bike computer recommendations

Kingofthemountains

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Do you have the original unit with software version 1.1.1,1?

I have the M50 and I have tried updating the software and firmware etc...

The 'on bike' usability is good, but I kept having to reset the wifi/connection, reset the phone connection, the app kept freezing etc....

I got over it. I record everything with my Fenix 6x pro as it does everything automatically as soon as I get home and I never really take it off unless it needs a charge.

I'm sure Stages have worked on their app/interface but they lost me after months of it not working. In my mind it's a piece of junk

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I have the M50 and I have tried updating the software and firmware etc...

The 'on bike' usability is good, but I kept having to reset the wifi/connection, reset the phone connection, the app kept freezing etc....

I got over it. I record everything with my Fenix 6x pro as it does everything automatically as soon as I get home and I never really take it off unless it needs a charge.

I'm sure Stages have worked on their app/interface but they lost me after months of it not working. In my mind it's a piece of junk

Please send them your feedback. 
I have mentioned to them that the unit is very sensitive to the model of phone it’s connected too and other wifi interference.

I hope they resolve the issues . They do updates regularly as problems are captured and they have solutions 

9 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Please send them your feedback. 
I have mentioned to them that the unit is very sensitive to the model of phone it’s connected too and other wifi interference.

I hope they resolve the issues . They do updates regularly as problems are captured and they have solutions 

I will do that, thank you. I honestly didn't know they were open to users submitting glitches.

It would be nice to have a fully functional unit. 

27 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I will do that, thank you. I honestly didn't know they were open to users submitting glitches.

It would be nice to have a fully functional unit. 

Mail stages directly. The omnico guys will ultimately replace it if it’s faulty. The back up is quite good. As long as it’s under warranty that is.

the stages support guys are quite sharp and they’re online now thanks to time difference 

I bought a Lezyne purely for the navigation features; and that it was half the price of the Garmin 5xx series. It has a good battery life (depending on the settings used), but does not control a smart trainer despite the FE-C function showing in the settings (it’s for controlling the accessories like front and rear lights).

I have the Mega-C which I believe is discontinued, but it’s bigger sibling the Mega XL is still available. 

It offers live tracking, and Strava live segments. You can add offline maps by downloading areas where you ride, or want to ride, and it will show the street maps.

The device settings are done using the Lezyne GPS-root app, and is compatible with Komoot, Strava, TrainingPeaks and Today’s Plan.

Not sure if they are available in SA yet but I have a Hammerhead Karoo 2. I’ve had an Elemnt and a few Garmin devices but none of them came close to the mapping and nav functionality of the Karoo. Not to mention the amazing screen.

We spent a lot of time this year mountain biking near Girona and I used a combo of Trailforks, Komoot and Strava to put together some amazing rides. The Karoo didn’t miss a beat. It re-routed when we needed it to and the maps are super simple and clear to follow - even on teeny tiny singletrack. The heatmap feature is genius for finding popular stuff the mapping apps may have missed too.

I can’t recommend it enough if you do a lot of riding in unknown places. 

17 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

If I can give you any advice, DON'T get a Stages, no matter what Sean Sakho says.

They are not even good paper weights.

I have one and it is absolute junk with regards app syncing and out of use application.

It works pretty well while on the road/trail, but everything else is a fail even with a 30% pass rate

Stages have launched the new M200 & L200, they are in SA but waiting ICASA certification.

I currently have a test unit. Big improvements in the mounting system (1/4 turn), user interface, buttons, screen and there is also a new stages app. Just make sure you are using that if you are trying to update M50.

DCrainmaker posted some pretty favourable reviews on it. 

33 minutes ago, BikeisLife said:

Stages have launched the new M200 & L200, they are in SA but waiting ICASA certification.

I currently have a test unit. Big improvements in the mounting system (1/4 turn), user interface, buttons, screen and there is also a new stages app. Just make sure you are using that if you are trying to update M50.

DCrainmaker posted some pretty favourable reviews on it. 

Yeah I forgot about the new app. It’s more stable across iOS and android versions now than the previous app..

