Redux.. Am I being unreasonable here?

Skylark

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

So send them back then, I will refund you your money - telling me I lied is a stretch and telling me that its obvious the wheels are damaged when they are still in better condition than most 2021 wheel sets are also a joke. I do not understand what you're trying to achieve as you're clearly not getting your way by trying to lure me out with a thread about R200.

You need wheels, I sent you wheels you complained about the condition, I then tried to help by sending you pictures of the items I had, you then stated that this bolt was too big and that axle was massive and then said: come on you MUST have something in your spares. I was doing you a favor as I knew getting stock was going to be almost impossible. So now you still have no wheels for your commuter and you have alienated the only person who was in a position to help you out.  "Cutting off your nose to spite your face comes to mind" So send me your banking details so that I can refund you for the wheels which are still in perfect working condition. 

"So send me your banking details so that I can refund you for the wheels which are still in perfect working condition."

"they are still in better condition than most 2021 wheel sets"

Eeish, still doubling down on this logic, anyone that buys from Robert better be mighty careful if they see the item looks like it's in good cosmetic condition 🤨🙄

Sending me pics of random sht that clearly won't fit is not helping me and I went out of my way to send pics with vernier measurements so that it would make it easier for you to identify what would work.

But yeah what a waste of my time, I get the feeling you just enjoyed holding the power over me when you realised I couldn't get the parts anywhere else.

I have sent you my bank details.

Edited by Skylark

what a waste of eye juice. 

about year ago I bought a 2016 model car with 40k km on it for the wife for R250k. It was spotless as you would expect from its low milage. It was literally owned by an old lady in a retirement village and she kicked the bucket. 6 months in....the A/C stopped working - aparently a common issue on these cars (mazda cx-3) i learned. if she drove it another 10k km up to 2019 it would have been covered by their unlimited 3y warranty or even the fricken factory recall...but it wasnt. it was a R25k fix. 10% of the cars value. Who do I blame?

Myself. 

I wrote that up to my dambass not doing my homework on the car's known issues - even though it only had 40k km on it.

you aid R600 for a set of '20y old wheels'

I dont care what Robert said about their condition. You knew there was a chance there might be hidden issues he might not have known or cared about without spending the time to open them.

I would have literally thrown them in the bin. I spend more on wine in a week.... 

4 minutes ago, MORNE said:

about year ago I bought a 2016 model car with 40k km on it for the wife for R250k. It was spotless as you would expect from its low milage. It was literally owned by an old lady in a retirement village and she kicked the bucket. 6 months in....the A/C stopped working - aparently a common issue on these cars (mazda cx-3) i learned. if she drove it another 10k km up to 2019 it would have been covered by their unlimited 3y warranty or even the fricken factory recall...but it wasnt. it was a R25k fix. 10% of the cars value. Who do I blame?

Myself. 

I wrote that up to my dambass not doing my homework on the car's known issues - even though it only had 40k km on it.

I dont care what Robert said about their condition. You knew there was a chance there might be hidden issues he might not have known or cared about without spending the time to open them.

I would have literally thrown them in the bin. I spend more on wine in a week.... 

It's a fair point about the value but sometimes you just have to stand up for your principles and this dude's fk you attitude wasn't cool. The issue wasn't hidden and he knew about it, he never once disputed what I said about the condition or showed any surprise when I brought it up, never apologised either. And I wasn't a dick about it when I brought it up, I just asked if he had any spare cones.

I'm not sure how your story relates to mine seeing no one misrepresented anything to you but I'm sure you enjoyed recounting it, which is ironic seeing you are calling me out for making this thread which is really just me wanting to get the experience off my chest.

Buyer beware. This reminds me of the RS Recon fork I bought years ago, met the guy in a Spar parking lot, paid R800 cash and went on my merry way. But then I serviced it when I got home. Probably the first time ever that it was serviced, as the stanchions was pretty worn. I put it down to school fees, removed the travel spacer to extend it to 120mm, and rode them on my SS for a couple of years. 

Find cones from a lbs and move on.

Shake the dust off your feet and close the door behind you. 

Edited by PhilipV
Made it a bit less incoherent. And I'm retracting my statement about the seller after his reply.

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Myself. 

