Hey @Golden Arrow, here's a suggestion...

DuncanCT

should be mandatory on all drivers tests and license renewals

But, what this does not show the guy on the stationary bike is how you get sucked into the big vehicle as it passes.

I have a special dislike for Golden Arrow drivers - in the northern suburbs I often see them driving extremely aggressively and at high speeds. It cannot just be one or two rogue drivers, it seems to be something in the company culture that drivers only have a certain amount of time to complete their shifts.

Not that its ever really save to cycle on Durban road anyway but the biggest reason I completely avoid that road while commuting.

31 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I have a special dislike for Golden Arrow drivers - in the northern suburbs I often see them driving extremely aggressively and at high speeds. It cannot just be one or two rogue drivers, it seems to be something in the company culture that drivers only have a certain amount of time to complete their shifts.

Not that its ever really save to cycle on Durban road anyway but the biggest reason I completely avoid that road while commuting.

Over a beer I’ll tell where that culture comes from and you’re not wrong

8 minutes ago, M L said:

Golden Arrow most likely pay the lowest wages and try squeeze every minute of time out of their drivers - nailing them over weekly performance reports etc.

Rather go after Golden Arrow than their drivers.

Passing cyclists very close or not don't change anything at the end of their day, they're the ones driving

Very good idea. I was out on the Klapmuts Simondium road on Saturday and nearly ended up as a hubcap on a Springbok Atlas bus. I wont do that again.

2 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Very good idea. I was out on the Klapmuts Simondium road on Saturday and nearly ended up as a hubcap on a Springbok Atlas bus. I wont do that again.

But to be totally fair, that road has boggerol shoulder. Not that it makes it any better or worse, but I've ridden there once before, and there is a reason that was the only time. There are safer routes.

2 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

But to be totally fair, that road has boggerol shoulder. Not that it makes it any better or worse, but I've ridden there once before, and there is a reason that was the only time. There are safer routes.

Agreed.

In my defence  i am new to the Hood and am from Jhb so was trying new routes and TBH I am not often scared on a bike - lights front and back etc, but i truly k@kked myself. I like my road bike but will only use it when i know there is a shoulder. 

Lesson learned.

FWIW I was also buzzed by some kids in a Chevy Volt for fun and then they hooted and laughed.

I was driving to work last Monday and got delayed on the N7 heading south towards Bosmansdam. Inching ever closer we (all the cars almost not moving) got passed by probably half of CoCT traffic cops. They were squeezing their way past the left median and also in-between the two lanes with sirens blaring. By the time I reached the Edgemead off-ramp I saw what the problem was. A Golden Arrow had decided to play chicken with a bridge pylon. 

Bridge 1 - 0 Golden Arrow

Thankfully the bus was not carrying passengers at the time, but I am still stumped how a bus manages to moer a bridge pylon on a straight road at rush hour. That bus looked like a can of sardines that got peeled open with a screwdriver.

The driver was lying beside the bus with his head resembling something no-one wants to see.

22 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

FWIW I was also buzzed by some kids in a Chevy Volt for fun and then they hooted and laughed.

I've had that once too. Except it was two laaities on a scooter giving me heartburn. 

Kinners 🙄