Persistent shoulders/neck pain after bike fit

Stevie G

13 hours ago, Martin PJ said:

My random advice for older guys who suffer with back and neck pain while riding (besides bike fit which is a great idea) is to get a gaming chair. The last year of working from home I used a gaming chair and it made a big difference to upper back and neck pain.

Whats a gaming chair and where do i get one - I spend way too much time in front of monitors and keyboards as well. Eventually money is not the object its comfort. I honestly know that at the end of a Friday my back is bad so Sat ride is always with tight shoulders and then Sunday i feel normal again. Now we are on office chairs ????

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, ouzo said:

*** sitting here waiting for my VO2 max spike. Hopefully will come before sunday **** 

Maybe thats why I need to wait 28 days after vaccine.

I can't explain it TBH. Also saw an increase in max  HR post vaccine ,  even the Garmin graphs show it and the max HR goes up. I am an old diesel i.e. 152 beats is like max seen once in the last 5 years. After vaccine Garmin starts to show max HR increases. Looking at training load its lower than last year and i haven't been doing anything other than low intensity.

I am not a serious rider any more  - just like the data and a Saturday and Sunday ride but  its unexplainable. VO2 Max increases but prior to that max HR increases? Its the same VO2 max i. had when i was properly fit and serious about riding.

The thing is i cant find what changed - sleeping better and maybe less stressed but yeah its all pretty subjective.

7 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Whats a gaming chair and where do i get one - I spend way too much time in front of monitors and keyboards as well. Eventually money is not the object its comfort. I honestly know that at the end of a Friday my back is bad so Sat ride is always with tight shoulders and then Sunday i feel normal again. Now we are on office chairs ????

Get onto a gaming PC site, like Evetech.co.za and look at gaming chairs, prices start from about R2000. With this type of chair it is more difficult to hunch forward with your shoulders clenched.

5 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

I can't explain it TBH. Also saw an increase in max  HR post vaccine ,  even the Garmin graphs show it and the max HR goes up. I am an old diesel i.e. 152 beats is like max seen once in the last 5 years. After vaccine Garmin starts to show max HR increases. Looking at training load its lower than last year and i haven't been doing anything other than low intensity.

I am not a serious rider any more  - just like the data and a Saturday and Sunday ride but  its unexplainable. VO2 Max increases but prior to that max HR increases? Its the same VO2 max i. had when i was properly fit and serious about riding.

The thing is i cant find what changed - sleeping better and maybe less stressed but yeah its all pretty subjective.

well my VO2 max dropped when I had covid, the apps says its back where it was, but the body says otherwise

2 hours ago, Spafsack said:

Andreas, i had the same sit bone pain, race after race i entered, after 20min i could feel it. After bike fit, sit bone test, ended up with spez saddle, ciovita bibs, all sorted. Maybe get someone to take a pic of you on your bike, side on pic, maybe the clever guys here can spot something. 

I think I tried all the Spez saddles, phenom, Romin, Power, Power Arc elaston. Maybe the Romin was the best but same as you, severe pain after 20 minutes 

Edited by Andreas_187

3 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

You guys all riding around with Metabolic carts measuring all this Vo2?

Nope just using the Garmin connect software. So agreed its not totally accurate. But it's best we have got.  And its got tons of data in it from the years of riding. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. As long as the errors are consistent then its useful.

I think it's just a change in the Garmin algorithm. Fitness age has also changed dramatically.

24 minutes ago, Oodles said:

I think it's just a change in the Garmin algorithm. Fitness age has also changed dramatically.

you raining on my parade? 

Okay would be interesting to see - why you saying that - haas there been something published?

17 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

The inside points of my sit bones stick into the saddle right here. 

IMG_20211005_000927_copy_568x1152.jpg

Any saddle/bike fit advice from anyone else. I went out this morning and confirmed this is exactly where the bones hit the saddle 

1 hour ago, Andreas_187 said:

Any saddle/bike fit advice from anyone else. I went out this morning and confirmed this is exactly where the bones hit the saddle 

Do the DIY saddle test and let us know the result. That is the first step in finding the right saddle.

That said - just about everything on a bike affects saddle comfort.

Have you checked to see if your saddle is completely level?

1 hour ago, Andreas_187 said:

Possibly try a women's saddle (just don't tell your mates). I tried a a Fizik Vesta years ago (after buying one for the G-friend), now all my bikes have this model!

2 hours ago, Eldron said:

Do the DIY saddle test and let us know the result. That is the first step in finding the right saddle.

That said - just about everything on a bike affects saddle comfort.

Have you checked to see if your saddle is completely level?

Like I said, I have been to 4 well known fitters. We've had the saddle up, down forward and back. I've tried all the saddles and tilted them everywhere from +2 to -7.

Does the DIY saddle test involve buying 12 more saddles? 

19 minutes ago, Andreas_187 said:

Like I said, I have been to 4 well known fitters. We've had the saddle up, down forward and back. I've tried all the saddles and tilted them everywhere from +2 to -7.

Does the DIY saddle test involve buying 12 more saddles? 

The DIY test is in one of my previous posts. Surely between the 4 fitters you got your pelvis measured?