[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

15 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Very cool graph - but can't you combine it for a few years?

2021 we didn't have the best day weather-wise.

In good weather years even groups like 1D and 1E can sub-3 if I recall correctly

2021 the October August?

I thought that weather was pretty decent. Rode in 1A that year and we rode sub3 by almost 17mins 🙊

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember downloading the racetec data after the 2019 race just to try and prove how hard it was relative to 2018 - if I recall correctly the average and median times increased by about 20 minutes, and we went from just over 4% sub-3 to something like 0.5% (~110 people).

I think proper analysis between many years will show the weather probably has a greater effect on your sub-3 chances than your seeding group, even though both strongly correlate.

I find it interesting in the 2021 results that the lower whisker (indicating the top performers in some way) of each group from ~1F to 3C is quite similar, perhaps indicating the "pretty well trained but not seeded well" ceiling for normal people?

3 minutes ago, babse said:

2021 the October August?

I thought that weather was pretty decent. Rode in 1A that year and we rode sub3 by almost 17mins 🙊

You are right! Got confused with 2022

2021 I got dropped from 2 groups in succession, TT'ed for 20km, latched onto the 3rd group passing me and still managed to sneak in just under 3h00 🙈 - so yes - ideal sub 3 weather in 2021

8 hours ago, Jono said:

I did a sub 3 from 1C in 2021, well just...

image.png.f50215cb714771d0ff0d91af060987af.png

There is hope after all.

How did you go about riding on the day? Were you in the peloton for some / most of the ride... interested to learn how you managed this feat!

PS - does it still count if you get 2hr 59min and 60sec?

40 minutes ago, mrdaynes said:

There is hope after all.

How did you go about riding on the day? Were you in the peloton for some / most of the ride... interested to learn how you managed this feat!

I did it from 1F but weather was good that year. Laugh it off if the wind is bad.

It's was terrible experience but got the job done 🤣

I led the group from the start, mostly because I didn't trust the poor bunch etiquette on display. If you're braver you could sit in that group until Smits where it shatters to pieces. After that it's solo all the way with lots of scavengers from earlier groups happy to draft behind you but never coming to the front when asked to take a turn. There's some camaraderie after Suikers with people happier to help when they know the goal is in sight.

28 minutes ago, mrdaynes said:

There is hope after all.

If the weather is good and you're in a decent group sub 3 is very achievable. You need to stay with your group and hopefully contribute by doing a turn or two on the front. The groups seems to blow up on Chappies so hang in until then and do your best from there. 

When we were doing the stretch after Suikerbossie I realised we were very close to the cut off so rallied up the small group I was in and dug deep. The year before I did a 3:00:47 from 1G and wasn't keen to let that happen again!

And no 2hr 59min and 60sec is the same as 3:00:00 and not a sub 3!

1 minute ago, Jono said:

If the weather is good and you're in a decent group sub 3 is very achievable. You need to stay with your group and hopefully contribute by doing a turn or two on the front. The groups seems to blow up on Chappies so hang in until then and do your best from there. 

When we were doing the stretch after Suikerbossie I realised we were very close to the cut off so rallied up the small group I was in and dug deep. The year before I did a 3:00:47 from 1G and wasn't keen to let that happen again!

And no 2hr 59min and 60sec is the same as 3:00:00 and not a sub 3!

Sounds like you had a much better group. Maybe I'm the problem 🤔

Just now, DieselnDust said:

First week of March after tour de ppa

Doubt it’ll be that late. We normally get it immediately after 99er.

2 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Doubt it’ll be that late. We normally get it immediately after 99er.

99er not automatically used for seeding this years ctcc you have to manually request re-seeding

2023 99er will count towards 2024 CTCC

14 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Last official seeding event is the tour de ppa which usually takes place before the 99er

Logistical question ....

How many CTCT riders in 2023 ?

How long does it take to print and prepare this many rider packs ?  

By when must the CTCT team wrap up seeding to get all their logistics done in time ?

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Logistical question ....

How many CTCT riders in 2023 ?

How long does it take to print and prepare this many rider packs ?  

By when must the CTCT team wrap up seeding to get all their logistics done in time ?

It’s all pretty much managed by racetrc these days.

seeding is adjusted up the last minute which is typically last week of February first week of March depending on how 2 weeks before CTCT falls on the calendar.

one year they weee printing numbers at the expo but it backfired a bit when printer trouble arrived. Can’t say I didn’t see that one coming. In the past the goodie bags were usually the hold up but with no goodie bags it’s just a matter of print and package then set up expo