Gravel Bikes - Advice Needed Please

AllAboutRides

Gravel Bikes.....

I see some comes with single chain ring in front and others with two chain rings (like road bike) ?

Which would be the better pick? and will you be able to fit road tyres on a gravel bike?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also looking at getting a gravel bike haha.

Gravel bikes can take road (700C) wheels. I can't answer the 1x vs 2x question except that 1x would probably have a reduced gearing ratio compared to 2x, but be lighter and easier to service.

I dont like a 1x gravel bike. The gearing spacing is too wide for those long days out, and range is limited. Yes weight, simplicity, bla bla. But honestly the range is worth it and the FDs are road, not mtb so they work without hassle.

Personally, hydraulic disks make the biggest difference, followed by tyre width. Then gearing plays its part and frame material follows. But the hydraulic disks are the thing i keep being most grateful for when i hit a section that pushes the bikes and my capability...

I have a built-up Chinese frame as a gravel bike. I run 2x10 with a gravel-specific crank (36x42) if I'm not mistaken, and I alternate between Gravel Tyres and 32C Gatorskins for the road. The bike has actually spent the best part of the last year in road trim as I can still take dirt road shortcuts on the Gators if required.

CeXvR3g.jpg

Ultimately I will have a second set of wheels with dedicated tubeless gravel tyres as switching tyres is a bit of a PITA.

I have a built-up Chinese frame as a gravel bike. I run 2x10 with a gravel-specific crank (36x42) if I'm not mistaken, and I alternate between Gravel Tyres and 32C Gatorskins for the road. The bike has actually spent the best part of the last year in road trim as I can still take dirt road shortcuts on the Gators if required.

CeXvR3g.jpg

Ultimately I will have a second set of wheels with dedicated tubeless gravel tyres as switching tyres is a bit of a PITA.

If you shave your legs you won't feel the resistance of gravel tyres on the tar...........

If you shave your legs you won't feel the resistance of gravel tyres on the tar...........

Also give up beer and drink more milk. Shaving is best if you want to help the other guys in the bunch feel more comfortable pushing your ass up hill, unless that's not your thing...  :ph34r:

Also I would go 2x for gravel - For whatever reason 1x gearing works best for me on big climbing routes. My gravel routes tend to be flatter and faster where 2x gears are better (e.g. rail service roads, district road routes) - when the gradient gets over 10% you are getting into MTB territory (because the roads tend to get a bit rocky and rutted, and MTB shocks become helpful - e.g. Sani Pass, Breedt's Nek where I would generally choose a MTB over a gravel bike). 

Edited by 100Tours

I've never understood the 1x simpler to use logic, if you're smart enough to operate the rear derailleur with 10-12 gears, I'm convinced you'll manage the front with only 2.

The short answer is that 2x setups are more efficient if you're not cross chaining and generally have smaller gaps between gears which makes it easier to ride.

I ride a 50/34 with a 11/32 on my gravel bike and it works fine for everything from CTCT to Montague pass in George.

1x is just simpler to use, for a range of reasons.

BUT ... This does limit your gear range !! So you end up sacrificing top end or climbing gears ...

A 2x system provides such a nice gear range. And also the smaller gaps between gears.

Would be interesting to do a cost comparison ... both components and life cycle costs of 1x vs 2x ....

1x12 certainly aint cheap. And the cheaper options are expensive to maintain ...

1x11 wont have the range for a gravel bike, or suffer even worse jumps ... but cheaper ...

2x? ... would love to hear how these compare ...

Gravel Bikes.....

I see some comes with single chain ring in front and others with two chain rings (like road bike) ?

Which would be the better pick? and will you be able to fit road tyres on a gravel bike?

Majority of the Shimano bikes will come 2x and the ones running Sram 12 speed will be 1x.

Some of them are also CX spec’d bikes and those will be 1x, you’ll hardly find anyone racing CX with 2x.

Majority of the Shimano bikes will come 2x and the ones running Sram 12 speed will be 1x.

Some of them are also CX spec’d bikes and those will be 1x, you’ll hardly find anyone racing CX with 2x.

Most CX bikes are 2x with small jumps up front.

Both MvdP and WvA race 2x. Toon Aerts also definitely races 2x.

Most of the top Pro's race 2x. 

1x really is just mostly the amateur brigade trying to make their road/gravel/cx bike as MTB as possible  :ph34r:

Edited by Jewbacca

Jeeeeezzzz how do they manage to change front gears in that conditions sometimes?

Gravel Bikes.....

If you’re an expert like most hubbers then you go 2x

If you’re a plonker like me who rides a lot of gravel with many hills then go 1 x 12 if you have the budget

I love road bikes and 2 x for now but I have a 42 single chainring and a 10/50 cassette - never run out of gears and plenty granny for the steeper stuff

It’s not marketing hype, it works - nothing wrong with 2x or single ply toilet paper