Need Some Advise 1 x 11 vs 1 x 12

Mogli081

On my current bike I have NX 12 speed, and on my previous bike SLX 11-46. So I have done a few thousand km on both those groupsets.

Short answer. Between those two I would go SLX.

SRAM benefits

• gear jumps (spacing) are great on the cassette
  • when everything works the gears shift action feels very nice, snappy
  • great shifter ergonomics
  • excellent chain retention (when new)

Shimano benefits

• set and forget!
  • durable
  • compact derailleur (less impacts)
  • cheap
  • MUCH lighter

SRAM NX is too heavy and feels cheap. 

How much do you ride? Because when it comes to replacing chains and cassettes 11spd is much cheaper. I had 12 speed GX and it was great would not go any lower on Sram range.

With everything going on the last couple of months I decided to build my bike with 11spd XT and running Sunrace 11-50 cassette. Shifting is great and I won't cry when replacing it (+-R1200 vs +-R3k for GX)

Definitely Shimano over SRAM GX (and by default will include the NX).

Keep an eye out for a XT shifter. Deore 6100 series is also out and really well prices.

Schlep with Shimano 1x12 is having to get a microspline comparable free body for the 10-51 cassette.

The UFO sized 51 tooth granny gear comes in handy on big climbs: where (some weekend warrior) riders on 1x11 wish they had 1 more gear.

Edited by keithbe

Slightly off topic, but I personally find eagle 1x12 very fidgety to get right, I find myself making micro adjustments all the time to get the shifting right. I miss my XX1 1x11 setup which was robust/reliable and somewhat cheaper to run. I am looking at another bike build soon which will definitely be back to a 11spd setup.

What’s important to consider is the cassette you go for as SRAM and Shimano produce hockey-stick profiled cassettes which can make the mid to low range gears feel too far apart. The 11spd cassette options from both manufacturers are limiting too.

Sunrace make great wide range 11spd cassettes which are linear in profile, making for a much smoother progression. (Using sunrace with my GRX setup on my gravel bike, it’s a really great product, and the MX8 looks good too).

Depending on your weight and fitness, a 34T chainring could be limiting on hard climbs, even with a 46T ring at the back. I would consider swapping to an XD driver so you could get a 50-9T 11spd cassette from Sunrace, this will give you nice range on both ends.

Slightly off topic, but I personally find eagle 1x12 very fidgety to get right, I find myself making micro adjustments all the time to get the shifting right. I miss my XX1 1x11 setup which was robust/reliable and somewhat cheaper to run. I am looking at another bike build soon which will definitely be back to a 11spd setup.

What’s important to consider is the cassette you go for as SRAM and Shimano produce hockey-stick profiled cassettes which can make the mid to low range gears feel too far apart. The 11spd cassette options from both manufacturers are limiting too.

Sunrace make great wide range 11spd cassettes which are linear in profile, making for a much smoother progression. (Using sunrace with my GRX setup on my gravel bike, it’s a really great product, and the MX8 looks good too).

Depending on your weight and fitness, a 34T chainring could be limiting on hard climbs, even with a 46T ring at the back. I would consider swapping to an XD driver so you could get a 50-9T 11spd cassette from Sunrace, this will give you nice range on both ends.

Just realized it’s e*13 who make the 11spd 9-50, wouldn’t recommend their products, overpriced, and they can’t back pedal without the chain jumping around.

This is a great deal from cycle lab: https://www.cyclelab.com/product/sunrace-mx80-11spd-11-50t-mountain-bike-cassette?utm_campaign=11013068295&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=461107209839&utm_term=&adgroupid=116511647668&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuMmfo5fR6wIV1O3tCh2TYQg-EAQYAiABEgIp4vD_BwE

Combining an XT RD, Shifter and KMC X11 chain will be perfection IMO.

The UFO sized 51 tooth granny gear comes in handy on big climbs: where (some weekend warriors) riders on 1x11 wish they had 1 more gear.

People are strange things, I am a fat, unfit weekend hacker, my previous bike was 11 speed with a 10-42 cassette and 30T chainring, I never felt I needed more climbing gears, in fact I swore outright to my riding buddies that it is more than adequate, fast forward a bit and I now have a 12 speed with 10-51 cassette and a 32T chainring, at first I deliberately did not go to the biggest gear, because I had a point to prove, but then one day I tried it, and it changed my life, now I use it all the time, can climb for longer, and faster than before.

You may not NEED those climbing gears, but sheesh, they are AWESOME to have

How much do you ride? Because when it comes to replacing chains and cassettes 11spd is much cheaper. I had 12 speed GX and it was great would not go any lower on Sram range.

With everything going on the last couple of months I decided to build my bike with 11spd XT and running Sunrace 11-50 cassette. Shifting is great and I won't cry when replacing it (+-R1200 vs +-R3k for GX)

• 2 months later...

I'll say go for the NX and make sure your LBS applies loctite to the pulley wheel retaining bolts. 

Alternatively, but it in parts.

GX rear derailleur,

NX Shifter

NX Cassette

The GX derailleur will gove you the option to go to a 10-52 in future but will still work with other cassettes. Try to future proof yourself as much as possible. This is the cheapest way to go longer term

I'll say go for the NX and make sure your LBS applies loctite to the pulley wheel retaining bolts.

Alternatively, but it in parts.

GX rear derailleur,

NX Shifter

NX Cassette

The GX derailleur will gove you the option to go to a 10-52 in future but will still work with other cassettes. Try to future proof yourself as much as possible. This is the cheapest way to go longer term

Not all GX eagle derailleurs are created equal.

There's the 500% and the 520%, slight differences in pulley wheel placement to accommodate the larger rear sprocket.

If purchasing now, you need to clarify which one. Sram have decided to keep both options available to their consumers.

Also with the 10-52t, it shifts really well, but the 10t jump on the last 2 sprockets is a bit overkill.

Not all GX eagle derailleurs are created equal.

There's the 500% and the 520%, slight differences in pulley wheel placement to accommodate the larger rear sprocket.

If purchasing now, you need to clarify which one. Sram have decided to keep both options available to their consumers.

Also with the 10-52t, it shifts really well, but the 10t jump on the last 2 sprockets is a bit overkill.

If you buy a new SRAM Eagle GX, XO1 or XX1 it will be 52T compatible. This is all CCS is bringing into SA and all SRAM manufactures now.

You only need to specific to avoid buying old stock. Easy to check.

Only the cassette is available in 10-50 or 10-52 options. The derailleur is now 52t compatible. No more choice there.

I've ridden the 52 and the jump isn't that severe if you are running a 34T or bigger chainring. It's not a bailout gear.