Spruit,is the old lady suffering

Dopey

Over Dec I prob ran in the spruit almost every time I ran from home.

Last week I had to start running on the roads again for obvious reasons.

Today I realized a problem... Joburg is filling up again and traffic even round the burbs is picking up quickly.

Not taking away from the above commentary it would be nice to get the old lady back in action. I hate running on busy roads.

Another attack today at the entrance of Delta Park.

It’s quickly turning into an almost daily occurrence now.

Until a military type bait and arrest/ kill - action plan is put in place to remove the these violent criminals on the sprait less people will ride there- till it’s just a few brave souls. Police are useless- they to busy manning the beaches for the few swimmers that my be there. No first world country would ever allow this to continue.

Until a military type bait and arrest/ kill - action plan is put in place to remove the these violent criminals on the sprait less people will ride there- till it’s just a few brave souls. Police are useless- they to busy manning the beaches for the few swimmers that my be there. No first world country would ever allow this to continue.

Your tax rands at work . . . . ;-)

Another attack today at the entrance of Delta Park.

It’s quickly turning into an almost daily occurrence now.

Jis man that sucks! Hope the person/s are okay.

I doubt the JHB police have been sent to the coast.

That being said it must be an awkward one at the police station. Admitting to breaking the law when you report a crime against you. A bit like reporting that your getaway vehicle was stolen while you were trespassing.

Like the guy who went to the police station to report that he had been mugged while running on the beach the other day in Muizenberg.. hahahaha

idiot

So, some things to consider...

1. MOST (not all) of the law enforcement being used to police the covid regulations are 'reserve or special' units. The majority of our usual police/law enforcement is business as usual.

2. We are not a 1st world country. We are at best a developing country with large 3rd world pockets still experiencing a population explosion and centralization. 

3. A 'bait/kill' operation is illegal. It shows premeditated violence. Patrol the areas or set up private security for a monthly fee/membership. Expecting the Spruit to carry on safe, maintained and free of charge is really having your cake and eating it.

4. London knife crime and gang violence is up about 400%. American violence is also on the rise. 1st world countries aren't impervious to crime syndicates. The amount of people getting robbed on the Spruit vs the amount of people being robbed and raped in the poorer areas in laughable, so while it sucks that the rich are being targeted, 5 a month or even 5 a week don't compare to the hundreds a day in the townships.

Times have changed. the 2% are no longer the most important people in SA and we are all still trying to figure out how to deal with that. Expecting civil servants to hop too because the bossman snaps his fingers is no longer relevant, yet we still expect it.

Like hospitals, transport and most other basic services, if you want to ive in SA and you want said services, you need to privatise. Complaining how useless the police/government etc are but then still expecting them to provide said services is by definition, insanity

• 3 months later...

Nancy Drew.... there is a name i haven’t seen in years.

Yep, I haven't been here for a while, other than to buy and sell stuff :)

I thought the Delta Park article was worth a share though.

honestly non trained volunteers that are not armed doing security patrols in an area that has been hammered with armed robberies for a while. That is not going to end well...  Knife beats panic button long before security will get there.

Given that they can't even enforce the basic rules in the park like picking up dog poo, not fishing, not squatting etc etc you can't expect the crime to ever be 100% clear. So stay alert, be careful not to put yourself at too much risk and that is all you can really do.

Maybe once word gets out, the knowledge that there are eyes and ears in the park might serve as some kind of deterrent? One can only hope. 

Sadly, I agree with your sentiments, so for me I just stay away for now.

And to think that 5 years ago I would happily and comfortably ride through Delta Park alone on a regular basis. What a pathetic state our country is in.