Pure Savage

Probably have to agree for race teams reversed order is great, but for the social teams (the bulk) it sucked

No vibe at feedzones as everyone long gone.  No having some free draft from bit faster groups to boost the spirits...   no woosh woosh as top teams speed past..   things that makes the DC and all old timers in our group said they missed the most....

its my 5th DC.  First time social riding it.   Last year 5:43, this year 9:18.. (official)  average power difference only 25%...  it does not get easier if you take longer ....

If i get asked for social ride again, in this years format...  nope, not gonna happen, will definitely do the race thing as one dont care about the rest then....  hope we will have “normal” again soon

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably have to agree for race teams reversed order is great, but for the social teams (the bulk) it sucked

No vibe at feedzones as everyone long gone. No having some free draft from bit faster groups to boost the spirits... no woosh woosh as top teams speed past.. things that makes the DC and all old timers in our group said they missed the most....

its my 5th DC. First time social riding it. Last year 5:43, this year 9:18.. (official) average power difference only 25%... it does not get easier if you take longer ....

If i get asked for social ride again, in this years format... nope, not gonna happen, will definitely do the race thing as one dont care about the rest then.... hope we will have “normal” again soon

Our older timer that has done 18 DC’s says this reminds him more of his first few DC’s when it was just a team time trial.

Our older timer that has done 18 DC’s says this reminds him more of his first few DC’s when it was just a team time trial.

:)

we had 15,13 and few 4-6 dc guys/girls.....  but ja...  probably what makes the DC the DC...  each person returns for his/her own reason....

Edited by Karman de Lange

On the Covid  format:

Positives;

• Safety. - there is very little passing between teams and when it does happen its drama free
  • having the team support vehicle follow is an awesome asset
  • feed and tech zone is less congested and therefore devoid of idiots running around blindly.
  • the format really sorts of the men from the boys. there's nowhere to hide your lack of prep.

Negatives:

• Teams not adhering to the rules - Drafting behind their support vehicle, feeding in the wrong zone at TFZ1
  • Teams drafting each other.

It was a very well organised event and I loved every minute of it. Hats off the organising committee for delivering an outstanding event under difficult circumstances

On the Covid  format:

Positives;

• Safety. - there is very little passing between teams and when it does happen its drama free
  • having the team support vehicle follow is an awesome asset
  • feed and tech zone is less congested and therefore devoid of idiots running around blindly.
  • the format really sorts of the men from the boys. there's nowhere to hide your lack of prep.

Negatives:

• Teams not adhering to the rules - Drafting behind their support vehicle, feeding in the wrong zone at TFZ1
  • Teams drafting each other.

It was a very well organised event and I loved every minute of it. Hats off the organising committee for delivering an outstanding event under difficult circumstances

I had good laugh at start with the temperature readings...  mine was 22C . told lady its wrong, tried scan few other spots and ended at 33..   So i started with severe hypothermia, which definitely helped in the heat later 

No vibe at feedzones as everyone long gone.  No having some free draft from bit faster groups to boost the spirits...   no woosh woosh as top teams speed past..   things that makes the DC and all old timers in our group said they missed the most....

its my 5th DC.  First time social riding it.   Last year 5:43, this year 9:18.. (official)  average power difference only 25%...  it does not get easier if you take longer ....

If i get asked for social ride again, in this years format...  nope, not gonna happen, will definitely do the race thing as one dont care about the rest then....  hope we will have “normal” again soon

Jissis thats a long time to be on the bike in the heat of Saturday. Kudos for the vasbyt

The main negative with this format that I see is sending the less fit people in the worse possible conditions for the longest time, but on the other hand, that also allows the best teams to do the best possible performance so it's also good for the sport.

You'd think that another negative is that if you puncture or drop you won't make it back, but luckily the seeding not being perfect it's not entirely true, we passed quite a few teams, and the Mixed Savages brought back two of our riders into the neutral zone and ended up beating us sarting from behind us so it's all good, there's always a chance if something happens to you before the neutral zone.

I enjoyed this format, but if was my 1st DC so not sure what I like best, but definitely happy we started early, because I don't do well in the heat. I was feeling 100% and strong until 180k but then I was dry as a raisin, 170bpm doing nothing, I could feel my body wasn't too happy with the 41° despite the tailwind. Can't imagine what my day would have been like if we had started an hour later.

Regarding the teams drafting each other, at least in our case it was unintentionnal... We kept on passing the one team on each bump/climb and they kept passing us back going downhill, and every time we were behind them that bloody motorbike was there to tell us to stop drafting, but 20 secs later we'd be back in front of them and same thing kept hapenning over and over again...

The main negative with this format that I see is sending the less fit people in the worse possible conditions for the longest time, but on the other hand, that also allows the best teams to do the best possible performance so it's also good for the sport.

Unfortunately organisers are going to have to choose who to make happy, either the social teams or either the fast teams - can't do both. As much as I like to go as fast as I can on my bike I know it is the social teams that make this event financially sustainable, I expect we will go back to the old format next year (assuming no covid)

Unfortunately organisers are going to have to choose who to make happy, either the social teams or either the fast teams - can't do both. As much as I like to go as fast as I can on my bike I know it is the social teams that make this event financially sustainable, I expect we will go back to the old format next year (assuming no covid)

Exactly, the top 40 teams will race regardless the format, the remaining 80 teams will probably think twice before lining up on the grid if they know they'll be out for 8hrs in 40°

I think if we ever go back to normal regarding covid, it's going to be an easy choice for the organisers

Edited by Jbr

Jissis thats a long time to be on the bike in the heat of Saturday. Kudos for the vasbyt

I take my hat of for the new guys in our team..  We had 3 DC noobs...  It was proper intro into mental endurance...  there was never a complaint.  Never im quitting.  

Some already said they will be back....  gotta love the DC

Exactly, the top 40 teams will race regardless the format, the remaining 80 teams will probably think twice before lining up on the grid if they know they'll be out for 8hrs in 40°

I think if we ever go back to normal regarding covid, it's going to be an easy choice for the organisers

I was chatting to a running coach this morning and she was saying a lot of her clients are not as motivated as in previous years with training as there are not as many events. 

Could be the same for the more social teams at the DC this year that could have come in under cooked as no One Tonner or Durbie Dash to up the fitness. That combined with the heat was killer.

I was chatting to a running coach this morning and she was saying a lot of her clients are not as motivated as in previous years with training as there are not as many events. 

Could be the same for the more social teams at the DC this year that could have come in under cooked as no One Tonner or Durbie Dash to up the fitness. That combined with the heat was killer.

I can definitely relate to that.... I only had one +4hr ride this year. No marathon MTB races, my longest road race was slanghoek and it was 120km. I didn't feel strong at any point in the race. Seems my fitness is only going down since the end of lockdown, I haven't done any proper intervals sessions and picked up a bit of weight. My FTP probably dropped 20 to 30 watts from my highest during lockdown.

Very true PS, was under the illusion that my fitness while not quite up to last year would still be fine. But a 200km event in the heat & wind have this way to shatter illusions. Missed the One Tonner and Durbie Dash big time this year and the extra kilos I'm carrying not helping at all...

Very true PS, was under the illusion that my fitness while not quite up to last year would still be fine. But a 200km event in the heat & wind have this way to shatter illusions. Missed the One Tonner and Durbie Dash big time this year and the extra kilos I'm carrying not helping at all...

The worst part is according to numbers etc 4 weeks ago I was at my best fitness ever. I was just glad I could ride Saturday without painkillers as I found that OLD thread on the hub about how bad it is for Kidneys. It only hurt a lot when there was climbing.