Race Rocket is still like brand-new. It gets a bit of water and dirt into it but you just shake that off or wipe it down. It shows absolutely no signs of corrosion or any damage. I don't carry CO2 at all and rely entirely on that pump. It has not let me down yet. And there have been a few occasions when I have really, really used it, both for myself and for other riders.

I found with two of my small pumps the dust worked its way into the pump barrel and when I needed to use it, the pump could not generate pressure. After soaking the one pump in some soapy water and then greasing it again, I managed to resurrect it, wouldn't be able to do this trail side. Now I just carry the small pump in my pocket or tool bad, in addition to the CO2. Anyway, something to bear in mind. Test the pump periodically as it may not work when you need it.

I recently bought two tyre kits for each of my bikes. It just holds a spare tyre, tyre levers and has space for one CO2 bomb in it.  It is very small and straps in under your saddle.  As I said each bike has one now.  Then I have a palm size tool bag that fits into my back pocket containing 2 CO2 bombs, self adhesive patches, multi tool, mask (Since covid if I need to stop at a shop and buy something), silicon gloves.  Also I have an adapter for the valve that I can pump the tyres at a garage.

I have never had an issue with the self adhesive patches.  Just make sure you give the tube a good scrub with the piece of sandpaper you get with the patch kit and apply pressure on the patch when applying it.  I have been using it for years.  I also have to add that I hardly ever get a puncture since I came to Germany.  In SA punctures was a common thing but I think I have had maybe 3 in five years.

Edited by Bateleur1

In SA punctures was a common thing but I think I have had maybe 3 in five years.

Maybe you just rode in the gutter a lot.

I haven't had that many punctures in the last 5 years.