Tour de France 2024

'Dale

10 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Actually quite smart of UAE. Keep more contenders in the fight so they mark each other. UAE knows they can cover with the jersey in their side so it’s up to Bora, TVLaB and Soudal QS to get it off them. 
If the 3 play smart they will use the enemy of my enemy is my friend strategy

Thats exactly what went through my thick skull last night.  Jonas, Primoz & Remco's best chance is probably to pull a tag team effort on Pogi like Jonas & Primoz did 2 years ago.

But thats extremely unlikely that they would work together like that.

Edited by TheoG

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, babse said:

recon Remco is going to make a statement here...

My expectation is that Remco takes 20s on Jonas in the TT, and the Pogi is 10 to 15s behind Jonas. 
That'll hopefully mean sub 30s from 1st to 3rd after the TT. 

41 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Also it would be great if Primoz & Remco can gain some time somehow (asking for another miracle) that we can have a proper 4 horse race for GC.

I'd love to see Roglic get back into the mix, but I think Almeida and C-Rod are his main rivals for a top 5 based on his recent performances. 

3 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

To be 7 seconds off Tadej at the top of Galibier after lying with the extent of his injuries on the side of the road in Basque with no racing at all until this Tour is a pretty impressive performance for someone who is not at 100%. 

How was the conversation on the bus last night between Almeida and Ayuso ?

Listened to Johan Bruynel podcast this morning and he seemed to think Ayuso was not pulling his weight and might be saving energy for his own personal goals. 
Apparently (according to JB) Ayuso is not used to playing second or third fiddle?

Edited by SwissVan

32 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

My expectation is that Remco takes 20s on Jonas in the TT, and the Pogi is 10 to 15s behind Jonas. 
That'll hopefully mean sub 30s from 1st to 3rd after the TT. 

I'd love to see Roglic get back into the mix, but I think Almeida and C-Rod are his main rivals for a top 5 based on his recent performances. 

I would also like to see Roglic getting in the mix.  Will always be a fan.

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

I agree, would be awesome if Jonas can only get better from here, but I think we hoping for a miracle, but then again miracles do happen ... ☺️.

Also it would be great if Primoz & Remco can gain some time somehow (asking for another miracle) that we can have a proper 4 horse race for GC.

I like Roglic in general (not in last years' Vuelta), but asking for 2 miracles for him is a bit tall..

Miracle 1 = staying upright....

Miracle 2 = gaining time....

I dislike Remco in general, so perhaps his miracle can be transferred...

Either Jonas or Pogi will make a worthy champ this year, but I secretly hope for Pogi - he's by far the more exciting rider and the Giro-Tour double title suits him well.  

1 hour ago, SwissVan said:

Listened to Johan Bruynel podcast this morning and he seemed to think Ayuso was not pulling his weight and might be saving energy for his own personal goals. 
Apparently (according to JB) Ayuso is not used to playing second or third fiddle?

Hi Swiss. Can you provide a link please. The Move now seems to be all about betting. JB Podcast on spotify last episode is a preview of Paris Roubaix. 

Anybody with suggestions for good TDF podcasts please. 

10 minutes ago, Blokman said:

Hi Swiss. Can you provide a link please. The Move now seems to be all about betting. JB Podcast on spotify last episode is a preview of Paris Roubaix. 

Check lantern rouge youtube channel for the daily discussions.

Lanterne Rouge - YouTube

Podcasts:

Lanterne Rouge Cycling Podcast - YouTube

Edited by W@nted

14 minutes ago, Blokman said:

3 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

I think you'll eat these words before the end of the tour....

Jonas was 10 or 12s behind at the summit, and then lost time to the heavier rider on a technical descent that required sprinting out of hairpins over and over, which favours Pogi. Yesterday's stage was so reminiscent of last year's stage 6 where Pogi took 24s on a punchy climb to a summit finish, and we all know how that turned out in the end.

The tour is 100% in the balance in my opinion, and the margins are tiny. Jonas closed the gap to 6s at some point on the descent yesterday. If he was literally 3 or 4s closer, I reckon he gets into Pogi's draft and sits on his wheel all the way to the line. But Pogi took massive risks to stay away. One or 2 mistakes on a hairpin and Jonas would have caught him - instead Jonas loses 37s (without bonuses).

But the race of truth on Friday will reveal all...

Yip I agree 100%. Tadej is a much more punchy rider and he has often been able to drop Jonas even on climbs. But despite being less punchy, Jonas seems to have fewer bad days, is the better climber overall and (for whatever reason) seems to deteriorate slowest in this 3 week war of attrition. He's often been underwhelming at the start of the tour but is winning the time trials by week 3 (when he's not donating them to WvA). 

We are all in the dark about how much training he was able to do post accident, but from the first 4 days, I wouldn't be surprised if he is still pushing Tadej in week 3. I think Tadej is still marginal favourite though.

My other picks:

I think remco will have a great 1st week and then fade badly.

If roglic can stay on his bike for 3 weeks he might podium, but I actually think the podium will be Pogacar, Vingeguard, Rodriguez.

2 hours ago, SwissVan said:

I’ll wait for John to correct the bus he was he on.

JBsquared had a good discussion on Ayuso and Almeida. Some interesting insights 

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I see why you did there 😂

spelling error, I was there when he was on the side of the road, I thought he and Jay Vine were never coming back looking at them

3 hours ago, SwissVan said:

No idea what was said on UAE, I do however have some info on the convo from the Redbull-Bora Hansgorhe bus

1 hour ago, Blokman said:

I can also highly recommend the Lantern Rouge recaps and the podcast episodes. I'm really not a fan of the "tone" of The Move or the JB2 podacsts. The Lanterne Rouge podcast is literally 2 obsessed, degenerate cycling fans like us discussing the tactics and events of the day. The Move, especially when Lance is on it, feels to me like I'm listening to old men trying to prove how hardcore they are and that things were so much harder and tougher when they were doing it back in the day. 

17 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Pidcock GC ambitions died a horrible death today. Over 12min down already.

Vinegar showed signs of laboured pedalling. As his pedalling cadence slowed the Pog attacked . Took 12 second out of Vinegar in 1000m and a further 33 on the descent. The Dane needed help to get to the line and then got dropped by Evenpools and the Rock in the last 200m. All the fighting talk in the world can’t hide the fact he’s not where he needs to be. Fourteen days se voet. Hinault was right. 
Brembo looks most likely to challenge

the Rocklic is riding a smart race so far. Didn’t appear to panic when he dropped , just ride his tempo and caught back up on the descent and did so without crashing. I was suitably impressed. If anyone is riding themselves in, it’s the Rog.

Vinegaard made up time on the technical and lost on the flat to Tadej.