How much do cycling buddies cost?

patches

On 5/24/2022 at 10:54 AM, Pure Savage said:

Just make him pay for the beers after the ride and it will be all worth it.

How many beers to quench your thirst.?

Your buddy may start looking for other more affordable buddies. 🙈

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/24/2022 at 11:19 AM, patches said:

Hahaha, well the bike carriers are just one example, but how many of us keep a spare bike, or bit of kit etc for riding buddies.

Not saying it’s a bad thing. Heck for years I had 2 spare enduro bikes (1 MTB, 1 dirt bike) for that “just in case” ride with a buddy.

Riding is a social activity, so often the cost of it will extend beyond ourselves.

I have more than one bike, sometimes I even have friends ride them. I've never imagined that I'm spending that money on anyone else - if someone wants to come for a ride I assume that they're investing time in me (no one has ever asked me to pay for their time. I'd probably say no to that 😁🤯).

Having a laugh - Do you have more chairs at home than the family can all sit in? or teaspoons? Are they worth it?

On 5/24/2022 at 10:08 AM, dave303e said:

The other thought- and totally down a rabbit hole. Can you still load a Volvo with a bunch of thule racks etc and add it to the finance when you purchase? or was that a myth?

Yes you can. People usually dont because they dont want to pay for the rack for five years with residual but I think it really depends on the person...

23 hours ago, patches said:

Haha, I like how this went from do I buy a 2nd bike carrier to buying a ute/van 😅

My wife is fully aware of my intentions to buy a van or ute at some stage. I even tried to jokingly suggest a nice double cab over the XC40. She just laughed.

As for my Husky, it's road registered so I can braap to the trails, but that can get tiring.

If/when mini-humans come along we'll probably need a second car, so maybe I'll get my ute/van then.

I have solved the problem: 

Is this far from you? Lol. 

2017 Volkswagen Amarok Utility for sale in Dunedin, Otago | AutoTrader NZ

16 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

I was looking at them recently, fully specced they’re closer to R900k…

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for-sale/volvo/xc40/t5/26458960?vf=2&db=1&s360=0&so=1&pl=1&po=1

Yeah, prices in NZ are rocketing too. My wife didn't plan on departing with her hard earned savings so soon, but the XC40's seem to go up nearly $1000pm here, so she bit the bullet and shelled out the clams.

Also an eye opener on the NZ to SA price difference. About 3yrs ago I remember vehicles (particularly European luxuries) in SA being significantly cheaper than here in NZ (when converting ZAR to NZD of course), but now it seems it's the opposite.

That car (same spec) here would be $82,000 or R836,000 (equiv)

The one my wife bought is the same, minus the panoramic roof and Harman Kardon.

Also random, but Volvo NZ specs the "climate pack" on all their pre-ordered cars (definitely don't need heater steering wheel and headlight washers).

Edited by patches

9 hours ago, patches said:

Far from me physically (about 1500km and a 3hr ferry ride)

Further from me financially 😅

🤣🤣🤣 

Don’t worry, far away financially for us all. But it does seem a bit more expensive than here, have a similar model with less Km? Or are vans more expensive there. 

9 hours ago, patches said:

Yeah, prices in HZ are rocketing too. My wife didn't plan on departing with her hard earned savings so soon, but the XC40's seem to go up nearly $1000pm here, so she bit the pulled and shelled out the clams.

Also an eye opener on the NZ to SA price difference. About 3yrs ago I remember vehicles (particularly European luxuries) in SA being significantly cheaper than here in NZ (when converting ZAR to NZD of course), but now it seems it's the opposite.

That car (same spec) here would be $82,000 or R836,000 (equiv)

The one my wife bought is the same, minus the panoramic roof and Harman Kardon.

Also random, but Volvo NZ specs the "climate pack" on all their pre-ordered cars (definitely don't need heater steering wheel and headlight washers).

Ah, I get it now. 

4 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

🤣🤣🤣 

Don’t worry, far away financially for us all. But it does seem a bit more expensive than here, have a similar model with less Km? Or are vans more expensive there. 

Utes/Bakkies and vans both hold value well. Likely because tradespeople use them, and tradies can be seriously cashed up. (There's a saying "tradies get the ladies", haha)

In SA Quantum's and Hiaces are synonymous with taxis. Here it's the tradies.

25 minutes ago, patches said:

Utes/Bakkies and vans both hold value well. Likely because tradespeople use them, and tradies can be seriously cashed up. (There's a saying "tradies get the ladies", haha)

When I lived in Auckland we bought a cheap station wagon. It was ugly as sin but work had it overhauled and it was reliable.

That thing got me to Helensville/Woodhill, Rotovegus and all over on the weekends with a muddy bike and a muddy me.

During the week it transported work stuff.

I remember it worked out WAY cheaper than a van or ute and insurance was cheaper too. I threw some canvas covers on the seats and in the back and it was magic.

It wasn't going to get me any ladies, but to be fair neither were my looks or my severe lack of 'game', so it suited me.

37 minutes ago, patches said:

You can to a fair extent tell a vehicles usefulness/practicality/reliability by how it holds it's value. When you see a 20 year old tractor for over R1mill you start to realise the extent of it. 

That being said I nearly fell of my chair when I spotted a 20 year old Nautique ski boat for 600k the other day. I swear they are appreciating in value at the moment

11 hours ago, DJR said:

A good riding buddy is priceless 👍

I feel like that needs to be on a motivational poster 

image.png.934218dc2e06bbbe21018973c0ed3308.png

Jokes aside, it is 100% true though. As mentioned in my initial post, the whole reason behind the second rack is because the chats we have driving to the trails are just as good as the riding itself, and that is priceless.

Unfortunately though priceless experiences are not synonymous with bottomless funds, and when I only get out to ride about 6x a year (my own fault, due to an over commitment of extramural activities), so the cost/trip for that extra rack is pretty steep.

• 3 weeks later...

So I cheaped out and just got roof rack and 1 bike carrier. Winter is upon us and Auckland gets rainy and muddy over the next few months so rides will be few and far between. I'll get a 2nd one when spring rolls around.

I did manage to get a good deal on the bike carrier. Similar to the suggestions here (about getting Volvo branded Thule accessories at below Thule prices), I got a VW branded black Thule Proride 598 for about R700 less than a non-branded one.

I would have gone for a Volvo branded one, but Volvo only does the silver version. I'll use a kokie to colour in the VW branding 😅

Edited by patches