Attakwas 2022

DIPSLICK

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, BottelaryHillBuddy said:

Planned to do the event this year 2021 but my baby boy was born on 32 weeks the tuesday before the event. I trust that if all goes well I will be riding in January 2022 but will opt for a last minute entry. 

Congratulations :thumbup:

Will also wait until 2nd January ....

damn covid numbers in Europe is looking super bad, and all the signs are here that we are at the start of the 4th wave ....  

On 11/17/2021 at 11:03 AM, jcza said:

Will be number 9 for me. Hope to find some form. Still the toughest day on a bike for me other than maybe the Ultra at Sabie. 

So glad somebody else agrees. I've done both, but the Sabie Ultra (probably about 10 years back now) was a beast. Somehow those long section of the Attakwas in the kloof itself seem almost tranquil; but that could just be my memory fading after not having had the chance to ride it for a few years now due to the mid to late January start.

On 11/18/2021 at 3:47 PM, babse said:

make kla!

I'm looking for accommodation already and enquired about car transfer

Negative, just decided this weekend that if I'm not going to be race ready in time that I'm not going all the way for a sufferfest. Need to count every penny these days where races are concerned.

On 11/18/2021 at 3:00 PM, jcza said:

Me thinks we need a training camp in December out van Gaalen way> park at Bru House - shebeen and back 

Let me know when, You never know I may pop along with a cooler box of cold beers to help with your hydration...... 

I’ll be pulling towards Cape Town on Friday 

now I’m in two minds to take my Dual for attakwas as I’m already taking my Grinder and my daughters bike, don’t want to shlep a 3rd bike for 8 weeks over multiple stops to have squirrel cancel events????????

Any ideas/ASSumptions news what do you guys think, with the ramp in numbers do you think the event will go ahead come January 15th, some logistics needed for the joberg boytjies 

11 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

Any ideas/ASSumptions news what do you guys think, with the ramp in numbers do you think the event will go ahead come January 15th, some logistics needed for the joberg boytjies 

Cautiously optimistic, based on the current increase in vaccination rate and the fourth wave modelling figures released via DoH/Gauteng. Preliminary estimates indicate _+ 4k hospitalisation rate, compared to 9.5k during the third wave. Despite the ramp in numbers, early indications are that the symptoms are generally mild for most. 

Encouraging news at least. 

4 hours ago, DIPSLICK said:

Wait 10 days ....

Still too early to know (guess) how the 4th wave is going .... 

Sundays papers were a lucky packet of every second article guessing a different outcome .... only one common thread in all of these articles :"It is early days, and we have lots to learn about the new variant"