[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

7 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

So basically wind will be calm initially and pumping heavily around simonstown. And then work in our favour after Smit’s and then die down as we get closer to camps bay.

Except if you start at 9-ish 😬

Edited by cat-i

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Jbr said:

I got in for free, without my chip

Same. I had to give the uncle some lip. But I succeeded. 

13 minutes ago, swingTOpeddle said:

7FD53110-81AA-482A-9B98-1AA1AFC00A57.jpeg

this little turmeric packet from hell...

So my Expo ....

Had a morning meeting in Muizenberg .... made sense to get back to Bellville via the Expo, lunch time and all ....

JIP, e-prix stands is a total MESS !!  Ended up circling past the lighthouse, as directed by the CTCT volunteers ....  Back at McDonalds the cops finally explains the situation: "NO parking"  Go park at the Waterfront, or on Main Road, or ....

A number of us proceeded to Main road.  A friendly volunteer in a yellow bib waved us to a parking area, even showed us where to park.  Looked well organised and reminded of last year's volunteers.

Okay, lunch time has shrunk to lets get a move on !

Also found a friendly but effective control of the RaceTec chips to enter .... got a lot of bemused looks, as I had my one cycling shoe in my hand.  Chip is strapped into the lases ....

Quick and most efficient number collection.  Very nice friendly group.

Goodie bag ..... uhm ja .... :P

Expo .... directly after the number collection you walk through a few stalls .... and then nothing ... HUH .....  It is a short walk before you actually get to the EXPO.  Difficult to say how many exibitors, due to the layout.  Certainly all the usual suspects were there.  The "bike shop" was again VERY BUSY !!  Lunch just about gone I carried on walking and had a quick look at a few of the stalls.  Some nice energetic young sales people at work.

Of course I spent some time at Teng Tools .....

I then stopped at the one stall that I was planning on buying at.  Actually held back on shop purchases over the last few months, knowing what specials they had last year ....  R5 difference between their price and what my LBS sells it for ......  I still had a nice chat with the gent, as I DO enjoy their products.  When I mentioned the price he turned to the cashier and gave a 17% discount ..... 

The goods are there, but you need to know your prices ....

I really enjoyed "DC Designers" stall.  Some NICE stuff, for every type of sports person.

EDIT - BEST stall ... MTN .... they have a liquidiser on a bike .... :clap:

I was never going to get the best experience out of it in such a short time, still enjoyed it.

Got back to the car to see a "pamphlet" under the wiper .... same with the cars next to me.  We are all used to the oportunistic marketing at these events, so I expected some product add .... NOPE ....

- we were shown where to park, by what looked like the same bibbed volunteers of last year.

- ZERO no-parking signs !!!

but we all got a R500 fine .....

But Officer T Motsepe of group 204 (officer number 100521136) was happily watching people being shown where to park ... and then pinning a fine on the car once we were out of sight.  He was in NO way stopping the "bibbed volunteer" to show people where to park !!

All my feelings and emotions on this aside ..... PLEASE get the message out there: "ONLY park in marked parking bays"

NO - the lack of a "no parking" sign does not make it a legal parking spot .....

And NO, the cops just smile while the "bibbed volunteer" shows more cars to these spots.

Allow enough time to park at the Waterfront and enjoy a long walk.  ENJOY the Expo, it is actually nice, even though it is worth knowing your prices.

Edited by ChrisF

23 minutes ago, NeverNotRolling said:

Lol my sanitizer is expired. April 2022. Not that it matters but thought it was funny...

same here ....:P

just laughing at this.

promised myself I wont be that guy that moans about a goodie bag .....

Edited by ChrisF

42 minutes ago, MirageF1 said:

I’m just wondering if anyone else got a bag of split peas and a bag of rice in their “race pack”? 

F90E49DA-7D9F-42ED-93A2-25B942C22636.jpeg

Can i swop your ice tea for a mango juice?

I’ll throw in some rice and split peas also to sweeten the deal.

35 minutes ago, NeverNotRolling said:

Lol my sanitizer is expired. April 2022. Not that it matters but thought it was funny...

lol, same. who checks the expiry date on sanitizer though 🤣 Probably stock from last year, the bottle looks familiar

Edited by Jbr

1 minute ago, Bub Marley said:

I have pins. 

Ahahaha, ok, so nothing is consistent then 🙈

Neither me nor my sister got pins.

Anyway…. the moral is, check before Sunday morning