Munga MTB TwentyTwentyTwo

Shebeen

1 hour ago, Vetseun said:

When I rode in 2017 the rule was that drafting was permitted from Bloem to vd Kloof. Thereafter no drafting allowed. And it was strictly enforced. If the caught you you were penalised and only once. Thereafter is was disqualification.

Last year the rule was still there but they didn't seem to enforce it. 

This year drafting is allowed, not cool imo.

I have been at very Munga start as a participant or as a spectator. The race has changed so much for me. Almost has lost its soul. 

I was keen to try again next year but have been wondering if there isn't something else to ride. Maybe better value for money. At 30k you most definitely don't get value for money in this race. 

I'm not sure if anyone has ever been penalized for drafting, happy to be corrected on that.

This post seems to have did the test of time, if the same debates are out there.

http://mikewoolnough.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-munga-2018-race-thats-almost-great.html

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I'm not sure if anyone has ever been penalized for drafting, happy to be corrected on that.

This post seems to have did the test of time, if the same debates are out there.

http://mikewoolnough.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-munga-2018-race-thats-almost-great.html

I guess this cross pollenates with the discussion around bunches forming at DC.

It just illustrates that cyclists are the worst...... 😶

9 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

The post said she was 'First Lady'..

Anyway, I'm just asking. If that's Bonny doing it for charity then that's awesome. If it's someone racing for the win with a team mate it does definitely bring into question the spirit of the race.

firstlady.jpg

Looks like Hansie Joubert’s wife and Jaco Ferreira. 

My f0k.. dot watching is intense as it is ... but with the units regularly not updating for 1h or more it gets truly nerve racking... Da wooif in last night in 4d9h

Guess that means I'll be doing the dishes at home again

Looks like everyone in front of the Cut Dot will make it safely over the line. Louis Bredell will be touch & go!! He's got a nice section coming up now from the top of Mitchell's to the foot of Bains where he should be able to catch up or get close to the Cut Dot..

50 minutes ago, JohanDiv said:

I see Hannes Basson also just pushed through Ceres, so he is still in with a slight chance of making cut-off.

Sjoe that will be hard... nearly everybody was crawling that last bit up Bainskloof and I assume he will be more broken than those who came before him...

Fingers crossed... anyone who completes this is a rockstar

On 12/4/2022 at 9:36 AM, Vetseun said:

I have been at very Munga start as a participant or as a spectator. The race has changed so much for me. Almost has lost its soul.

That seems to be the feeling of some regulars. Why do think that is? Some of the regulars riders were missing, the introduction of teams, drafting, less vibe…?

The social media side has always been lacking as in ,,,more coverage on the route, even this year there was hardly any updates on the tail enders -the real worriers that make the event.

Also the teams thing,,  The Munga is supposed to be the toughest solo single stage race there is and now you have riders joining all over SA-- its just not the same.

Since this morning there has been no update from the media on all the riders out there--where are they??whats their chances of making it.??? That is  what the media is supposed to do--we want to support the back marker just as much as the leaders..

1 hour ago, Ozzie NL said:

Sjoe that will be hard... nearly everybody was crawling that last bit up Bainskloof and I assume he will be more broken than those who came before him...

Fingers crossed... anyone who completes this is a rockstar

He made it!!

1 hour ago, taito said:

The social media side has always been lacking as in ,,,more coverage on the route, even this year there was hardly any updates on the tail enders -the real worriers that make the event.

Also the teams thing,,  The Munga is supposed to be the toughest solo single stage race there is and now you have riders joining all over SA-- its just not the same.

Since this morning there has been no update from the media on all the riders out there--where are they??whats their chances of making it.??? That is  what the media is supposed to do--we want to support the back marker just as much as the leaders..

Any idea if there was a e-bike circus like a previous year?