Is the Pope Catholic?

Unless the Giro rides on the white sections,  the answer is... Si
Map of Italian Wine Regions | Wine Folly

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Venaria Reale, the start of the Giro for the second time in my living memory, is always special for me. My first of three (business) trips to Italy took me to the company's head office in Venaria, in the same street that the race starts. Columbia HTC won the Team TT that year (2011) which started in Venaria and ended in the Piazza Vittorio (largest square in Torino).

Then of course, there's the Superga (just one ascent this time, compared to 2022 which had two), a symbol of the plane that crashed with Juve players on board; visible from Piazza Vittorio.

But it doesn't stop there. Stage 3 passes by Alba, home to another Italian company I've worked for, and visited twice. They stay north of the river, so viewers probably won't even know it when they pass by.

giro-d-italia-2011-stage-1-map-2bdc50bcf5.jpg

giro-d-italia-2024-stage-1-map-f59321c838.jpg

giro-d-italia-2022-stage-14-map-d0238dfd2a.jpg

Stage 3 (Alba)
Home of Ferrero (Nutella, Rocher and lot more).
image.png.8ed034e28fdcefcd606942d2066c5da2.png

Sorry a bit off topic.

I cant seem to find any scheduled TV coverage of the Giro on DSTV. Any one found it or is it not being broadcast by DSTV this year? Thanks

31 minutes ago, Barklyboy said:

Sorry a bit off topic.

I cant seem to find any scheduled TV coverage of the Giro on DSTV. Any one found it or is it not being broadcast by DSTV this year? Thanks

It was mentioned here that DStv isn't showing it.

2 hours ago, Barklyboy said:

Sorry a bit off topic.

VERY much on topic! DSTV schedule seems to be a revolving dartboard at the moment. There have been other races that have magically appeared at the last minute, so who knows.

Commercially, multichoice is obviously bleeding $$$ and I doubt cycling brings in much from however they measure it. There's some people at cecil nurse, omnico and marriot that seem to want to watch it, but I guess it's been a passion project.

beyond that, who knows what the broadcasting goes for in an african backwater, will RCS take a last ditch offer at a lower price?

i'm guessing this would be the first grand tour not to be covered in living memory

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

VERY much on topic! DSTV schedule seems to be a revolving dartboard at the moment. There have been other races that have magically appeared at the last minute, so who knows.

Commercially, multichoice is obviously bleeding $$$ and I doubt cycling brings in much from however they measure it. There's some people at cecil nurse, omnico and marriot that seem to want to watch it, but I guess it's been a passion project.

beyond that, who knows what the broadcasting goes for in an african backwater, will RCS take a last ditch offer at a lower price?

i'm guessing this would be the first grand tour not to be covered in living memory

Perhaps RAI will give us a bit of a peek??

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Hope they do. Because it won't be on supersport 

IMG-20240503-WA0043.jpg

I'll rather have the Giro....

I hope Pozzo gets the job done… not many can do what his just about to do!

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 respecto! 

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

Supersport is currently broadcasting on 206... 

Some negotiations must have been successful 

Thank you. This is a relief, as I was struggling to stream. 

From the armchair critic: I know it's only stage 1 but I dont feel confident in Pogacars performance today, he may survive Giro but come the Tour we may see a new winner. A fresh Pogacar these guys will not hang on his wheel when he attacks up a climb, if they do he almost always will take the sprint, yeah I know he got no assistance after the descent so naturally wouldn't have the bite for sprint. I just feel he is carrying lots of fatigue from the all the 2024 races thus far.

11 hours ago, milky4130 said:

From the armchair critic: I know it's only stage 1 but I dont feel confident in Pogacars performance today, he may survive Giro but come the Tour we may see a new winner. A fresh Pogacar these guys will not hang on his wheel when he attacks up a climb, if they do he almost always will take the sprint, yeah I know he got no assistance after the descent so naturally wouldn't have the bite for sprint. I just feel he is carrying lots of fatigue from the all the 2024 races thus far.

2024:
4 races - 1 was a stage race.
11 race days in total
Where is all the racing and fatigue coming from?