Tour de France 2024

'Dale

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Van der poel had a quiet day. Must be saving himself for the stages that suit him 

Cavendish too ... 🙊

The sprinters woke up to 3, 600 metres of twisty Tuscan roads for stage 1 of the Tour de France today and would've asked the cycling gods what did they do to deserve this. And, to add, the temperatures were unusually high in the mid 30s, leaving even Ben Healy with no aero helmet on his futile counter attack to catch the head of the race.

If there were any reservations about cycling being a team sport, then today would've yet again, put that question to rest. One of the gentlemen of the sport in Bardet, who is resetting his career next year to race gravel from 2025 onwards, shared this on the ASO website:

"Over the last kilometres it was crazy, there was a headwind, we were going 48 miles an hour... I would never have allowed myself to dream of such a scenario. But I knew Frank is an excellent rider, no other combination could have worked as well. And he deserves this victory as much as I do. The Yellow Jersey was one of my career dreams to wear it for at least one day."

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

image.png.fe59ca3bcb783ca8c0b810c39aaf5c61.png

Gap/Distance to go:

• 53s at 11Km
  • 45s at 9Km
  • 39s at 7Km
  • 35s at 5Km
  • 21s at 3Km
  • 14s at 2Km
  • 11s at 1Km
  • Bardet wins by 5 seconds 

Fantastic for Bardet, dream come true for him.

Some riders went through 16 bidons yesterday. Jorgensen lost 3 kgs with fluid loss, apparently, as shared by George Hincapie on a podcast.

Today's Basilica di San Luca climb is climbed twice and is about 2 kms at 10%, with a handful of kilometres to the finish.This may threaten Bardet's hope to wear the golden fleece into France in a few days as he is not as punchy and will also be carrying fatigue from yesterday's breakaway effort. Will UAE aim to grab a few seconds ahead of its other GC rivals? Bettiol in his tricolore national jersey will be dreaming of top spot too. Don't blink in the final 30 mins.

The pewter-gold colour way option is available to the public and is also the current Olympic champion's choice for the Tour. Not my vibe, but I do like the silhouette of this fiets.

Pic: @Velonewsrichard-carapaz-cannondale-supersix-evo-

Edited by 'Dale

4 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Some riders went through 16 bidons yesterday. Jorgensen lost 3 kgs with fluid loss, apparently, as shared by George Hincapie on a podcast.

Today's Basilica di San Luca climb is climbed twice and is about 2 kms at 10%, with a handful of kilometres to the finish.This may threaten Bardet's hope to wear the golden fleece into France in a few days as he is not as punchy and will also be carrying fatigue from yesterday's breakaway effort. Will UAE aim to grab a few seconds ahead of its other GC rivals? Bettiol in his tricolore national jersey will be dreaming of top spot too. Don't blink in the final 30 mins.

The pewter-gold colour way option is available to the public and is also the current Olympic champion's choice for the Tour. Not my vibe, but I do like the silhouette of this fiets.

Pic: @Velonewsrichard-carapaz-cannondale-supersix-evo-

Blerrie mooi 😍

On 6/29/2024 at 4:42 PM, nathrix said:

I see Trek riders don’t throw those new expensive bottles away, they do an exchange with their team car 🫠IMG_6457.jpeg.3aba22b831ceb4b1f30645295690b0c5.jpegIMG_6458.jpeg.c6186a467753052e03ac90d7d80cfb1b.jpeg

Apparently the bike is faster with the empty bottles on it than without it. 

2 days in. Pog in yellow, already an hr between first and last on GC and the mountains tomorrow. Going to be interesting.

3 hours ago, Meezo said:

one for the sprinters... too flat for MvdP?

image.png

It'll be a day for the pure sprinters. MvdP's job is to leadout his teammate Philipsen whose sprinting style came into question last year as he was deviating like a drunken driver. The quest for a repeat success in the maillot vert competition is due to start now for the team that is, remarkably, not a WorldTour team.

Some say that Cav won't last beyond Stage 4's high mountain stage and that he would prefer to get the magical 35th Tour win today. His 39 year old chassis is not as nimble and durable as it used to be, as he admitted in a interview after the tough stage 1, after arriving 40 mins after the winner.

2 Frenchman, 2 stage wins - must been one of the most successful start for the nation in its Grand Tour? Can Arkea' string together another win and get Arnaud over the line first.

The GC race exploded into action yesterday and how thrilling it was. I suspect that Team UAE-Emirates is reluctant to have the maillot jaune in their midst and would prefer to defend much later on. 

“It was just a good enough final to test the legs, the legs of me and other contenders. I did a really good attack. I was happy that I exploded the contenders a little bit but Jonas was quite fast on my wheel, and he was really strong,”

- Maillot Jaune, Stage 3

Pic: @Rouleur

Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 13.51.30.png

Edited by 'Dale