Bike tools. Which set and where to get it?

SundayCycler

Hi all,

I am looking to get into maintaining and upgrading my own bicycles. As much as I enjoy giving support to the local shop, I feel I need to learn how to work on a bicycle.

Seeing as I have little to no experience with maintaining and upgrading a bicycle I was wondering what would be the best to go far. Should I get a pre-packaged set or by the tools individually? If going for a set should I go big or would a stock standard set work just as well?
Also, after looking around I haven't found much in terms of sets for sale locally on the internet; mostly generic no name sets which I am wary of.

I am looking for something that has all the tools to replace a drivetrain, bottom bracket and also be able to remove the fork and install a new one.
One requirement I have is that I need a BB remover tool for both square taper as well as hollowtech.

The set that I though of getting was the Icetoolz 82A8 Ultimate Tool Kit. Would this set be good enough? I know I'll need to get a BB remover tool for the square taper on top of this.

Some advice or direction would go a long way. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, SundayCycler said:

Hi all,

I am looking to get into maintaining and upgrading my own bicycles. As much as I enjoy giving support to the local shop, I feel I need to learn how to work on a bicycle.

Seeing as I have little to no experience with maintaining and upgrading a bicycle I was wondering what would be the best to go far. Should I get a pre-packaged set or by the tools individually? If going for a set should I go big or would a stock standard set work just as well?
Also, after looking around I haven't found much in terms of sets for sale locally on the internet; mostly generic no name sets which I am wary of.

I am looking for something that has all the tools to replace a drivetrain, bottom bracket and also be able to remove the fork and install a new one.
One requirement I have is that I need a BB remover tool for both square taper as well as hollowtech.

The set that I though of getting was the Icetoolz 82A8 Ultimate Tool Kit. Would this set be good enough? I know I'll need to get a BB remover tool for the square taper on top of this.

Some advice or direction would go a long way. Thanks.

Personally I cant justify buying one of those complete sets, there will probably be some tools in there that you will never use.

I suggest, before you tackle a specific job, check what tools you require for that job, do the job and wait for the next "spending opportunity" and repeat the cycle until you have all the tools you need and only the tools you need.

I only take my bike in for shock & fork services, the rest I do myself.  Its very rewarding fixing & maintaining your own bike, enjoy !

It would all be budget depending

Dont skip on a really good allen key set, they go a really long way

The rest would really depend on what you would want to do, but stuff like cassette tool, bb tool, chain breakers etc I would buy separately 

Buy tools individually as you require them I'd say. Start with the basics

• Cassette removal tool
  • Chain whip
  • External BB tool
  • Spline BB tool (for square taper)
  • Crank extraction tool (for square taper)
  • Cable cutter - This is essential
  • Chain breaker
  • Cone spanners (if you run cup and cone bearings)

for purpose built tools Parktool is fine but for anything general go with UNIOR ( allen keys , hammers , spanners ) they last longer and the tolerances are slightly better than PARK 

21 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

for purpose built tools Parktool is fine but for anything general go with UNIOR ( allen keys , hammers , spanners ) they last longer and the tolerances are slightly better than PARK 

Hey bud, 

Where do you get your UNIOR goodies from? (Cogent)?

I buy From ORE Energy directly , Torq zone academy love to say they sell unior bike tools but never have stock and never answer queries 

I asked in Nov 2019 about a very specific spanner , ORE energy delivered the spanner just before covid hit and I'm still waiting for Torq zone to respond 

9 hours ago, Barry said:

Hey bud, 

Where do you get your UNIOR goodies from? (Cogent)?

4 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

I buy From ORE Energy directly , Torq zone academy love to say they sell unior bike tools but never have stock and never answer queries 

I asked in Nov 2019 about a very specific spanner , ORE energy delivered the spanner just before covid hit and I'm still waiting for Torq zone to respond 

Ok cool i am looking for a crank puller for Campy Power Torque crank. Park want an arm and leg as do J&J

On 10/31/2021 at 4:36 PM, Alouette3 said:

Buy tools individually as you require them I'd say. Start with the basics

• Cassette removal tool
  • Chain whip
  • External BB tool
  • Spline BB tool (for square taper)
  • Crank extraction tool (for square taper)
  • Cable cutter - This is essential
  • Chain breaker
  • Cone spanners (if you run cup and cone bearings)

Lets add to these

set of Allan keys - get the long ones with ball ends preferably T bar type

Set of Torx keys - Get the T bar ones

cycle specific torque wrench - up to 15Nm

Long nose pliers

Side cutters for crimping cable ends

Chain Quick link removal pliers

Spoke wrench

Set of proper tire levers

valve core removal tool

pedal spanner - or a normal 15mm flat spanner will do.

