Titan Racing Pro vs Scott Spark 940

Darryl Pentz

Maybe It's Just me but these bikes look dated to me for 2022 Models.

My Old Merida 120 Looks more modern.

Merida_One-Twenty-600_blue-navy-side_2016.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

Maybe It's Just me but these bikes look dated to me for 2022 Models.

My Old Merida 120 Looks more modern.

Merida_One-Twenty-600_blue-navy-side_2016.jpg

I beg to differ but that's probably also just me... that Merida is starting to show its age me thinks 😜

10 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Just you. And really just coming over as sour. Just suck it up and congratulate the guy. Ffs.

How to tell everyone you ride a Merida 120 without telling everyone you ride a Merida 120 🤣

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

How to tell everyone you ride a Merida 120 without telling everyone you ride a Merida 120 🤣

And ironically, a bloody good bike that is really underrated, especially here in SA. 
I demo'd the 6000 model for a while, one of the most balanced bikes over jumps that I've experienced. Loved hitting jumps on it and doing all day rides, absolute fun machine. Business partner at the time got the top model (9000 or something) and did his first Munga on it, zero problems.

15 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

And ironically, a bloody good bike that is really underrated, especially here in SA. 
I demo'd the 6000 model for a while, one of the most balanced bikes over jumps that I've experienced. Loved hitting jumps on it and doing all day rides, absolute fun machine. Business partner at the time got the top model (9000 or something) and did his first Munga on it, zero problems.

The XC range is also a very attractive and well specced bike but you know mos

saffas are speffilised

17 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

saffas are speffilised

Love their hardtails, some of the most pleasing aesthetics around. The new 99 models are beaut as well. If I were to ever own a road bike *cough ... A Scultura would certainly make the list. 

Ah the big S. For sure, and for understandable reason. S stuff just works and they do accessories/gear well. Some of my hardest riding kilos have been with their kit.
Saffas are pretty much spoilt for choice though. Personally I'm currently keeping my budget tighter than a budgies nought. 

On 7/9/2022 at 7:50 PM, Darryl Pentz said:

Just to report back on this thread. Given stock shortages across all brands, I eventually got the Titan Racing Cypher Carbon Pro. It's a great bike, and while there was an issue with the rear shock, TR sorted it out for me with a very nice upgrade replacement, and I'm very pleased with the bike given the price and the spec of components. I did get Bike Addict to upgrade the brakes from SRAM TL to SRAM TLM.

7FAD81E4-1F71-4519-A596-00C47A9EDD9A.jpeg

C631702E-EE5D-4E2A-9904-466AE0FC1FCF.jpeg

4ACE24CD-B86E-417E-B6B4-430901B3A882.jpeg

C4CFB191-5362-40B8-B0AD-2E074D6BCB19.jpeg

32682018-86BC-458A-864E-FCFA40F31658.jpeg

EB16E9BC-31AE-4228-827D-CA13C5FBB583.jpeg

Must say, I can't walk past mine and not think to myself - man that is a good looking bike.

Edited by dave303e

On 6/2/2022 at 8:53 PM, BaGearA said:

just keep in mind the headset on the new spark is anal nightmare hell hole piece of k#k Scott thought of 

fine if you make it your mechanics problem but not so fine if you're stage racing in the middle of nowhere

I've also heard there seems to be a frame bolt on the new spark that likes breaking but can't confirm this , I've not seen it with my own eyes. only heard it from two separate people far removed from each other 

IMG_20220602_205109.jpg

I'm a mechanic/salesman at a Scott dealer and i have worked on a few of the new Scott headsets, the first few were a pain in the butt to work on but once you have done a handful of them it's pretty straight forward. With regards to the bolt, there were 1 or 2 cases of the bolt braking but Scott immediately picked it up and sent replacement bolts to the affected bikes and sorted the problem on the latest shipments.  

Have you weighed the 2 bikes as a comparison? I realize you're not a feather weight but I chose the Orbea Oiz over the new Spark because it came in 2kg's lighter. That new Scott is a porker with that integrated shock.

40 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Have you weighed the 2 bikes as a comparison? I realize you're not a feather weight but I chose the Orbea Oiz over the new Spark because it came in 2kg's lighter. That new Scott is a porker with that integrated shock.

And you need to spend a fortune to get it lighter. 
man’s the weight isn’t so much the integrated shock but also the heavier forks fitted to the mid to lower tier bikes, and heavy wheels.

14 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

saffas are speffilised

Aren't Merida and Titan out of the same brand stable these days?

12 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Aren't Merida and Titan out of the same brand stable these days?

Same brand stable?

msybe the same factory.

not aware of any equity in Titan owned by Merida 

25 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Same brand stable?

msybe the same factory.

not aware of any equity in Titan owned by Merida 

Pretty sure TITAN as a bike brand was started by the Importing agents of Merida. 

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Pretty sure TITAN as a bike brand was started by the Importing agents of Merida. 

That may well be the case but then it would a product from the same distributor. 
or Zini could claim to be from the same brand stable as Cannondale when they are unrelated outside of South Africa