Should e-bikes be allowed in Cycle Tour and other Races

Ravenhash

4 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Both those riders look decently fit.

yes they do.

I looked into the first guy because his time was faster than the rest of the group, he pretty much rode on his own the entire way. So no harm no foul. (except he did not declare he rode an ebike)

Second guy though appears to have pulled another rider on a non e bike through to 3rd fastest in the group. Thumbs up for him for holding the wheel, the photos show him putting in big efforts to keep up.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/14/2022 at 7:37 PM, Eddy Gordo said:

I know what you mean. I always look on in amazement when an ebike just cruises up a steep hill. But the exhilaration of conquering that hill under your own power cannot be beaten!!

I disagree.... I hate hills. Im all for the downs. So I get no exhilaration climbing up a hill... in fact, if there was lift access I'd take it. Climbing sucks, pure and simple ... unless I'm on my Bike ... then I love it

33 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Exhibit A

3h04 - cant say for sure, but looks like a battery I see there.

image.png.1c205bf30d5798a22e351164e24cb6fd.png

Exhibit B

3h09

A little more obvious looking

image.png.fb0f74375297c11b3682c9d998218541.png

I dont know my bikes that well, but both appear to have batteries to me.

You can always stalk their profiles on Strava... 

I saw 2 or 3 very fast ebikes - Specialized road bikes.  But they were each riding alone, nobody could keep up.

Looking at the YouTube video, the vast majority of ebikes were slower than those around them ... nursing that battery to get the range.

This couple captures the nice side of ebikes on FUN rides -

694185845_CTCT2022-62.jpg.498e61b5df2f0586f568f238297814e7.jpg

The gent has done a couple of CTCT events, and regularly do Ironman type events.  The ebike gave his wife the option to enjoy this experience with him.  

It would be a very sad day if a handful of cheaters spoils it for these riders.

Maybe 1 or 2 video cameras taking videos from the side .... would be much easier to identify and confirm if people were cheating.

1 hour ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

I disagree.... I hate hills. Im all for the downs. So I get no exhilaration climbing up a hill... in fact, if there was lift access I'd take it. Climbing sucks, pure and simple ... unless I'm on my Bike ... then I love it

You sound like me LOL

On 3/13/2022 at 4:05 PM, Nick said:

It looks that the provisional ebike results are simple. Less than 3:50 = disqualified and no result on the time sheet. As it stands, the category 'winner' rode a 3:50:25.

clearly these okes diced the whole way! marius must have protested that his garmin was slow.

image.png.d03e8e7a76ffe33c93796112e78885e4.png

Never mind the races, they shouldn't even be allowed on the roads. The durbanville hills and the slightest of Southerly winds conspired today and made me go into the red to catch Schrödinger ebiker. My poor roadie ego couldn't live with not knowing if the person pulling away from me on the hills was on a ebike. He then had the audacity to pass me going up St' Johns on the gravel going way faster than me. Well I had the last laugh going down Jip de Jager. Roadie 1: Ebiker 0

:P

41 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

Never mind the races, they shouldn't even be allowed on the roads. The durbanville hills and the slightest of Southerly winds conspired today and made me go into the red to catch Schrödinger ebiker. My poor roadie ego couldn't live with not knowing if the person pulling away from me on the hills was on a ebike. He then had the audacity to pass me going up St' Johns on the gravel going way faster than me. Well I had the last laugh going down Jip de Jager. Roadie 1: Ebiker 0

:P

24333295-c5ebf005c3b4b3974d4d793f5ee1e936.png?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAJSCJQ2NM3XLFPVKA%2F20220319%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20220319T090636Z&X-Amz-Expires=28800&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=0ac475b6980f8955284556c133a1f9f1a1ce6521d19618ef70a418b60f0964fc

There’s gonna come a time where they’ll be more ebikes the normal Bikes this year at the Cape August they were 16% with the growth rate,  the year before it was 12%. so this growth rate within five years you looking at 35 to 40% ebikes! I think Ebike should be given preference as a lot of people that will never be able to ride.  and enjoy the races. They not looking for party them finishes I just enjoying the rod and that’s what it’s about it’s about riding. 

I really feel sorry for those few riders who thinks the road belongs to them. They can’t seem to see the bigger picture. They can’t understand that it is not about their ego’s. It is to get as many people as possible on a bike and enjoy it no matter what bike it is. It is not what bike you ride it is only that you ride and the biggest thing about riding a bike is to enjoy it, that’s what matter the most.