Tour de France 2024

'Dale

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

haha yeah... the aero vs light for a weekend warrior is an interesting one.

A lot of people on the road don't ride fast enough to actually benefit from the marginal gains of either, so in reality it's a moot point.

For those slightly more serious, my understanding is that those with power benefit more from an aero bike and suffer less from the weight penalty, while those who are super light and less powerful on the flats benefit more from a light bike and less from an aero bike.

But then just buy both surely and don't forget to put a bespoke hand made recycled bar bag on for your spares.......

I understand how the weights can affect someones performance. For me personally its my body weight. If I am lighter I ride alot better, especially on climbs. I have compare same routes on a 7.8kg road bike vs a I think 12kg hardtail. I am faster on some sections with the mtb on tar with knobbies. I am faster on the roadi over long straights, but if I am a few kg's lighter then I am faster on the roadie.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Is this from actual weights of bikes in the tour weighed by an accredited source of or this based on models of bikes ridden but weight taken from similar bike on the shop floor?

the interesting bit of data is the convergence in the weight of lightweight vs aero bike and I suspect that is simply because aero bike have become less aero and lightweight bikes are more aero hence the convergence 

"

A Few Words About This Research

When searching for the weights of the TdF road bikes, I faced multiple challenges:

1. The bike weights vary depending on the bike size, specifications, and components.
  2. Not all weights were available (e.g., on the manufacturers’ websites, in magazines, or online).

This means the overall results are slightly skewed, but I did my best to provide you with the most accurate answers."

I found this on last years tour where they actually weighed certain riders bikes.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/2022-tour-de-france-bike-weights/

21 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I might die trying, but I would love to attempt it at least 🤪

me too, and if I survive going up, I'd love to descend it with closed roads

On 7/13/2023 at 1:11 PM, SwissVan said:

But in reality I wonder.... Riders eat and drink stuff all day without having a poop (except Mr Dumoulin 😬) and pour water (hopefully) over themselves without worrying about the extra added weight.

Damn can you imagine Pogacar / Vinegaard looses the TDF because they poured to much water on themselves... or did not stop for a poop

That water evaporates, and the excess falls off on the road anyways, wether it's sweat or water, the weight is the same, so rather be cool rather than worry about a non-problem.

And the higher the weight, the less it matters, you want your wheels and bike to be lighter, for the rider, being fueled and cool matters more

1 minute ago, The Ouzo said:

What happened?

Slightly wet roads, not enough to wash everything away.
As a result, a Lotto rider when down, and then many others followed suit.
Apparently it was only Total Energies that didn't have a rider fall, every other team has at least one.

Another crash, Bardet abandons