Riding glasses

Chadvdw67

I would like to try get a pair of riding glasses, getting a little tired of stones and dust going in my eyes, my problem is, I have tried a handful of glasses, but the lenses never really seem to be big enough, so either I see bellow the bottom of the frames or over the top, which in turn messes around with my depth perception and makes me feel rather ill, can anyone recommend a pair that may help overcome this?

As a reference, a friend let me try his Oakley Flight Jackets, but those didnt work for me....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whatever glasses you get, make sure you take your helmet(s) with you to fit them on when you go try them.

they have to go together... i normally jump up and down with them both on to make sure they don't move which is an issue is struggle with...

Edited by Meezo
Spelling or wording

D'Arcs have pretty good ones, I rode with these for a while but unfortunately over time I came to the conclusion that the expensive ones are better (Oakley Sutro / 100% hypercraft). Today I only use these two pairs that fog a lot less and that you just forget about right after you put them on (the 100% have two different nose pieces, the bigger one is perfect to avoid fogging)

45 minutes ago, Meezo said:

whatever glass you get, make sure you take your helmet(s) with you to fit them when you try them on.

they have to go together... i do all jump up and down to make sure they don't move which is an issue is struggle with...

^^^ This. but also remember ^^^ THIS!!!!!

1 hour ago, Chadvdw67 said:

... but the lenses never really seem to be big enough ...

Oakley Jawbreaker or Sutro should solve the size issue.

A lessor known local brand you could also look at is 30South.

Edited by Thomo

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

D'Arcs have pretty good ones, I rode with these for a while but unfortunately over time I came to the conclusion that the expensive ones are better (Oakley Sutro / 100% hypercraft). Today I only use these two pairs that fog a lot less and that you just forget about right after you put them on (the 100% have two different nose pieces, the bigger one is perfect to avoid fogging)

D'Arcs have launched a new range which are pretty cool, the Aura (HD) lenses are great. I have glasses from Oakley, 100% and D'Arcs and they are all pretty much of the same quality.

I have contact lenses and I had serious issues in the dust and the rain. I purchased a pair of Wiley X Xl from takealot which has a "facial cavity seal". It does fog up on the hills and it looks like you are wearing goggles, but it has changed my riding experience! Glorious.

I can recommend the Oakley Jawbreakers and Sutro's...

If you need bigger than that, I'd recommend a 1979 VW Bettle's windshield 🙂

The Oakleys especially the Sutro's were designed for you NOT to see any of the frame, I was sceptical at first but after a few rides I can fully recommend them. I do feel a bit like a wanna be douche bag but then I notice alot of other wanna be douche bags so the feeling then subsides. 

14 minutes ago, Dadbod Racing said:

I can recommend the Oakley Jawbreakers and Sutro's...

If you need bigger than that, I'd recommend a 1979 VW Bettle's windshield 🙂

The Oakleys especially the Sutro's were designed for you NOT to see any of the frame, I was sceptical at first but after a few rides I can fully recommend them. I do feel a bit like a wanna be douche bag but then I notice alot of other wanna be douche bags so the feeling then subsides. 

Sutros are very good. I got a set, loved it and ended up with 3 (with different lenses).

The only thing which can be improved out of the box is the fact that they don't have earsocks so they don't grip if you're sticking them into front-facing eyewear slots in your helmet. This was solved easily with slipping Racing Jacket socks onto them.

what do you guys do to solve the sweat in eyes issue - if it is an issue. I never ride with glasses because I sweat too much and it runs into my eyes. Then you have to take the glasses off to wipe - it's a pain in the ass.

1 minute ago, MTBeer said:

what do you guys do to solve the sweat in eyes issue - if it is an issue. I never ride with glasses because I sweat too much and it runs into my eyes. Then you have to take the glasses off to wipe - it's a pain in the ass.

strip of chamois cream over the eyebrows and in between them.

But this has now presented another problem, the sweat dripping off the sides of the eyebrow sometimes then drips onto the inside of the lens meaning I still have to take them off and clean

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

strip of chamois cream over the eyebrows and in between them.

But this has now presented another problem, the sweat dripping off the sides of the eyebrow sometimes then drips onto the inside of the lens meaning I still have to take them off and clean

I guess if you're riding road it's not too difficult to take off and wipe. Can't really do it when trail riding.

Those of you that ride with prescription glasses, what do you use?

I use Oakley Crosslink as my casual glasses and they have to make do for riding.