Where to buy Spoke cutting tool in SA.

You're unlikely to find one here, you'll need to import.

Be aware, you're in for some proper cash. The Hozan is the cheapest one, and the last time I checked came in at around R 8k ex shipping.

For a workshop unit like the Phil Wood or Morizumi you're in for closer to R 100k.

40 minutes ago, droo said:

You're unlikely to find one here, you'll need to import.

Be aware, you're in for some proper cash. The Hozan is the cheapest one, and the last time I checked came in at around R 8k ex shipping.

For a workshop unit like the Phil Wood or Morizumi you're in for closer to R 100k.

Wow ! is that what the Phil wood cost now - I wanted to bring one in 7 years ago, can't remember the exact price i worked out but it wasnt near 100K - That be a lot of spokes to cut to get a return

Out of interest what do spokes generally sell for now ?

excuse my ignorance, but would it not be better to just buy the right size spoke ? or am I missing something ?

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

excuse my ignorance, but would it not be better to just buy the right size spoke ? or am I missing something ?

Inventory.

If you're selling lots of spokes it's much easier to buy blanks in 3 or 4 lengths than to carry a few thousand each of 40 different lengths.

2 minutes ago, droo said:

Inventory.

If you're selling lots of spokes it's much easier to buy blanks in 3 or 4 lengths than to carry a few thousand each of 40 different lengths.

The bane of every wheel builder. 

3 hours ago, droo said:

$6 300 for the PW now.

Decent DB spokes retail for about R 25 ea.

mmm maybe i should relook at this idea, I started setting up a wheel building station of which i have acquired all or most of the tools already sitting in their boxes under my workbench - My idea was to build it from a hobby business to a retirement business one day which is now fast approaching - cutting and selling spokes to LBS and other wheel builders might just make it a good add on. I would be okay if the machine could pay for itself in 2 - 2.5 years.

13 hours ago, madmarc said:

Wow ! is that what the Phil wood cost now - I wanted to bring one in 7 years ago, can't remember the exact price i worked out but it wasnt near 100K - That be a lot of spokes to cut to get a return

Out of interest what do spokes generally sell for now ?

It depends you get spokes from R15 each to the moon apparently. Heard about spokes that cost R1000 each not sure if that was exaggerated or not 👀 or just way out of my budget 😁

1 hour ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

It depends you get spokes from R15 each to the moon apparently. Heard about spokes that cost R1000 each not sure if that was exaggerated or not 👀 or just way out of my budget 😁

thet exist for weird proprietary wheels

Isn't the future carbon thread spokes?

I'd buy an aglet end crimp/whatever they use and start making carbon thread spoke wheels.

The 2% will be pitching pant tents everywhere!

I have a manual hand turned spoke thread tool in a box somewhere under the stairs. It's definitely not industrial but it did the job for a few hundred bicycle and moto wheels back in the day.

Its not only cutting the spokes but doing the threads as well, for that you need a decent tool. The threads are rolled in, not cut with a die, Something to do with strength,

Johan (who used to be active here years ago before he emigrated) had a very nice Japaneses unit in his workshop, he used to make up spokes for me on spec, Much cheaper / easier than trying to order/buy them.

So yeah, def, a market for small shops and DIY'ers needing spokes, who need occasionally

Johan had a Morizumi.  I bought a Japanese one (Kowa) about nine years ago and at the time it was around 2/3 the cost of a Phil Wood.  As a wheelbuilder it is very nice to have but an expensive toy (as is my P&K Lie truing stand).  I had to build 80 wheels to cover the cost.  It comes into its own if you repair wheels with odd spokes and cutting if you need urgently or if stocks are short. 

Supplying shops or retail is a service and there is no money in it.  By the time you have cut and rolled 20 spokes, packed them for shipping, delivered to Postnet or organised a courier, invoiced and tracked the payment you may as well not bother.  You would never be able to do it with a Hozan. To me that is a tool for one off spokes or a home wheelbuild.

Blanks are difficult to get and if you find them you usually have to order a full production run of 1000+ spokes.  There are also so many spoke types that you would end up with an enormous amount of stock.  I keep bladed straight pull blanks because they are almost impossible to get in the size that you need.  For the rest I keep plenty of the commonly used DB spokes and others in 4 to 6 mm jumps so that I can cut and thread if need be.

From a building point of view I would recommend a good tension meter before a spoke cutter.

26 minutes ago, David Marshall said:

Johan had a Morizumi.  I bought a Japanese one (Kowa) about nine years ago and at the time it was around 2/3 the cost of a Phil Wood.  As a wheelbuilder it is very nice to have but an expensive toy (as is my P&K Lie truing stand).  I had to build 80 wheels to cover the cost.  It comes into its own if you repair wheels with odd spokes and cutting if you need urgently or if stocks are short. 

Supplying shops or retail is a service and there is no money in it.  By the time you have cut and rolled 20 spokes, packed them for shipping, delivered to Postnet or organised a courier, invoiced and tracked the payment you may as well not bother.  You would never be able to do it with a Hozan. To me that is a tool for one off spokes or a home wheelbuild.

Blanks are difficult to get and if you find them you usually have to order a full production run of 1000+ spokes.  There are also so many spoke types that you would end up with an enormous amount of stock.  I keep bladed straight pull blanks because they are almost impossible to get in the size that you need.  For the rest I keep plenty of the commonly used DB spokes and others in 4 to 6 mm jumps so that I can cut and thread if need be.

From a building point of view I would recommend a good tension meter before a spoke cutter.

Those P&K truing stands are awesome pieces of engineering. I considered one  but then settled on a Park Tool Pro stand and got the dial gauges as well