Reselling on bikehub? Is this normal

BMorrison

19 minutes ago, YaseenEnos said:

What i do find unethical is if a buyer (who has the intent to resell) deliberately schemes to get the price as low as possible, taking advantage of the sellers "situation" or  a sellers lack of knowledge on a product.

This!

Gouging for profit is dodgy AF.

Most people I know will drop a bit off the price if the buyer plays the sympathy card...but if that sympathy is a ploy for profit then the buyer/reseller deserves a lifetime's worth of crotchfleas.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Eldron said:

This!

Gouging for profit is dodgy AF.

Most people I know will drop a bit off the price if the buyer plays the sympathy card...but if that sympathy is a ploy for profit then the buyer/reseller deserves a lifetime's worth of crotchfleas.

This!

Many years ago I sold a brand new NINER Sir9 frame to a then prominent hubber. We agreed on the price, shipping etc then he comes back with 'My brother got ill and I have to pay his bills, can I pay a grand less' then something about his car breaking down so I paid a bit towards shipping remotely...... Slap in the face was him commenting on a bikehub thread how he had just ripped some guy off for a brand new frame he had always wanted by playing the sympathy card.

That guy was a snake if there ever was one. 

1 hour ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

When it really irks is where the people who profit from these deals do not even contribute. Merely on the platform to bargain hunt. No community participation AT ALL.

Well remember the Hub is not longer primarily a forum, it is a sales platform. So why should they participate in the community. This has been a longstanding gripe of the old guard, but we have accepted this. So it is what it is.

You should look at is a "Facebook Market Place" for bike riders with a bit of chit chat on the side. Well not actually there is just so much moderation going on......

Willing buyer/willing seller..  but if you agreed a price and sold at that price, then whatever the buyer does with it after that is completely up to him or her. That is a good working definition of ownership I think.

Personally it is quite difficult to buy and sell bikes for a profit. Bikes often have hidden defects that need to be fixed, and (almost) every sale gets talked down in price. Definitely you can't profitably buy and sell without some haggling - and after all that maybe you're a few hundred Rands better off.

Rather celebrate that you made the sale, received payment, and that you were happy with the agreed price in that moment. If you are selling you are asking the buyer to trust you on so many little things - you're never going to be the 'victim'.

Nothing wrong with in a market place. 

Some sellers drop the price to make the sale quickly. Some buyers are trading in and out to make some moola and 'entrepeneur' their way to some income. Free market, baby.

Word of caution: Educate yourself or ask a knowledgeable bra about the value of bikes and parts en goeters so you are not exploited or misled.

48 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

This!

Many years ago I sold a brand new NINER Sir9 frame to a then prominent hubber. We agreed on the price, shipping etc then he comes back with 'My brother got ill and I have to pay his bills, can I pay a grand less' then something about his car breaking down so I paid a bit towards shipping remotely...... Slap in the face was him commenting on a bikehub thread how he had just ripped some guy off for a brand new frame he had always wanted by playing the sympathy card.

I'm sure every hubseller has a story...

Mine was a guy pleading poverty so I dropped the price to a ridiculous level(they were cheapie Shimano wheels)  then he pleaded transport poverty so I offered to deliver. When I got there he had 20% below the ridiculous price we had already agreed and said "take it or leave it".

5 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Mine was a guy pleading poverty so I dropped the price to a ridiculous level(they were cheapie Shimano wheels)  then he pleaded transport poverty so I offered to deliver. When I got there he had 20% below the ridiculous price we had already agreed and said "take it or leave it".

classic. Some people are so rubbish

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

This!

WTF ... what an absolute ^Y$^$ CHOP

53 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Mine was that his wife wanted to start cycling, I dropped the price quite a bit thinking I was helping someone out .... only to find the bike for sale a few days later for 3000 more than I originally wanted!

It was already a damn good deal for a very very well specced 26" bike 🤬

10 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Buying and reselling makes you a dealer and dealers should pay to list their goods. 

So many flying under the radar. One in particular that has hundreds of ads but still not listed as a dealer. 

Thats a real problem to me. 

Name and shame that low flyer 

10 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Buying and reselling makes you a dealer and dealers should pay to list their goods. 

So many flying under the radar. One in particular that has hundreds of ads but still not listed as a dealer. 

Thats a real problem to me. 

I agree with this. On other forums resellers  or dealers need to pay for a subscription. 

5 minutes ago, BMorrison said:

I agree with this. On other forums resellers  or dealers need to pay for a subscription. 

Dealers do pay on Bikehub

I guess without reporting the ads to admin it's difficult to manage for a small team.

Like everything, it involves some honesty from the users

Easy way of managing “dealers”

Member for one month: not allowed to place any ad

Member for one month to 5 years: allowed to have 5 running ads at the same time

Member for 5 years plus: allowed to have 10 running ads at the same time

Pay to become a dealer with certain levels :

Level one : 50 running ads at the same time @R X

Level two : 75 running ads at the same time @R XX

Bikehub should pay me for these brain waives…lol 🧐