Fox 32 vs Fox 34

Dominic Jarvis

Hi all,

I'm looking at upgrading my bike to a dual sus and the bike that has taken my fancy has a Fox 34 on it, which i believe has 130mm travel.  There is another bike that is a possible contender and it has a Fox 32 on it 100mm travel.

My question is this would I notice much of a difference on climbs between the two options and secondly would the 34 be too much fork for an XC bike?

Thanks in advance 

Google "over fork" + your bike brand / model

You might just be lucky and someone else have done it and shared the experienced

modern downcountry bikes with 120-130mm forks climb really well....and on a descent they will be hugely different to 100mm FS bikes

it all really depends what kind of riding you do...perhaps tell us more on your expectations and also which bike you are looking at?

The Fox 34 Step Cast comes in 100-120mm of travel. There are some new 2022 bikes that are running the 100mm travel option on a 34 setup. So depending on which bike you are looking at, I would just confirm the fork travel first.

No such thing as 'too much fork' for a layman not close to being fit enough to notive the marginal weight difference.

A 34mm fork will always be the right answer.

(says the guy who will soon ride a 32mm stanchion fork)

Sounds like the question is more what kind of bike you want and what kind of riding you want to do 100 to 130mm are likely design for different kinda riding.

The 32 is still good at 100mm, anything over 120mm and the 32 gets a bit noodle like and you want the extra stiffness.

If you a recreational rider go for the comfort and geometry that 130mm will likely give you. Maybe tell us what bikes you considering where your ride.

8 hours ago, ph8te46@gmail.com said:

Hi all,

I'm looking at upgrading my bike to a dual sus and the bike that has taken my fancy has a Fox 34 on it, which i believe has 130mm travel.  There is another bike that is a possible contender and it has a Fox 32 on it 100mm travel.

My question is this would I notice much of a difference on climbs between the two options and secondly would the 34 be too much fork for an XC bike?

Thanks in advance 

Depending on exactly which model of fork you are looking at, probably between 300 to 400g difference.

What are the two bikes in question ?
Sounds like they are two very different machines (trail vs XC race).
There will also be a difference in weight of the whole bike, so the fork weight alone wouldn't/shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Edited by splat

26 minutes ago, ph8te46@gmail.com said:

I'm looking at a Giant Anthem 2 with a Fox 32 and a Scott spark 940 with the 34 on it.

Just my take

two different bikes like you have here so which fork you have on it shouldnt be the only factor.

Frame Geo and suspension design are different between these bikes which will have a bigger impact on how the bike rides (and how you interface with the bike) than whether it has a 32mm 100m fork VS a 34mm 120mm fork.

Slap that 34mm 120mm travel fork on the Giant and its still a different bike to the Spark.

Edit: You should have started out the post saying you have your eye on the Spark 940 (insert year model) but this Giant Anthem 2 (insert year model) is also flirting with you

Edited by YaseenEnos

7 hours ago, ph8te46@gmail.com said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance 

How much MTB experience o you have?

Where do you ride mostly?

What do you weight? What is your Height? What is your strength like?