sram eagle gripshift(is it "in" or just a waste?)

Arnostokes

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bit of arthritis in my right thumb. Changed to a grip shift about 18 months  ago. Never looked back. Awesome crisp shifting. 

I think a lot of people are put off by gripshift because of experiences with the absolutely terrible first editions of it in the late 90s early 2000s. 

I remember in school having gripshift and everyone thought it was so cool, but it required almost weekly adjustment and it was actually just rubbish. So when it started making a comeback a while back I thought it would be the same. But this thread has me thinking maybe it's worth a second shot.

But, I But if Shimano made it, they would have got it right the first time around...????

3 hours ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

I think a lot of people are put off by gripshift because of experiences with the absolutely terrible first editions of it in the late 90s early 2000s. 

I remember in school having gripshift and everyone thought it was so cool, but it required almost weekly adjustment and it was actually just rubbish. So when it started making a comeback a while back I thought it would be the same. But this thread has me thinking maybe it's worth a second shot.

But, I But if Shimano made it, they would have got it right the first time around...????

You mean like the absolutely horrendous Shimano Revoshift? 

9 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

. A front triple shifter would be a great 3 position suspension adjust 

Agreed. 

33 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

You mean like the absolutely horrendous Shimano Revoshift? 

I was also going to say, pretty sure the revoshift is terrible. They also make a NEXUS version for their internal gear hubs. 

I love the idea of grip shift, but I find it much more difficult to shift while braking than with a traditional shifter.

For that reason alone, I'm out.

That dropper hack is a great idea though.

Love mine. the ability to shift almost the whole cassette range when a hill suddenly appears around a corner is very helpful. and with the new twistlock that works like gripshift but for lockout you cant get a cleaner cockpit.

Gripshift on 12 speed seems like the motion similar to that of a moto throttle….

was never a fan of gripshift.

Edited by RocknRolla

22 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

Gripshift on 12 speed seems like the motion similar to that of a moto throttle….

was never a fan of gripshift.

It doesn't move unless you want it too. 

Best part about it that it doesn't smash your knee cap if you have an OTB moment

How are they with jumping and spirited riding? 

Back in the day you would need to move the shifter all the way to the left of your grip to prevent accidental shifts when pulling back on the bars to get the front up. 

25 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Back in the day you would need to move the shifter all the way to the left of your grip to prevent accidental shifts when pulling back on the bars to get the front up. 

you kind of have to learn not to hold the grips inboard....that will cause a problem.

I have seen some peeps riding wiiiiider bars but the brakes and shifters are much further inboard. because they prefer the narrower distance between the hands. So they tend to grip the bars in the inboard area of the grips. If a rider prefers to have this type of set up where the wider bar is just for resting the hands on the ends then simply fit the gripshift at the end of a normal width grip and not the shortened gripshift specific grip.   Or just use a trigger shifter

37 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Just measure your hand width when holding onto the handlebar. you cut your grip at that length and shifter sits inwards of that. so in order to shift you just move your hand onto the shifter. never hand an accidental shift in my life. also Extra chunky grips are identical in thickness as the shifter so no need to use the grips provided with the shifter. Will post a picture of mine when I get home.

5 minutes ago, no calves said:

Just measure your hand width when holding onto the handlebar. you cut your grip at that length and shifter sits inwards of that. so in order to shift you just move your hand onto the shifter. never hand an accidental shift in my life. also Extra chunky grips are identical in thickness as the shifter so no need to use the grips provided with the shifter. Will post a picture of mine when I get home.

spot on

I've used silicone grips with grip shift for ages. The position of the Gripshift can be as tailored as a trigger