Wines2Whales 2022: Who's Riding?

esCape-ist

I just had a quick look and can’t find one, but if there is another thread please shut this one down.

Just thought would be cool to have a build up thread for everyone riding wine 2 whales this year, talk about your prep, ask questions if you are unsure and looking for advice etc.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

flights, accommodation, shuttle, entries, massages and service packages booked and paid.

doing the shiraz this year

for now I'm at least drinking fit......

• 1 month later...

Meh - slightly overrated IMO.

Nowadays I like doing the smaller, less hyped up stuff like Van Loveren's Java Pinotage Race (Robertson), Du Toitskloof Wine's Gravel & Grape (Rawsonville) or Rooibos2Muisbos (Lamberts Baai).

Shout out to smaller races:

- Goodie bag is fantastic

- Food and drinks on the ride include bananas, sweets, biltong, coke

- Support often include an e-bike crew

- For R300-R800 it's insanely good value

20 minutes ago, M L said:

Meh - slightly overrated IMO.

Nowadays I like doing the smaller, less hyped up stuff like Van Loveren's Java Pinotage Race (Robertson), Du Toitskloof Wine's Gravel & Grape (Rawsonville) or Rooibos2Muisbos (Lamberts Baai).

Shout out to smaller races:

- Goodie bag is fantastic

- Food and drinks on the ride include bananas, sweets, biltong, coke

- Support often include an e-bike crew

- For R300-R800 it's insanely good value

Okay.

I'm doing my first W2W this year and I'm so excited!

I'm wondering if someone can tell me how difficult it is compared to Sani2C? Everyone told me that Sani2C would be easy, had a jol but it hurt big time. 

2 minutes ago, MTBmeisie said:

I'm wondering if someone can tell me how difficult it is compared to Sani2C? Everyone told me that Sani2C would be easy, had a jol but it hurt big time. 

A bit more technical and rough terrain than Sani2C, but somewhat shorter distances. I would say roughly equal in difficulty (assuming the weather is not extreme, which is always a possibility in October in the WC)

1 hour ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Okay.

^^^^^^^^^

This reply should be the standard to anyone who comes on to a thread about a specific event and states they aren't going to enter the race because of whatever justification they find themselves employing at that particular time.

41 minutes ago, MTBmeisie said:

The climbing is a bit more and a bit more technical than Sani, but the distances are shorter. So that doesn't really answer your question - but don't worry, just ride at a pace that you feel comfortable with and enjoy the chance to participate in this great event!

If I can find a team mate and funds I'll enter. i love the event even though its not the most technical it is pretty tough to race. The Elgin and Paul Cluver trails are running pretty rough at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Pieterlab1 said:

So it's the three of us?

Last ride at Conties MOST groups were talking about their preparations for W2W.

Of the more than 300 participants at Eselfontein, only 3 posted on the Hub ....  Seems the MTB'ers are posting less and less on the Hub ....

19 hours ago, MTBmeisie said:

I think W2w is harder than Sani2C. Sani is a lekker ride but its not as tough as W2W.

W2W terrain is pretty variable and mostly rough by the time the midfield comes through.

Elgin trails are energy sapping. Many go too hard on day 1 across Lourensford and then pay the price on the Alphabet trails in Elgin. this just stuffs up your day 2 to no end.

Play day (Stage 2 is lekker but there is a lot of work to do. It looks flatter with less climbing but that climbing is short and sharp and often on singletrack. One needs to be quite singletrack proficient to enjoy Day 2 to the max.

Day 3 to Hermanus is  more of a high speed drag over some tough terrain.

Overall it's a lekker 3 days that takes more out of you than Sani2C

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Last ride at Conties MOST groups were talking about their preparations for W2W.

Of the more than 300 participants at Eselfontein, only 3 posted on the Hub ....  Seems the MTB'ers are posting less and less on the Hub ....

Yep this place is not what it used to be. Too many keyboard warriors too many 3itching & moaning and and and. But rest assured there are plenty of lurkers that come here just do what they need to and get out of here.