I once bought a BMW with 40k on the clock…. R110k in repairs within 11 months of ownership. 

I could only blame myself for taking the risk on brand that isn’t known for the best reliability. 

1 minute ago, PhilipV said:

Buyer beware. This reminds me of the RS Recon fork I bought years ago, met the guy in a Spar parking lot, paid R800 cash and went on my merry way. But then I serviced it when I got home. Probably the first time ever that it was serviced, as the stanchions was pretty worn. I put it down to school fees, removed the travel spacer to extend it to 120mm, and rode them on my SS for a couple of years. 

Skylark, move on. Every one can now clearly see what it is like if you buy from Robert Whitehead. Find new cones from a bike shop near you.

Shake the dust off your feet and clBuyer beware. This reminds me of the RS Recon fork I bought years ago, met the guy in a Spar parking lot, paid R800 cash and went on my merry way. But then I serviced it when I got home. Probably the first time ever that it was serviced, as the stanchions was pretty worn. I put it down to school fees, removed the travel spacer to extend it to 120mm, and rode them on my SS for a couple of years. 

We can now clearly see what it is like if you buy from Robert Whitehead. Find new cones from a bike shop near you.

Advice so good you repeated it for dramatic effect 😂😂

12 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Skylark, move on. Every one can now clearly see what it is like if you buy from Robert Whitehead. Find new cones from a bike shop near you.

Shake the dust off your feet and clBuyer beware. This reminds me of the RS Recon fork I bought years ago, met the guy in a Spar parking lot, paid R800 cash and went on my merry way. But then I serviced it when I got home. Probably the first time ever that it was serviced, as the stanchions was pretty worn. I put it down to school fees, removed the travel spacer to extend it to 120mm, and rode them on my SS for a couple of years. 

We can now clearly see what it is like if you buy from Robert Whitehead. Find new cones from a bike shop near you.

Unfortunately the problem is you can't buy the cones for these hubs in SA even if you want to because Cool Heat doesn't bring them in. Apparently even on relatively recent Shimano hubs you virtually have to buy a whole new hub if you need to rebuild it.

He says he'll refund me and he'll take his wheelset back, I have sent my bank details so lets see what happens.

Edited by Skylark

Did a strip down and rebuild of a bike last year.

Bearings felt perfect for cup and cone.  But only when I opened it did I see that the one cone was pitted.

Fully understand how Robert could have thought the wheels were good.

As for getting new cone ... I STRUGGLED to find a new cone !!  

Bike Hub Pay would have provided a refund .... Robert repeatedly offered a refund ....

Dud deal ... cr@p happens .... refund was offered .... move on ...

11 minutes ago, Skylark said:

Unfortunately the problem is you can't buy the cones for these hubs in SA even if you want to because Cool Heat doesn't bring them in. Apparently even on relatively recent Shimano hubs you virtually have to buy a whole new hub if you need to rebuild it.

He says he'll refund me and he'll take his wheelset back, I have sent my bank details so lets see what happens.

Www.sjscycles.co.uk

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Did a strip down and rebuild of a bike last year.

Bearings felt perfect for cup and cone.  But only when I opened it did I see that the one cone was pitted.

Fully understand how Robert could have thought the wheels were good.

As for getting new cone ... I STRUGGLED to find a new cone !!  

Bike Hub Pay would have provided a refund .... Robert repeatedly offered a refund ....

Dud deal ... cr@p happens .... refund was offered .... move on ...

Bru read the whole thread, you could feel the crunch in these hubs when you spun them, it wasn't mild and Robert is no noob in this game. I'm fine with a refund, I mentioned that a few posts back.

What model was your Shimano hubs and where did you eventually find a cone?

5 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Www.sjscycles.co.uk

I looked at that and at around R1200 incl delivery for 3 x hub cones and who knows what other surprises these wheels may hold I gave it a miss.

11 minutes ago, Skylark said:

Bru read the whole thread, you could feel the crunch in these hubs when you spun them, it wasn't mild and Robert is no noob in this game. I'm fine with a refund, I mentioned that a few posts back.

What model was your Shimano hubs and where did you eventually find a cone?

Not sure of the model.

Mark (LBS) found a cheaper equivalent in his box of spares ... we know it wont have the life span of a Shimano ... hoping spares supplies reset before then.