Cape Town wants to ban cyclists from promenade

Mamil

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

Fook, cyclist have been complaining for years regarding the cycle lane infrastructure being dangerous and poorly policed with cars parking in the lanes, etc and they (CCT) simply do nothing 

I think the City of Cape Town is trying to create this little "storm on the prominade" as a distraction from MUCH bigger issues in the area. Much better to have the Sea Point residents and ratepayers distracted and foaming from the mouth about those pesky little cyclists in lycra and flannel, than to actually LOOK and DO SOMETHING about the near raw sewerage that they are pumping into the ocean, or the explosion of street people, the totally unsanitary mess that causes, not to talk about the security problems and a rat plague. The City can do a LOT better spending their energy on REAL issues that can improve things for their ratepayers and residents, even the homeless!! Damn, I AM grumpy today! Guilty as charged!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, DJR said:

I think the City of Cape Town is trying to create this little "storm on the prominade" as a distraction from MUCH bigger issues in the area. Much better to have the Sea Point residents and ratepayers distracted and foaming from the mouth about those pesky little cyclists in lycra and flannel, than to actually LOOK and DO SOMETHING about the near raw sewerage that they are pumping into the ocean, or the explosion of street people, the totally unsanitary mess that causes, not to talk about the security problems and a rat plague. The City can do a LOT better spending their energy on REAL issues that can improve things for their ratepayers and residents, even the homeless!! Damn, I AM grumpy today! Guilty as charged!

I don't think you're grumpy or at least if you are it's not a bad thing cos you speak the truth. And let's face it there's enough nonsense about to put the most optimistic and even tempered of us in a bad mood.

5 hours ago, MTBeer said:

was going to say the same thing. It's more of a scooter issue than a bicycle issue.

Just a general overuse issue actually. You have paragliders dropping from the sky onto the grass, skateboarders, roller skaters, joggers, runners, single speed cyclists (see what I did there), kiddies on bikes, yummy mummies on bikes , walkers , wheelchairs Zimmer frames even B.C ( think comic) and jack nicolson asking “why can’t we all just …. Get along…??”

Edited by DieselnDust

1 hour ago, Eldron said:

This thread sounds a lot like the Spruit thread. Theoretically if everyone acts decently then there shouldn't be any problems....

yes, well, that goes for anything really. but have you actually met a human? that soft squishy bit between our ears lets us all down all too often

1 hour ago, Eldron said:

This thread sounds a lot like the Spruit thread. Theoretically if everyone acts decently then there shouldn't be any problems....

Too true.

From my perspective I've noticed a huge amount of old surfers dusting off boards and squeezing back into wetsuits as people have gone back outdoors due to a new found appreciation of our freedoms. Unfortunately some okes have not taken kindly to the influx of interlopers and surf spots seem more territorial than I've ever known them to be.

Same principal with places like the promenade. People claiming ownership of something that isn't theirs and keeping newcomers at bay. #irony

18 hours ago, dave303e said:

With that distinct self centered logic - can we change the cycle lanes to walk lanes, rubbish dumps or roads so the cyclists can stop complaining about cars, trash and pedestrians there? 

You mean name the cycle lanes as exactly how they have been used and treated .... sounds accurate to me.

18 hours ago, dave303e said:

Take the spruit- a running/walking lane and 2 single directional mtb lanes between delta and the gym area. All the beginner cyclists in the running lane because the cyclists in the mtb lanes are too fast. Meanwhile they are double the speed of the runners and triple the walkers. Or you are forced into the grass by a dad riding next to his kid in the running lane because he is scared someone is going to come up behind them shouting track or strava.

This is apart from the fact no one can read a sign. I told a mtb rider that is is in the running lane. So he stops shouts at me swears and asks where it states that. He felt like a fool when I pointed out the sign10m away from him. His excuse- he has ridden there for years since when is it that way. The signs had been up months by that stage. The runners are as bad in the mtb lanes.

I do not know what the Spruit it like, but I do personally know the Promenade.

All I can say it the world would be a better place if people were not chops and respected others.....your examples above are of first class chops. These same chops get into cars (And I am sure drive like chops then too).

15 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Too true.

From my perspective I've noticed a huge amount of old surfers dusting off boards and squeezing back into wetsuits as people have gone back outdoors due to a new found appreciation of our freedoms. Unfortunately some okes have not taken kindly to the influx of interlopers and surf spots seem more territorial than I've ever known them to be.

Same principal with places like the promenade. People claiming ownership of something that isn't theirs and keeping newcomers at bay. #irony

Good observation and I suspect very very true 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 3:56 PM, Duane_Bosch said:

Too true.

Whoosh. Straight over

1 minute ago, 100Tours said:

City aims to ban vehicles from pavement? 😗

Like I said, I'm grumpy today because I have a sore arm, so I basically told them to please stop the vagrants from defecating on the sidewalk first, then we can talk about not riding a bike or a skateboard there!

On 3/16/2022 at 1:19 PM, DJR said:

Not sure why you mention all those other things - they are false equivalents and have nothing to do with the subject of cycling on the promenade.  Not really sure what your point was.

As a cyclist, I feel there is no need to ride on the promenade as it is just too narrow with too many highly variable and unpredictable obstacles - kids, dogs, grannies on zimmers, families walking 5 abreast etc etc.  Riders on the promenade also  often have little  regard for other users in terms of line and speed and I have personally witnessed numerous near misses and unpleasant encounters.   I support the ban and moving riders to the other lane - makes complete sense once we get over our sense of entitlement.