Going From Sram Level To Shimano Brakes

love2fly

In my humble experience, I'm running XT M8000 levers with the newish MT520 calipers, great modulation, especially if you get the XT M8120 pads, then they work a bit better.
I'm around 105kg fully kitted, and the modulation is really great!

Currently on a 180/180mm disc setup and there's no excuses for not stopping on any gradient...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had Deore brakes (mt-500?) On my hardtail last year. Didn't have any problems. We do 90% xc so, but on the odd trail it was more the tires that were not gripping on the downhills than the brakes...

My wife's bike has Sram Level TL. I have always hated them.. coming from shimano I have no idea when they will start to brake when I pull the lever. It's like nothing, nothing....BRAKE! So yes they work fine, but to me the feel can't even be compared to Shimano. My riding buddies has the same opinion. My wife doesnt mind as she is very light and she is used to them.

All that being said my dual sus came out with Shimano slx 4-pot brakes. I love them so far, havent needed all the stopping power as Ive only done xc so far with them but they sure are very nice. If you are not that heavy or are more into xc, you can even go for the SLX 2-pot brakes. They will be light years better than Levels! I think think Cycle Lab/CWC had them on special recently if I'm not mistaken.

I cannot comment on higher end Sram brakes, have never used them.

Having ridden both SRAM (level, code and guide) and shimano (xt, deore, slx and the cheapies) extensively, I can say that I honestly much prefer SRAM. If bled right, they can feel very similar to a shimano, just with a bit more modulation, however, I definitely felt that my SRAM levels started experiencing brake fade pretty fast (and I am a super light guy) whereas the shimanos seemed to do a little better. In my opinion, shimano for xc brakes, SRAM for enduro/downhill and Formula for everything 😜. At the end of the day, brakes are pretty much just personal preference, so what one guy likes, another may not.

I hope this helped, and happy riding.

Thanks to everybody who responded. I think I'll look out for a reasonably priced set of Shimanos and will give them a try. I'll keep my Sram s in case I'm not happy but get the sense I won't need to...

Buy Sram buy twice.

I ride XCM and after endless issues with Level TL's I changed to Formula Cura and never looked back, going on almost 3yrs now. 

Bought a bike for my son almost a year ago which came with Level T's and been having issues ever since. I'll now be changing his brakes to Formula or Shimano XT shortly.

But must admit I haven't owned Sram Ultimate so can't comment on the top-end stuff.

Edited by DNC
Additional info

2 hours ago, DNC said:

Buy Sram buy twice.

I ride XCM and after endless issues with Level TL's I changed to Formula Cura and never looked back, going on almost 3yrs now. 

Bought a bike for my son almost a year ago which came with Level T's and been having issues ever since. I'll now be changing his brakes to Formula or Shimano XT shortly.

But must admit I haven't owned Sram Ultimate so can't comment on the top-end stuff.

What type of issues have you experienced with the Level T?

My son has older Shimano brakes on his bike and they are very powerful but there is no modulation to speak of. They are either on or off.

I forgot to mention that I have 180mm rotors front and back and don't have the standard Level T caliper on the front as mine comes from a Levo so has same caliper as the Guide I believe.

My two cents get Deore or SLX.

I'm running the m6100 (deore) levers with m8000 calipers and the new levers feel beter than the previous gen. 

Only difference in levers between deore and slx is the reach adjust knob. I don't care about that and wasn't willing to spend double the price for just that. 

XT you are just paying for the name there's no difference between SLX and XT, not in weight or power. 

9 hours ago, Rolf Hansen said:

My son has older Shimano brakes on his bike and they are very powerful but there is no modulation to speak of. They are either on or off.

I forgot to mention that I have 180mm rotors front and back and don't have the standard Level T caliper on the front as mine comes from a Levo so has same caliper as the Guide I believe.

Now those are the Shimano I remember. I like to only have to use one finger. Also ax I weigh 100kg I probably don't experience the on/off as bad. I run 180mm rotors front and back 

On 5/14/2022 at 9:38 PM, Rolf Hansen said:

Constant modulation issues for Level T, and unreliable on fast singletrack after a long ride on a very hot day. 

1 hour ago, Quagga said:

Shimano brakes are like light switches, ON or OFF nothing in between

Nope, don't agree at al !!!

2 minutes ago, Quagga said:

We dont have to agree, it is my opinion

Sh1tmano, is for fishing and SRAM for riding

And that is your opinion  .... 🙈😁😂

15 minutes ago, TheoG said:

And that is your opinion  .... 🙈😁😂

Yes based on many many hours on SRAM and Shimano brakes since 2005 on 5 different bike riding stuff from road to Epic

4 minutes ago, Quagga said:

Yes based on many many hours on SRAM and Shimano brakes since 2005 on 5 different bike riding stuff from road to Epic

OK then.

I'm very happy with my 8-9 year old Shitmano XT's, thank you.