Missing Cyclist - Rietvlei

Mojoman

10 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

This suggests that if one comes across someone wandering around aimlessly while out riding and generally not making sense that they have been concussed (clear distinction needs to apply such as do they look like they belong on a bike instead...so as not to be confused with the general riff raff of society doing the same but being more chemically concussed). I had similar rantings when I had major concussion such as having a lengthy chat with my cousin about her brother and myself planning a trip to OZ to go ride the trails around that part of the world. She does not have a brother. There was no trip. I've never been to OZ.

When I think of iceid tags I always think back to my dads accident.

71 years old, knocked off his bike on a busy main road. Was not concussed but certainly daised and confused (and in pain). Was it not for someone he knows driving past and recognising him and recognising he was in distress who knows what would have happened.

Hence mine goes on for every ride, and if I do happen to forget the wrist tag (hard to do as it always sits in my helmet when not on my arm), then my helmet has a tag on

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

but they do sell that!

The purpose of wearing a Chakra bracelet, beyond the evident beauty of the gemstones used, is to harmonize, balance, open, and heal the different chakra regions.

yoh!  did not know they sold those.

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

ok, I'm more than happy to be wrong here. let's just say livestrong and powerbalance might have clouded my judgement on what is acceptable here.

but these okes must be making a fortune. the margins must be amazing.

I did some looking around, they all cost this much, so maybe I'm missing something.

and medicalert.co.za do still exist, but seemed to have missed the boat on this.

I fail to see your argument with regard to things like powerbalance as this is a medical information for peace of mind and not to give you any perceived powers.

If you don't see value in it, don't buy it.

Alternatively generate a QR Code online, then print the QR code with the medical symbol on to sticky labels and stick onto your helmet or bike.  A first responder can easily then read the QR code and get relevant information.

Very strange that no-one has mentioned Garmin's crash detection function.

Its certainly a better option than waiting for someone to find you in the bushes and read your ICE info.

21 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

but they do sell that!

The purpose of wearing a Chakra bracelet, beyond the evident beauty of the gemstones used, is to harmonize, balance, open, and heal the different chakra regions.

Well,what more do you want .Sounds a bargain

5 minutes ago, shaper said:

I fail to see your argument with regard to things like powerbalance as this is a medical information for peace of mind and not to give you any perceived powers.

If you don't see value in it, don't buy it.

Alternatively generate a QR Code online, then print the QR code with the medical symbol on to sticky labels and stick onto your helmet or bike.  A first responder can easily then read the QR code and get relevant information.

My experience with QR codes in my line of business, most people have no clue what to do with them.

I generated QR codes for all our cars that take you to brochures and specs, nobody knew how to work them. Even with instructions next to them.

I'm certain a paramedic will be better educated, but I'm not taking that chance.

6 minutes ago, Glenmx said:

Very strange that no-one has mentioned Garmin's crash detection function.

Its certainly a better option than waiting for someone to find you in the bushes and read your ICE info.

its all about covering as many bases as possible.

I have live tracking activated and my wife knows more or less how long I should be away, if I'm taking to long she checks to see where I am and if I'm moving.

Edited by ouzo
added extra info

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

My experience with QR codes in my line of business, most people have no clue what to do with them.

I generated QR codes for all our cars that take you to brochures and specs, nobody knew how to work them. Even with instructions next to them.

I'm certain a paramedic will be better educated, but I'm not taking that chance.

I have had an ICE bracelet for many many years, I also have a QR code on my helmet, so try to cover all bases too. 

1 minute ago, shaper said:

I have had an ICE bracelet for many many years, I also have a QR code on my helmet, so try to cover all bases too. 

Please tell more of the qr code

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

pretty simple really. Google free QR code generator.  It will give you a few options of what kind of info you want. Pic one that will enable you to have your ICE info pop up when the code is scanned.

Anyone with a smart phone can then point their camera at the code, it will pop up a link on their phone that will take them to the info you specified.

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Google QR Generator and you will be able to put in relevant information and generate a QR code to download.

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

ok, I'm more than happy to be wrong here. let's just say livestrong and powerbalance might have clouded my judgement on what is acceptable here.

but these okes must be making a fortune. the margins must be amazing.

I did some looking around, they all cost this much, so maybe I'm missing something.

and medicalert.co.za do still exist, but seemed to have missed the boat on this.

The medicalert "version" is considerably more expensive.....

https://www.medicalert.co.za/product/18mm-rubber-strap-extra-length-with-buckle/

I just ordered 2 ICED bracelets / helmet tag combos for me and the wife. 

I think R350 each for the combo and the potential life saving value it holds is a small price to pay. 

This is not even 10 coffees. 

8 minutes ago, Dust46! said:

The medicalert "version" is considerably more expensive.....

https://www.medicalert.co.za/product/18mm-rubber-strap-extra-length-with-buckle/

Is there not more to this though ?

Think they keep a record of alergies etc, more info than on the bracelet alone.... in which case there is significant costs to maintain a database and be available at all times that paramedics may need this info ...

At least that is what I heard decades ago ....

Would appreciate update info on this

2 minutes ago, Bundu Ric said:

I just ordered 2 ICED bracelets / helmet tag combos for me and the wife. 

I think R350 each for the combo and the potential life saving value it holds is a small price to pay. 

This is not even 10 coffees. 

well that's why I'll never get my point across. if you're paying R700 for 9? coffees then you roll in a different league to me. [comic sans intended]

jokes aside. most people have clearly missed my point as they're all harping on about the safety aspect. I'm not debating that. I'm saying a R3000 helmet is not better than a R1000 helmet, and to be dead honest helmets should cost R150 because they are cheap to make.

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Is there not more to this though ?

Think they keep a record of alergies etc, more info than on the bracelet alone.... in which case there is significant costs to maintain a database and be available at all times that paramedics may need this info ...

At least that is what I heard decades ago ....

Would appreciate update info on this

I think you pay R37 a month for the membership, as far as i can tell.

https://www.medicalert.co.za/membership-sign-up-form/#top