• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

"I do 7-8 hour rides and I do not stop; I am not just doodling around..." 

- Keegan Swenson, 2022 Lifetime Grand Prix winner (also rolled the 2023 Cape Epic)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, babse said:

Mens race tomorrow and any idea why Matt isn't racing?

Staying in US for last few lifetime Grand Prix races, I assume

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

Staying in US for last few lifetime Grand Prix races, I assume

I read something like that on social media somewhere and then a comment about the course not really being 'worthy' of world champs but I'll reserve my comment on that.

Everyone races the same course .... maar nou ja

After the initial reactions, there’s benn good feedback on the course and racing in general. Consensus is apparent that it’s an improvement on last year’s inaugural World Champs. 

People do seem to forget that this is a new discipline, so not everything will be perfect. However. The none broadcast of the women’s race is just pure ineptitude, and we missed being able to follow what was clearly a good race. Ended up playing hopscotch on different Instagram account to get an idea for what was happening.

Some interesting tech info on the men’s winning bike- https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/tech/news/did-matej-mohoric-win-gravel-world-championships-on-an-unreleased-merida-bike?fbclid=IwAR1ED1kRggRAjOX1AM9yUo_6ZQTbJDk7-qUap87LvZGKSnhxVVoCJIPd9Iw_aem_AVOqmJ-Y6WancoNg90gTsWFHgHAd-uWVGMrLjswc7XYMvK-NK6MyNYthB9T-9VVImE0

That was a stunning course, hey. Really enjoyed the vineyard scenery and steep gradients.

What a ride by both Mohoric and Vermeersch, and the surprise performance from Connor Swift.

Oom Valverde showed his class too, finishing ahead of American star, Swenson.

The world of gravel is on the uptick. And the WorldTour roadies migrates quite successfully thus far.

Pic: Betsy Welch

spacer.png

There is no longer such a thing as a Mtb rider/road rider,gravel rider.

There are just riders.Everyone is doing everything.

The strongest riders come from the road,finish and klaar.

As more WT riders decide to give gravel a go it’s going to get harder and harder.

The American gravel riders seriously underestimate how tough the WT riders are.

As good a result Swenson got he still got pipped on the line by a 43 year old retired vet

• 3 months later...

Awesome news:

Matt Beers learned a lot of lessons racing the Life Time Grand Prix in 2023, so he naturally signed up for more of the same this year.

Only now he’ll have more support to back him.

Beers, the South African gravel national champion, has signed on with Specialized Off-Road, where he’ll join Sofia Gomez Villafañe and Howard Grotts to race a calendar of mixed MTB and gravel. (Russell Finsterwald is departing the team.)

The team will lend him support at races in both the US and South Africa, including the Life Time Grand Prix Series and the Cape Epic, where is a two-time champion.

Sauce: Velo

Pic: Alex Roszcko

spacer.png

2 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Awesome news:

Matt Beers learned a lot of lessons racing the Life Time Grand Prix in 2023, so he naturally signed up for more of the same this year.

Only now he’ll have more support to back him.

Beers, the South African gravel national champion, has signed on with Specialized Off-Road, where he’ll join Sofia Gomez Villafañe and Howard Grotts to race a calendar of mixed MTB and gravel. (Russell Finsterwald is departing the team.)

The team will lend him support at races in both the US and South Africa, including the Life Time Grand Prix Series and the Cape Epic, where is a two-time champion.

Sauce: Velo

Pic: Alex Roszcko

spacer.png

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Amazing, you actually need to be invited  to do the series… achievement all on its own! Looking forward to Matt “the machine” Beers kicking some Yankee ass! We all know his got the engine!

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 

This really is great news for Matt and long overdue for a man of his talents. I'm super glad he's finally getting the recognition and international support he so richly deserves.

Expecting great things from him this year based on how hard he's hitting his training. Follow him on Strava to see his training camp distances in the Cederberg in Dec... eye watering stuff

Here's about the only thing he and I had in common last year ☺️

MattBeers.jpg