1982/3 BMX Raleigh Burner value ?

DeonvdC

35 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

I have exact the same Burner but only in Red.

After 10 years of marriage, I was eventually granted access to enter my father in law's hoarder garage ...🤪

Discovered this Burner BMX that my wife use for commuting to school (80's)

I restored it for myself, and use to go to the BMX park with my son when he was still in his BMX stage. The kids thought this ou oom was very cool 

My son outgrown his BMX era now. He saw from me how cool it was to ride a vintage BMX - so his new Mongoose is in storage for the next generation... 

I also thought of selling my Burner after our BMX rides ended, but the reality is, there is not really a market for this. These Burners were also entry level bikes back in the day.

I currently look at the option to place it in my mancave  -but still looking for a real live ET doll  / blanket and basket to put on front..

For now my Burner is safely stored in my Wendy house  - priceless  

What a great barnfind. 

I think I am going to put it in storage and restore it one day . Maybe one day when I become a grandfather  they will appreciate and enjoy my old BMX and make there own memories. 

Thanks for sharing your memories. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see yours have Back-pedal brakes, some guys trashed their tyres very quick with them, Mine had front & back cable brakes. 

2 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I see yours have Back-pedal brakes, some guys trashed their tyres very quick with them, Mine had front & back cable brakes. 

Yes it's back-pedal brake .

2 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

I have exact the same Burner but only in Red.

After 10 years of marriage, I was eventually granted access to enter my father in law's hoarder garage ...🤪

Discovered this Burner BMX that my wife use for commuting to school (80's)

I restored it for myself, and use to go to the BMX park with my son when he was still in his BMX stage. The kids thought this ou oom was very cool 

My son outgrown his BMX era now. He saw from me how cool it was to ride a vintage BMX - so his new Mongoose is in storage for the next generation... 

I also thought of selling my Burner after our BMX rides ended, but the reality is, there is not really a market for this. These Burners were also entry level bikes back in the day.

I currently look at the option to place it in my mancave  -but still looking for a real live ET doll  / blanket and basket to put on front..

For now my Burner is safely stored in my Wendy house  - priceless  

You can buy ET dolls on Amazon - but you have the wrong BMX  - you need the Kuwuhara

that said, it's a damn cool idea.  I had the red burner like yours, never sell it. Only the rich kids had the proper ET model

29 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

You can buy ET dolls on Amazon - but you have the wrong BMX  - you need the Kuwuhara

that said, it's a damn cool idea.  I had the red burner like yours, never sell it. Only the rich kids had the proper ET model

haha yes I know it should be a Kuwuhara

actually I have a Kuwuhara as well (which I bought second hand on gumtree during our BMX fase) also stored in my wendy ...but the burner has more sentiment.😜

Thanks I will look on Amazone 

Keep it!

I use to own a Blue and Gold Raleigh. My parents sold it when we moved to Cape Town. This was my first bicycle and I was crazy about it.

In Cape Town I then bought a very expensive (R130) 2nd hand, all original Mongoose Californian with additional laid-back seat post. Someone relieved me of it outside the games arcade. My parents could not afford to replace it.

Years later I bought myself a GT Pro Performer with yellow OGK Skyway mag wheels. In high school I lent it to a "friend" who needed transport and never saw it again.

I would love to have any of them again to cruise around the neighborhood.

I had a similar Raliegh in blue, but it had cable brakes and did not have that extra bit between the toptube and the steerer.

I then won a competition through PnP and Pro Nutro , the prize being a Redline BMX. Loved that bike.

With sadness I can`t remember the type/name of BMX I had, it was red. It was definitely not a GT, Mongoose or even a Raliegh, probably a chonkie from the Transkei.

I do have one memory of the bike when we lived in Queenstown, I could not stopped in time and ended up in my moms prized roses...she showed no compassion for all of the thorns in me.

My sister and I received our bikes the same day, she could not ride hers, I took a large pink and white single speed cruiser with basket around the block.

I was on a bike 24-7.

Moving to Upington, my "business" was to look after holiday makers houses, I would clock many kilometers a day between the houses and the municipal swimming pool for sessions. The reason was to earn enough money to buy a road bike to start triathlons. 

I rode two bikes broken in that time (Silver Bullet, Blou Kablejou) and ended up with my mom`s pink Nisiki womens bike, I rode that bike (Pink Baroness) with pride for two years, even taking out a few traffic furniture sprints. It became "cool" for all of the swimming team members to meet up and ride to the pool vs mom dropping them.

I even took out my girlfriend for a bike ride, trashing her fathers mtb in the canal.

My hope is that my own two boys will experience the freedom only a bicycle can give.

Edited by DJuice
Spelling

Just now, Mongoose! said:

That was the ultimate bike for me then!

older neighbour across the road used to race BMX. Always looked up to him back then, he had some skills.

Was very surprised last year when trying out new routes to get to my old neighbourhood and saw that the Alrode BMX track was still there and did not look to be neglected either.

Off-topic, I see there is a BMX racing track in Germiston, does anyone know if its still used? saw the free-style BMX champs were held in Stone ridge, I am sorry I missed it, some tricks are insane.

I used to burn the neighborhood on a good old Pro300 bmx back in the day (was probably a PnP special) - a red one because they were just faster. I used to cruise the hood until 7 every evening. I was aged between 5 and 7 at the time and promptly got shipped off to boarding school because of my lack of punctuality! I mean I was never late to get to the track...meh!

We used to try kill ourselves on the bmx track which was adjacent to the fire station on Ontdekkers in Florida - kind of at the back of where Florida junction is today. In those days the rage was to own a Daimond Back, and you were a nobody if you couldnt jump 7 tyres lined up in a row, or if you never had a race board on your bars which were tilted waaaay forward

Ah yes - memory lane (sorry for the OT drift)

Whoaa! 80's flashback big time!!

I had a near identical one (I even remember those hand grips!), although cable brakes at the back and I had red aluminum pedals.

And then the red tyres... I remember having a blue set of tyres as well at one point, but they just weren't as cool as the red... 😄