KMC X 12 Any good

Wobble07

Hi guys. Please assist?

I need to replace my chain. Presently running XX1 chain and cassette. Is the KMC X12 on par with XX1, XO1, or should I just stick to XX1?

Thanks

Smoother , longer , crisper .

the cassettes are pricey items and if looked after will outlast your bike 

or they can be killed thorough using a chain of lower quality 

9 hours ago, Rapunzel said:

Currently rotating a kcnc gold and X01 chain and the SRAM just runs a whole lot smoother 

Here's a very interesting article, particularly the graphs of wear vs price https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-best-bicycle-chain-durability-and-efficiency-tested/

Watch out for rotating 2 different chain brands. I did this with a Shimano and KCNC chain, they wore at different rates and by the second rotation the one chain didn't mesh properly so had to go back to the old chain and ran it till everything was finished.

2 hours ago, Alouette3 said:

Watch out for rotating 2 different chain brands. I did this with a Shimano and KCNC chain, they wore at different rates and by the second rotation the one chain didn't mesh properly so had to go back to the old chain and ran it till everything was finished.

That's only because you let one chain wear out. Measure them properly and your cassette will last basically forever.

Also - rotating chains is a bit pointless. Just replace the chain before it gets to 0.5% and bin the old one.

13 hours ago, Rapunzel said:

Currently rotating a kcnc gold and X01 chain and the SRAM just runs a whole lot smoother 

Here's a very interesting article, particularly the graphs of wear vs price https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-best-bicycle-chain-durability-and-efficiency-tested/

in that case next time your're in town use the KCNC and maybe I'll have a better chance of keeping up

1 hour ago, droo said:

That's only because you let one chain wear out. Measure them properly and your cassette will last basically forever.

Also - rotating chains is a bit pointless. Just replace the chain before it gets to 0.5% and bin the old one.

agreed,

I've never understood the chain rotation other than to perhaps cure a bit of boredom.

42 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

agreed,

I've never understood the chain rotation other than to perhaps cure a bit of boredom.

It is useful in one specific case - hot waxing. Then you've always got a fresh one ready to roll while the other one is going through the 2 day washing, drying, boiling, cooling, faffing and incantations around the pot.

People have just adopted the rotation part without the background. And it does extend the life of a drivetrain, just not as much as doing it properly.

Edited by droo
Clarity

7 minutes ago, droo said:

It is useful in one specific case - hot waxing. Then you've always got a fresh one ready to roll while the other one is going through the 2 day washing, drying, boiling, cooling, faffing and incantations around the pot.

People have just adopted the rotation part without the background. And it does extend the life of a drivetrain, just not as much as doing it properly.

Incantations is indeed correct because the religion often require the rest of the components to receive nearly similar attention...

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

agreed,

I was under the impression that rotating chains between 0,25 and 0,5% would increase the life span of the cassette and chain ring.

at 2 000 km Giant replaced the chain and cassette .... as they said it was the cause of a "ticking noise" (which is was not - but that is a different story).

At nearly 5 000km on the ring and 3 000 km on the chain and cassette the chain was just at 0,25, with no 0,5 measurements along its length.

So I did bought a new chain .... thinking this is the correct thing to extend the life span of the other parts.  Felt perfect around the block.  First ride on the trails I had a slight gritty sound going uphill .... turns out it was a rough sound from the ring when under power.

I was advised that the ring had worn just enough that the new chain was the cause of the sound .... Visually the front ring looks absolutely perfect !!  Put the old chain back and it is SILENT.

Guess now it is time to ride that chain until the drive train goes, then replace it all.

Obviously I am wondering if it would have helped to swop the chain when that first set of links only just showed 0,25 at a tight fit .....

PS - Shimano XT, 1x11, and the ebike KMC chains.

any advise welcome