[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

3 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

I was referring more to 2024 but it seems we’ll be fine still for next year.

2025 onwards, we dont stand a chance because the race would need to move 2 weeks earlier and dont think that will be possible.

So essentially looks like we’ll miss 2025 and 2026. And then 2027 we should be fine but most guys will have essentially done no training or light training.

Work on 10 days a year moving earlier with start of Ramadan, then the likely year if the CTCT remains 2 week in March, Muslim can participate in 2027 again. Predicated new moon for 2027 is 8 March 2027 and likely date for CTCT will be 14 March 2027 .... 

https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/phases/south-africa/johannesburg?year=2027

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Shebeen said:

If I read it correctly then Ramadaan for 2025 will be 28 feb - 30 Mar. So it will definitely fall in the dates.

The race date has only ever moved 2 from 2nd sunday of March, and in 45 years would probably have been during Ramadaan 4 or 5 times now.

Correct, 2025 and 2026 will probably be out for fasting participants to compete the CTCT. 2027 is likely they can participate again; this is if the organizers keep the CTCT event to 2nd week March of each year?

Edited by FaizelSalie_01

1 hour ago, Owen said:

Great day for cycling. Beautiful Cape Town. Clean roads and no potholes. Started in & Group. The guys were well behaved. No silly switching lines. 

Managed to finish with a 2h57mins 

322D163D-EDE6-4C10-B2E4-860D77FC64BF.jpeg

199BCC40-98A6-47EB-8871-0DF9F996DAE7.jpeg

064C0D16-E15A-424E-8C03-6B7D3809A620.jpeg

Thanks for posting these Owen . I see you have me captured in your third pic. 😂

someone needs to have a gentle word with mr red tarmac and orange sox. 
That sir  ride with an entitled attitude. Barging riders out of your way and when you punctured you just pull over with out raising a hand to indicate a problem. I think it was you who caused the accident opp the Newlands fire station and conveniently you have no race number visible.

34 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Thanks for posting these Owen . I see you have me captured in your third pic. 😂

someone needs to have a gentle word with mr red tarmac and orange sox. 
That sir  ride with an entitled attitude. Barging riders out of your way and when you punctured you just pull over with out raising a hand to indicate a problem. I think it was you who caused the accident opp the Newlands fire station and conveniently you have no race number visible.

What a box

I hope his race number was under that gillet and didn't just jump in to cause shambles 😤

4 minutes ago, babse said:

What a box

I hope his race number was under that gillet and didn't just jump in to cause shambles 😤

i don't think it  was a gillet but it might have been. I don't recall seeing a number hanging from his handle bars either

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

i don't think it  was a gillet but it might have been. I don't recall seeing a number hanging from his handle bars either

Actually saw quite a few non numbered riders in the first few bunches while spectating... 

Seems jumping in on boulevard/M3 is a real thing!? Can't see number flying off within 10mins of the start.  

23 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

looks like a gillet to me & his result is on Racetec.

image.png.b783065dcef2cb9f4ef4613d193d37a4.png

13 hours ago, Kimikaze said:

Anyone in the 42km not get any results on racetec? 5 of my development riders did the 42km, with their racetec chips, but none of their results are showing 🤔

The timing chip was in the number board for the 42km, not the racetec timing chip.

I did not get a time but Marcel did as he had his board on, I was too tired to switch from the first lap board.

10 hours ago, Owen said:

Great day for cycling. Beautiful Cape Town. Clean roads and no potholes. Started in & Group. The guys were well behaved. No silly switching lines. 

Managed to finish with a 2h57mins 

322D163D-EDE6-4C10-B2E4-860D77FC64BF.jpeg

199BCC40-98A6-47EB-8871-0DF9F996DAE7.jpeg

064C0D16-E15A-424E-8C03-6B7D3809A620.jpeg

IMG_6471.MOV

Thanks for the pic Owen! 

6 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Thanks for the pic Owen! 

To be honest, I looked out for a Pure Savage wheel most of the day. I sat behind probably about 4 of your guys on the section along Kalk Bay / Simon’s Town. You learn to follow educated wheels in a fast bunch. 

Thanks Pure Savage guys

10 hours ago, babse said:

Actually saw quite a few non numbered riders in the first few bunches while spectating... 

Seems jumping in on boulevard/M3 is a real thing!? Can't see number flying off within 10mins of the start.  

