Rear end of bike making clicking sound - I need help diagnosing what may be causing it

MTBRIDER1234

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Steady Spin said:

I could also feel the click. Replaced bearings and it persisted. Ended with replacing the freehub itself. Same hub. 

Outta interest, was it a lyne hub?

If it was then that helps massively

Just now, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Outta interest, was it a lyne hub?

If it was then that helps massively

Lyne High Engagement. Same as yours. 

Just now, Steady Spin said:

Lyne High Engagement. Same as yours. 

Well, then I think it is the hub. I was gonna mess with the pivots, derailleur etc. And you saved me a lotta time, gonna tear down the hub, regrease everything and put in new bearings.

Hopefully that fixes it

57 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Yip it is only a month old. I am convinced it is the bearing. I am definitely considering buying some reslly high quality bearings that will last. It makes the noise when standing and the bearing feels gritty.

Some hubs seem to have really poor internal tolerances which lead to failures. The failure I describe was after a few years on a Funn 142x12 hub so I wasn't too upset, but I had a trash Spesh rear hub that chewed bearings from the outset and was clearly made very poorly. My wife's really old DT star ratchet wheelset has never needed new bearings and they still feel quite acceptable.

Just now, Headshot said:

Some hubs seem to have really poor internal tolerances which lead to failures. The failure I describe was after a few years on a Funn 142x12 hub so I wasn't too upset, but I had a trash Spesh rear hub that chewed bearings from the outset and was clearly made very poorly. My wife's really old DT star ratchet wheelset has never needed new bearings and they still feel quite acceptable.

I am not sure if lyne hubs are bearing munchers, but most people I know have had great luck with them. 

I have probably got unlucky, but I still love the hub and would definitely buy another lyne wheelset.

3 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Hey hubbers, I was out riding yesterday and upon riding home, I discovered there was a clicking sound coming from the rear end. 

I suspect it is hub-related because I have recently regreased the entire bottom bracket assembly and the noise is only present when I am pedalling.

Even if I pedal with literally no load, the clicking is still present, but only if I am sitting on the bike. On the stand, the noise is gone.

Another thing that has confused me is that it only makes the noise in the 3 easiest gears.

Incase it helps, it is a sram gx 10-50 cassette on a lyne amp high engagement wheel. 

Normally I am pretty good with these things but this has stumped me. I am planning to tear the hub down on saturday but I am hoping it may be something simple that I overlooked.

the curse of the clicking sound - you probably cycled past the last oak with the same CLICKING SOUND and it jumped on YOU

are we sure it's not pivot bearings?

I was pedalling up the climb to the Hoogies Hammer and some lady ahead of me actually turned to me and tuned me "your bike is creaking" . . . in that vibe of "make it stop" . . . 

You know when you reach the stage that fellow riders are tuning you how annoying your bike is 😶

Who's got time for servicing when you're meant to be out there to ride?

9/10 a dirty, a non-lubed, chain has an annoying click. If I do a half job I get an annoying click.

7 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

are we sure it's not pivot bearings?

I was pedalling up the climb to the Hoogies Hammer and some lady ahead of me actually turned to me and tuned me "your bike is creaking" . . . in that vibe of "make it stop" . . . 

You know when you reach the stage that fellow riders are tuning you how annoying your bike is 😶

Who's got time for servicing when you're meant to be out there to ride?

I am pretty sure it isn't pivots as it is only at a certain point in the revolution of the wheel that the clicking sound occurs. This makes me think that one or 2 of the balls themselves are damaged and therefore the bearings need replacing.

Like I earlier said, I will invest in some quality bearings which will hopefully last longer

43 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

certain point in the revolution of the wheel that the clicking sound occurs

how sure are you its not a spoke ?

My old road bike had a spoke that would not tighten on the nipple. under certain conditions it would tick on every revolution of the wheel.

3 minutes ago, ouzo said:

how sure are you its not a spoke ?

My old road bike had a spoke that would not tighten on the nipple. under certain conditions it would tick on every revolution of the wheel.

99.9% sure, all the spokes are tight, the wheel runs true and it is only a month old, I think it is either a bearing, or the cassette and xd driver interface needs more grease (or likely both)

Don’t grease the freehub inside. Clean and very light weight crease around the pawl springs only. 

This thread is all kinds of PTSD and De Ja Vu