The PRO Gravel Thread

'Dale

As I finish typing that, they switch to the whittled down chase group and the gap is coming down.
We have a race on our hands!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Audacious riding by the top two, yoh. 37.5 km/h average speed for the winter. 
Canyon dominating the podium; Some lekka promotional material there for ze German brand. 
And some flex there for the trade team in Alpecin-Fenix. GvA shows some good form there nogal.

Questions about the course remain. The sterrato of the Tuscan hills would’ve been expected. 
17th for Matt Beers - his SA’s own Daniel Oss. Superb result. 

22 minutes ago, jcza said:

Hmmm…. not sure that was worthy of a rainbow jersey. 

Say more, Bruuuuu

Lots of complaints from the gravel brigade about course,altitude,technically etc.

I still believe regardless what course they set the WT riders would still dominate.If they set a course more technical and climbing I believe the time gaps back to the gravel brigade would be even bigger.Next year will be even harder as I expect more of the WT riders to be on the start line.End of season for them so would be a bit of fun for them.Imagine Poggi and Pidcock on the line👍🏻

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

Say more, Bruuuuu

Course too easy. Pros riding around on road bikes with bigger tyres. Don’t need massive climbs but surely 800m over that distance is not going to test these riders? 

2 hours ago, jcza said:

Course too easy. Pros riding around on road bikes with bigger tyres. Don’t need massive climbs but surely 800m over that distance is not going to test these riders? 

Would've been lekka to see sterrato, dust, white roads with the odd single track or bike lane section for selections to form. Some rain would also make it juicy. Both courses could've been a bit longer ja for the rainbow jersey. 

I think it's rad that top pros are doing the event. Isn't that the point? 

To have top pro bike racers taking on top pro bike racers for a rainbow jersey?

Or should we protect the IG gravel stars and uphold 'the spirit of gravel' and make it less competitive?

No one complains when Pidcock switches codes or when MvdP hops around. I would love to see all the top guys duking it out on whatever bikes they choose for the jersey. 

It would be awesome to see a guy like Nino there, Sam Gaze etc...

I DO agree with 'Dale though, it should be longer. Like 250km at least. I always thought longerer and longerer was the ultimate gravel 

Gravel '22 = MTB '90

If you compare mountain bike courses\routes of the early 90's to todays courses you can agree they are 'worlds' apart. Yes, I was disappointed when I saw the gravel worlds route but had to remind myself that this is only the beginning. Hopefully with more WT pro's also wanting to ride and the popularity increasing the UCI will take the races to different parts of the world with different difficulty. 

More climbing and more 'gravel' I reckon! But that's about it, it's not a mountain bike dammit 😜

I'm not so sure about the 'on any bike' sentiments otherwise what differentiates it from any other XCM race ... you don't see MTB's or road bikes and stuff at cyclo cross races, especially WC's or gravel bikes and road bikes at XCO/XCM WC's

Anyway don't mind me, I'm still in the Jurassic Park era of cycling clearly and I'm lying in a hospital bed miff with the whole world at this point

2 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

More climbing and more 'gravel' I reckon! But that's about it, it's not a mountain bike dammit 😜

I'm not so sure about the 'on any bike' sentiments otherwise what differentiates it from any other XCM race ... you don't see MTB's or road bikes and stuff at cyclo cross races, especially WC's or gravel bikes and road bikes at XCO/XCM WC's

Anyway don't mind me, I'm still in the Jurassic Park era of cycling clearly and I'm lying in a hospital bed miff with the whole world at this point

The 'on any bike' refers more to the road bike with thicker rubber vs gravel bike.

I also think the racers choose the bike that will best suit them, their ability and the course on the day. One wouldn't ride a MTB at world gravel champs as you'd get dropped. You also wouldn't ride a gravel bike around a WC xco or XCM course at race pace, so it's a non starter.

I guess I'm asking about the road bike vs 'true gravel' bike and why it matters?

I thought the racing was good, the coverage was really good and the breakaway won.... I honestly have no idea what there is to complain about

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I think it's rad that top pros are doing the event. Isn't that the point? 

To have top pro bike racers taking on top pro bike racers for a rainbow jersey?

Or should we protect the IG gravel stars and uphold 'the spirit of gravel' and make it less competitive?

No one complains when Pidcock switches codes or when MvdP hops around. I would love to see all the top guys duking it out on whatever bikes they choose for the jersey. 

It would be awesome to see a guy like Nino there, Sam Gaze etc...

I DO agree with 'Dale though, it should be longer. Like 250km at least. I always thought longerer and longerer was the ultimate gravel 

Agree on the distance, was thinking about Unbound at 200 miles. 

Summary of rules - no suspension, drop bars and tyres limited to 43. 

39 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The 'on any bike' refers more to the road bike with thicker rubber vs gravel bike.

I also think the racers choose the bike that will best suit them, their ability and the course on the day. One wouldn't ride a MTB at world gravel champs as you'd get dropped. You also wouldn't ride a gravel bike around a WC xco or XCM course at race pace, so it's a non starter.

I guess I'm asking about the road bike vs 'true gravel' bike and why it matters?

I thought the racing was good, the coverage was really good and the breakaway won.... I honestly have no idea what there is to complain about

Look to my mind gravel bikes, road bike with fat tires even a flippin 'monstercross' that's all fair game!

But like I said I'm just naar with the world at the moment so don't take anything I say too seriously 😜