Tour de France 2024

'Dale

8 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

It would be interesting to know who on the team OK'd this. I think one, maybe 2 others besides TP changed bikes. I think that's a sign of how stupid the idea was. Jonas was going to much faster, even in the TT position.

It really was a masterclass from Jonas on how to perform under pressure. He knew he wasn't the no.1, but the cycling world can no longer deny his prowess.

They did the maths.

They released a statement about it and why Tadej swapped bikes and Yates didn't.

UAE stand by their decision despite the result. It's easy to sit here and bark, but those guys have ALL the info, all the stats, history and understanding.

If they are happy they made the right call, then they have re crunched the data and would likely make the same decision again.

Bear in mind that, despite all the Colnago fans telling you otherwise, their TT bike is HEAVY. Like properly heavy. I think Vingegaard's TT bike weighed 8.3kg, while the Colnago is more than 10kg. 

If the road bike weighs 6.8kg, the 1.5kg weight difference vs 10 seconds for JV is different to 3.2kg for 10 seconds 

Something like that. 

You say stupid in Hindsight, they say science

Edited by Jewbacca

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To follow on, I'd suggest that if Tadej got to ride a better bike he would be even better.

While those Colnago's are steeped in history and magical, mythical legend, their current bikes are quite simply not as sharp or racey as other bikes in the peleton.

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

They did the maths.

They released a statement about it and why Tadej swapped bikes and Yates didn't.

UAE stand by their decision despite the result. It's easy to sit here and bark, but those guys have ALL the info, all the stats, history and understanding.

If they are happy they made the right call, then they have re crunched the data and would likely make the same decision again.

Bear in mind that, despite all the Colnago fans telling you otherwise, their TT bike is HEAVY. Like properly heavy. I think Vingegaard's TT bike weighed 8.3kg, while the Colnago is more than 10kg. 

The 1.5kg weight difference vs 10 seconds for JV is different to 3.2kg for 10 seconds 

Something like that. 

You say stupid in Hindsight, they say science

Posted a comment a few pages back where Mikkel Bjerg mentioned something like a 2kg difference. That is a massive difference me thinks. An old amateur biker always said "It's not about the bike" but I think the bike might have played a role.

9 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

To follow on, I'd suggest that if Tadej got to ride a better bike he would be even better.

While those Colnago's are steeped in history and magical, mythical legend, their current bikes are quite simply not as sharp or racey as other bikes in the peleton.

Expect a call from Ernesto after a comment like that.
https://road.cc/content/news/tom-boonen-apologises-colnago-299863

24 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Gotta keep up man! This thread is speeding up! Because the race is actually over, contrary to what TP might be selling to the media.

What time are they rolling on to the Champs Elysees today? 

13 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Pogacar some new lightweight shallow wheels today.

Hope he got rid of those 31,3mm front, and 32.2mm rear tyres as well ...... 😉

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

I think the fact that Tadej could not properly drop Jonas have broken his spirits somewhat.

He is for sure not the same guy that did the exact same thing to Primoz Roglic a few years ago.

If he was in that state of mind, I'm sure he would have been a lot closer to Jonas yesterday.

Edit:  Also in hind sight, swapping bikes was a mistake which increased the deficit to Jonas.

Tadej was 10s quicker with the bike change it was the right call.

Jumbo had already committed in December for no bike change. 

53 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Irks me that superior technology may play a significant role. Should be determined on skill and athletic ability. This is the TdF, not F1. 

1 hour ago, EddieV said:

Hope he got rid of those 31,3mm front, and 32.2mm rear tyres as well ...... 😉

.😄

Edited by Mongoose!

I'm not sure why UAE or Colnago have to prove anything to anyone with the bike change strategy. Taddy was faster than everyone else... except Vinny, that proves enough already.

He just got beaten by a better rider on the day, it happens, pretty often in the Pro peleton.

UAE has moved 2 of their riders up the road, I expect a long distance attack from Pog today

Edited by Irvin85

8 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I'm not sure why UAE or Colnago have to prove anything to anyone with the bike change strategy. Taddy was faster than everyone else... except Vinny, that proves enough already.

He just got beaten by a better rider on the day, it happens, pretty often in the Pro peleton.

+1

4 minutes ago, Irvin85 said:

UAE has moved 2 of their riders up the road, I expect a long distance attack from Pog today

Majka + M Soler

3 minutes ago, Irvin85 said:

JV countered and have two of their own in the break as well. 

W Kelderman + T Benoot

Some serious chess pieces in play