The M200 and L200 share their hardware with the new Giant bike computers.

I've had a few Garmin units in the last couple of years - from Fenix and Instinct watches to Edge 520s and 130s. I couldn't fault the on the bike functioning, but where it all fell apart was the app - with both Android and Apple, although more Apple - the units would sync well for a while, and then all of a sudden not at all no matter what I try, then it is an unpair / repair situation and it works again for a while, and then again not. 

Recently made the move to Wahoo Elemnt Bolt 2. On the bike it is going to be down to preference - I prefer the Wahoo, but I can't say it is better than the Garmins. But, off the bike the Wahoo wins hands down - it's App is faultless, rides sync immediately, and personalizing the unit from the app is much easier than anything I have experienced with Garmin. 

I don't think you will go wrong with either, I have just not had any frustrating sync issues with Wahoo which is enough for me to go with Wahoo again should I need a new unit for some reason. 

1 hour ago, Grease_Monkey said:

I've had a few Garmin units in the last couple of years - from Fenix and Instinct watches to Edge 520s and 130s. I couldn't fault the on the bike functioning, but where it all fell apart was the app - with both Android and Apple, although more Apple - the units would sync well for a while, and then all of a sudden not at all no matter what I try, then it is an unpair / repair situation and it works again for a while, and then again not. 

Recently made the move to Wahoo Elemnt Bolt 2. On the bike it is going to be down to preference - I prefer the Wahoo, but I can't say it is better than the Garmins. But, off the bike the Wahoo wins hands down - it's App is faultless, rides sync immediately, and personalizing the unit from the app is much easier than anything I have experienced with Garmin. 

I don't think you will go wrong with either, I have just not had any frustrating sync issues with Wahoo which is enough for me to go with Wahoo again should I need a new unit for some reason. 

How is the new Bolt's battery life?

9 minutes ago, RandomEuro said:

How is the new Bolt's battery life?

With Bluetooth on, HR monitor and power meter connected, I am charging once a week with around 8 to 10 hours of riding per week. Battery has not dropped below 40% yet. I haven't tried to see how long it would last.

57 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

With Bluetooth on, HR monitor and power meter connected, I am charging once a week with around 8 to 10 hours of riding per week. Battery has not dropped below 40% yet. I haven't tried to see how long it would last.

That is pretty impressive. It’s definitely on my shortlist now

3 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

Two Garmin units, 520 and a 130, on two different bikes, since 2017.  Never had issues syncing to Samsung Android.   TOUCH WOOD !!

Just the battery range of the 520 down to 3 hours after 5 years of regular use.... now using a battery bank for longer rides.

I have the 530 and love most things about it except the synching with Garmin Connect on my iPhone. Worked brilliantly for a while and rides were synched within a few seconds of finishing the ride. Now i have to open Garmin Connect on my phone and wait maybe 5 min to synch. Once it does, then no issues after that.  

On 9/1/2022 at 2:05 AM, michaelbiker said:

Not sure if they are available in SA yet but I have a Hammerhead Karoo 2. I’ve had an Elemnt and a few Garmin devices but none of them came close to the mapping and nav functionality of the Karoo. Not to mention the amazing screen.

We spent a lot of time this year mountain biking near Girona and I used a combo of Trailforks, Komoot and Strava to put together some amazing rides. The Karoo didn’t miss a beat. It re-routed when we needed it to and the maps are super simple and clear to follow - even on teeny tiny singletrack. The heatmap feature is genius for finding popular stuff the mapping apps may have missed too.

I can’t recommend it enough if you do a lot of riding in unknown places. 

you can order from Suunto - Price delivered is under 6000 which seems a bargain. I contemplated it at the time, but got a Wahoo on a decent sale.
https://www.suunto.com/en-za/Products/partner-products/karoo-2-cycling-computer/karoo-2-cycling-computer/

part of me regrets it, but the Wahoo does all i need, except for the nightmare trying to get it, and my Polar HRM results into any app/format that will work for Discovery.

So if Vitality points are your thing, go Garmin. the headache isnt worth it