Top 5 scam schemes

Shebeen

Over the years there have been a few choice individuals who have used this platform for their devious ways - many have been found out, but not all caught.

Who's the best of the best?

Not really looking at quantums of revenue, but more chancers who took a gap and got found out. The usual 419/offshore oil rig scammers are a dime and dozen and not that interesting due to similar m.o., which just shifts as the platforms move in popularity. These guys are a bit more original.

drum roll. in no particular order but starting with this live and developing case:

"Longtime listener, first time caller" Lionel sells his "bianchi" to multiple buyers 

Torn in two pieces the wood collector is in it for the long game

NJ Crichton, furniture scammer dabbled in bikes. left a trail wherever he went. thread currently ends with him in custody 2 years ago....

under special mentions we have these two brothers from another mother.

This Evan guy i forget the actual crime, i think it was something like selling worn tyres "as new". but then his twitter got found and we were off to the races.

then there was Deefs, Can't find the thread again. He sold some fake wheels as the real deal and then ran a mile once found out. Turns out his social media selfies were as legit as the Mavics he was peddling.

dewan-hattingh.jpg?w=300&h=225

so what's the point of this thread? Well to highlight the chancers here, hopefully keep their dodgy name up on search results,

I have probably missed plenty

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posting red flag statements could help, like you said - offshore oilrigs, funny names, someone will come collect etc 

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Over the years there have been a few choice individuals who have used this platform for their devious ways - many have been found out, but not all caught.

Who's the best of the best?

Not really looking at quantums of revenue, but more chancers who took a gap and got found out. The usual 419/offshore oil rig scammers are a dime and dozen and not that interesting due to similar m.o., which just shifts as the platforms move in popularity. These guys are a bit more original.

drum roll. in no particular order but starting with this live and developing case:

"Longtime listener, first time caller" Lionel sells his "bianchi" to multiple buyers 

Torn in two pieces the wood collector is in it for the long game

NJ Crichton, furniture scammer dabbled in bikes. left a trail wherever he went. thread currently ends with him in custody 2 years ago....

under special mentions we have these two brothers from another mother.

This Evan guy i forget the actual crime, i think it was something like selling worn tyres "as new". but then his twitter got found and we were off to the races.

then there was Deefs, Can't find the thread again. He sold some fake wheels as the real deal and then ran a mile once found out. Turns out his social media selfies were as legit as the Mavics he was peddling.

dewan-hattingh.jpg?w=300&h=225

so what's the point of this thread? Well to highlight the chancers here, hopefully keep their dodgy name up on search results,

I have probably missed plenty

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 

2 hours ago, 117 said:

Speaking of scammers - here's one thats just listed. Gotta love the reason for sale... 😅

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/584097/santa-cruz-high-tower

photo's lifted off the nsmb.com website: https://nsmb.com/articles/the-new-2022-santa-cruz-hightower/

Where's the screenshot, bro? Add has been deleted and now I feel like I missed out

Ah shoot, didnt grab a screen shot. The 2nd link is the website he lifted the photo's from

It was a SC hightower, medium, in 2022 colours being sold as a 2021 version for R12 345. Seller said the the low price was to get a quick sale. The user was all of 19min old at the time. 

18 minutes ago, 117 said:

Ah shoot, didnt grab a screen shot. The 2nd link is the website he lifted the photo's from

It was a SC hightower, medium, in 2022 colours being sold as a 2021 version for R12 345. Seller said the the low price was to get a quick sale. The user was all of 19min old at the time. 

hey, stop hijacking the historical top scammer thread with current garden variety scammer news!!!

Maybe we can also make this an informative thread so that people are aware of the types of scams doing the rounds.

I'll start: Almost got scammed today. Selling a soundbar on Facebook when a gentleman, Desmond Ngwabeni, DMs me and then we converse on Whatsapp. He says we can meet today - he will take the soundbar. The arrangement changes a bit and I end up meeting with his "cousin", but was told he will do an instant EFT.

Meet with his "cousin", he then does the "transfer" but no money is reflecting in my bank account. He then sends proof of the transfer via Whatsapp and offers to send a photo of his ID and his address. I go get pepper spray out of the car (next to our deal location) and keep it in my pocket. Bunch of calls back and forth where he wants me to hand over the speaker but I refuse unless the funds reflect. His "cousin" ends up leaving without the speaker in a white Hyundai (Uber type sedan) - registration number CA 253 565. Their cell numbers are: 060 823 6345 and 079 356 7060 ("cousin"). The main guy goes by Desmond Ngwabeni the accomplice goes by Kai Matshaya

I reported the incident to SAPS and reported and blocked them on Facebook and Truecaller. Would probably help if other people report them on Truecaller as well. Because I think they do at least 2-3 of these types of scams a day.

Edited by M L

9 minutes ago, M L said:

Maybe we can also make this an informative thread so that people are aware of the types of scams doing the rounds.

I'll start: Almost got scammed today. Selling a soundbar on Facebook when a gentleman, Desmond Ngwabeni, DMs me and then we converse on Whatsapp. He says we can meet today - he will take the soundbar. The arrangement changes a bit and I end up meeting with his "cousin", but was told he will do an instant EFT.

Meet with his "cousin", he then does the "transfer" but no money is reflecting in my bank account. He then sends proof of the transfer via Whatsapp and offers to send a photo of his ID and his address. I go get pepper spray out of the car (next to our deal location) and keep it in my pocket. Bunch of calls back and forth where he wants me to hand over the speaker but I refuse unless the funds reflect. His "cousin" ends up leaving without the speaker in a white Hyundai (Uber type sedan) - registration number CA 253 565. Their cell numbers are: 060 823 6345 and 079 356 7060 ("cousin"). The main guy goes by Desmond Ngwabeni the accomplice goes by Kai Matshaya

I reported the incident to SAPS and reported and blocked them on Facebook and Truecaller. Would probably help if other people report them on Truecaller as well. Because I think they do at least 2-3 of these types of scams a day.

so kind of like duplicate this thread that does exactly that and is pinned to the top of the list?

22 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

so kind of like duplicate this thread that does exactly that and is pinned to the top of the list?

Well in that case, no. Didn't know it exists.

Will post there then.

3 hours ago, 117 said:

Speaking of scammers - here's one thats just listed. Gotta love the reason for sale... 😅

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/584097/santa-cruz-high-tower

photo's lifted off the nsmb.com website: https://nsmb.com/articles/the-new-2022-santa-cruz-hightower/

Was reposted again few mins ago, even same pics, for R10000 and deleted in a few mins, admins are awake 🦾🔥