2 Grease Or Not 2 Grease

love2fly

Does anyone Grease their shift cables where they pass through the (mostly plastic?) cable guides externally under the BB? Asking with reference to my roadbike. If I get juice in that area my front derailleur can be literally stuck on the small blade. Bike is a Supersix Evo Black Inc....all my Treks never had this issue.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have sprayed Q8 on some of my cables to reduce friction. It can however also be a dust collector, but on my MTB it hasn't been an issue after quite some km's.

Agree with Paul, stay away from normal grease. I would consider something like teflon or silicon grease but not sure how available it is. We use it at work on quite a range of non-metals.

Just keep it clean.  If you shift the chain to the biggest sprocket on the cassette and then shift down without turning the chain you can usually get enough slack on the cable to give it and the guide under the BB a good clean.  I wash the juice off after every ride - before it turns to toffee.

Melt some candles into an old cookie tin. Drop ya **** cables in there and melt the wax, swish around a bit. You'll be surprised. Even the cheapest of cheap cables (i.e. SunRace @ R18 or so a cable from Sportsmans Whorehouse) work amazingly well for many a month post this.

1 hour ago, David Marshall said:

Just keep it clean.  If you shift the chain to the biggest sprocket on the cassette and then shift down without turning the chain you can usually get enough slack on the cable to give it and the guide under the BB a good clean.  I wash the juice off after every ride - before it turns to toffee.

Who doesn't have internal cabling?

1 hour ago, love2fly said:

If I get juice in that area

Seems like the answer is right there...

2 hours ago, Thermophage said:

Melt some candles into an old cookie tin. Drop ya **** cables in there and melt the wax, swish around a bit. You'll be surprised. Even the cheapest of cheap cables (i.e. SunRace @ R18 or so a cable from Sportsmans Whorehouse) work amazingly well for many a month post this.

Paste wax should also work well. Cures hard, doesn't attract dust. Surfaces stay smooth.

1 minute ago, stefmeister said:

Paste wax should also work well. Cures hard, doesn't attract dust. Surfaces stay smooth.

Yeah, but again, warm it up and it'll more easily penetrate between the strands (OFC on the non sealed, cheaper, cables).

5 hours ago, Gerhard765 said:

I have sprayed Q8 on some of my cables to reduce friction. It can however also be a dust collector, but on my MTB it hasn't been an issue after quite some km's.

Agree with Paul, stay away from normal grease. I would consider something like teflon or silicon grease but not sure how available it is. We use it at work on quite a range of non-metals.

You can get grease containing teflon at sportsmans warehouse i think