Gravel Bikes Welcome at 2023 36ONE MTB Challenge

News bot

The 36ONE MTB Challenge is dubbed “the ultimate race.” It is not hard to see why when looking at the simple statistics. At 361 kilometres long, with nearly 5 000 metres of climbing, it is a huge ride. Then there is the afternoon start, racing through the night and the 36-hour cut-off. All considered, completing […]

View full article

Well gravel bikes were allowed if you did the half this year so why not allow it for the entire route. Perhaps 2022 was just a pilot run?

28 minutes ago, Headshot said:

"Most MTB's sold in SA are effectively gravel bikes". Tell me why I'm wrong.

eBikes actually... It'll be a fad i rekon like fat bikes

Edited by Meezo

34 minutes ago, Headshot said:

"Most MTB's sold in SA are effectively gravel bikes". Tell me why I'm wrong.

Wrong, maybe not depending on how you read that...
You are probably more accurate referring to the user of said MTB than the MTB itself.

10 minutes ago, Meezo said:

eBikes actually... It'll be a fad i rekon like fat bikes

Gravel racing is something very different. It is not like road where you can just sit in the bunch. You actually need to be strong enough to keep up on the rolling resistance while it is still useful to be in a bunch if you are strong enough to keep up.

You need skill also but not as much skill that is required for a MTB event so it is a bit more attractive to those that is limited in this area.

Not sure what fat bikes brought to the table "racing" wise. That's just a toy to have fun with and not really a suitable weapon for any racing... unless you racing on a beach. So yeah maybe a fad.

eBikes has a place, don't see that going away so def not a fad. 

I did the 180 on my Gravel bike. There was nothing on that route that was unrideable if you know how to handle a bike. I even passed some riders on mtbs going down Rooiberg.

People seem to forget that rigid mtbs were a thing and we were riding much more technical stuff than the 361 route back then #oldballie

If it's too rough for you, get off and walk, I can promise you, there's no one out there that will judge you.

4 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I did the 180 on my Gravel bike. There was nothing on that route that was unrideable if you know how to handle a bike. I even passed some riders on mtbs going down Rooiberg.

People seem to forget that rigid mtbs were a thing and we were riding much more technical stuff than the 361 route back then #oldballie

If it's too rough for you, get off and walk, I can promise you, there's no one out there that will judge you.

I think the first half have some jeeptrack and a bit rougher terrain (haven't ridden it myself) which might be the official reason why they didn't allow gravel bikes to do the full. But anyway, good decision - let peeps decide for themselves.

29 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I think the first half have some jeeptrack and a bit rougher terrain (haven't ridden it myself) which might be the official reason why they didn't allow gravel bikes to do the full. But anyway, good decision - let peeps decide for themselves.

Back when the start time was at 18:00 yes. I have not done the new route and start time at 15:00 yet but the changes seems to have made times a lot faster and maybe a bit friendlier for Gravel bikes.