He didn’t jump in I don’t think. Pretty sure I saw him on the on-ramp to eastern. Boulevard already. I noted the bunch etiquette was lacking early on and tried to keep well clear. Shortly before the Newlands FS crash he barged past me clipped my shoulder. Fortunately I had space to my left but the next guy didn’t.

there was a lot of this going on. He wasn’t the only culprit. Maybe I should ride more winter league races and get used  to this new normal ….

pS: Milkys post shows the oke in the start chute so this is moot. 

12 hours ago, FaizelSalie_01 said:

Work on 10 days a year moving earlier with start of Ramadan, then the likely year if the CTCT remains 2 week in March, Muslim can participate in 2027 again. Predicated new moon for 2027 is 8 March 2027 and likely date for CTCT will be 14 March 2027 .... 

https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/phases/south-africa/johannesburg?year=2027

ok so it's about a 10days move per year, so essentially there will be a ~3/4 year period for a month to pass through.

Two oceans Ultramarathon has always been on Easter saturday. ALWAYS. works quite well as you have an entire 4 days guaranteed to enjoy the experience.

Then about 20 years ago they started a half marathon and for some weird reason despite the crappy route it has become one of the biggest half marathons on the calendar. 

Then last year due  to covid and stuff they had to split the half and full onto the Easter saturday and Easter Sunday

The churchy people kicked up a massive fuss about the Ultra on the Sunday as even though the event was brought early and road closures allowed anyone to get to their 9am services it created massive hoopla.

Now for 2023 for the first time Two oceans is the weekend after easter*.  

I have a very conflicting internal opinion on this.

a)I want to be inclusive and respectful of as many people as possible

b)I think ALL mass religions that tell you what you can and can't do are incredibly silly. I know this will go south if it becomes a religious debate, so I want to make it clear that I don't want to single any religion out, they are all silly (in my mind), To cater for religion X, means you need to then cater for religion Y and then religion Z and eventually it becomes impossible to hold the event. you can't please all the people all the time, so here's the date suck it up. 

*So am I just being insensitive to people's way of life/beliefs? Maybe, I should just shut up about it but nobody is really able to voice for the opinion of many many people who had a longterm habit of spending a long weekend in CT doing the Two oceans (and the ease of being able to fly in/fly out over 4/5 days rather than 2/3).

34 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

ok so it's about a 10days move per year, so essentially there will be a ~3/4 year period for a month to pass through.

Two oceans Ultramarathon has always been on Easter saturday. ALWAYS. works quite well as you have an entire 4 days guaranteed to enjoy the experience.

Then about 20 years ago they started a half marathon and for some weird reason despite the crappy route it has become one of the biggest half marathons on the calendar. 

Then last year due  to covid and stuff they had to split the half and full onto the Easter saturday and Easter Sunday

The churchy people kicked up a massive fuss about the Ultra on the Sunday as even though the event was brought early and road closures allowed anyone to get to their 9am services it created massive hoopla.

Now for 2023 for the first time Two oceans is the weekend after easter*.  

I have a very conflicting internal opinion on this.

a)I want to be inclusive and respectful of as many people as possible

b)I think ALL mass religions that tell you what you can and can't do are incredibly silly. I know this will go south if it becomes a religious debate, so I want to make it clear that I don't want to single any religion out, they are all silly (in my mind), To cater for religion X, means you need to then cater for religion Y and then religion Z and eventually it becomes impossible to hold the event. you can't please all the people all the time, so here's the date suck it up. 

*So am I just being insensitive to people's way of life/beliefs? Maybe, I should just shut up about it but nobody is really able to voice for the opinion of many many people who had a longterm habit of spending a long weekend in CT doing the Two oceans (and the ease of being able to fly in/fly out over 4/5 days rather than 2/3).

Just to respond to this. I dont expect the organisers nor do i want them to move the race forward by 2 weeks or longer to accommodate one group of people. I agree with everything you’re saying that you can’t cater for everyone.

I thought if it was 1 week earlier, it seemed a bit more reasonable and has been done previously but as has been stated earlier, it won’t be necessary as Ramadan will still begin after the Argus next year so there’s no issue there. As for 2025 onwards, the Muslim guys will have to just sit it out unfortunately for 2-3 years. That’s just how it goes.