Oh and one of those magnetic st/st dishes - Or you be looking for **** on the floor all day

small LED torch for when you forget to use the magnetic dish 

Shock pump

2 or 3 of those flat plastic boxes with compartments 

An ipad that connects to YouTube University

You should be good to go

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Ok cool i am looking for a crank puller for Campy Power Torque crank. Park want an arm and leg as do J&J

I got the PARK Tool CBP - 8 for power Torque cranks and ultra Torque bearings. - Never used it though maybe one day !! 

42 minutes ago, SundayCycler said:

Thanks all for the tips and advice.
I think I won't rush and get a full set and will start building up my tool collection when the need arises.

I guess I found another money sink ????

Difficult to really answer, without knowing your technical skill level.

Often people with existing technical skills already have most of the basic tools.  Then it makes even more sense to just by the bits that you need.

If you have minimal technical skills background .... uhm ja .... this certainly aint rocket science, and thanks to so many YouTube videos it is easier than ever to gain the skills as and when needed.  However, please note that often the videos are not explicit in the year model for part, i.e. older vs newer breaks, and what works on one may cause damage on anaother !!  Certainly so much easier gaining these skills if you have a cycling buddy that can help you get started down this rabbit hole.

Seeing these things done makes it is much easier to pick up the skills, and to really see what tools are "must haves".

Starting out it is easy to buy tools that you dont really need.

Worth taking a step back, and also plan ahead in terms of how you plan to "store" these tools .....  I hate a "tool box", that item you need is always at the bottom of the pile ....

Edited by ChrisF

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that it would be better to build up some good tools over time.
https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/beginners-guide-bike-tools-207824

Cheap tools don't last and they can damage your bike (round off bolts etc). Those tool kits seem like a great idea, but you quickly realise that they are not.
It would also be interesting to see how many of the tools in the kit you would not use.

R6000 vs R800 (they are both on the extreme ends the range)

https://www.takealot.com/park-tool-ak-5-advanced-mechanic-tool-selection/PLID72176244

https://www.takealot.com/bike-repair-tool-kit-set-44-parts/PLID70519410

A big issue (around the work) that will affect your choice, is the availability of the bits and pieces that you want.
So you may end up with a few cheapies to fill some gaps

On 11/1/2021 at 3:53 PM, BaGearA said:

https://www.oreeps.co.za/page/products-1

these guys?

if yes thanks for the lead

4 hours ago, splat said:

I would say that it would be better to build up some good tools over time.
https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/beginners-guide-bike-tools-207824

Cheap tools don't last and they can damage your bike (round off bolts etc). Those tool kits seem like a great idea, but you quickly realise that they are not.
It would also be interesting to see how many of the tools in the kit you would not use.

R6000 vs R800 (they are both on the extreme ends the range)

https://www.takealot.com/park-tool-ak-5-advanced-mechanic-tool-selection/PLID72176244

https://www.takealot.com/bike-repair-tool-kit-set-44-parts/PLID70519410

A big issue (around the work) that will affect your choice, is the availability of the bits and pieces that you want.
So you may end up with a few cheapies to fill some gaps

I agree, and often coplete tool sets don't have the special tools most bikes seem to require these days. Just look at Bottom Bracket tools.

Bikeshops a multituve of 44mOD 12 notch sockets for SRAM Dub and 16 notch for Shimano BB's but many sell 16 notch 48.5mm diameter Wheels manufacturing bottom brackets but not the tools. So you need specific tools for the bb on your bike. take stock of what bots your bike is equipped with and start with those. A BBB torque rench is a good start, chain breaker, chain whip and bearing puller and press will cover you for most jobs.

Edited by DieselnDust