Postnet and the expectation of a buyer when shipping

Jewbacca

18 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Again, this is hypothetical, so don't come and tell me I'm wrong because your opinion and expectations don't align with my hypothetical situation.

13 hours ago, Murrob said:

So, hypothetically, where is this place that you could get a better price for things?

The nature of second hand items is that they are only worth what someone is prepared to pay for them, //cut// I doubt anyone sells stuff on here out of a sense of altruism, but rather because we wish to get some funds back on items that are not useful to us or we have no need for so that we can plug it into the next purchase or item, 

Let me quell your doubt, there are many on here that do just that. Many even give things away and the great irony is that Jewbacca is one of those. You picked the wrong guy to p155 over.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, droo said:

I'm kinda halfway between the two dissenting views on here. If you accept the cash, you accept the hassle.

Not sure I agree with you fully.

The R100 is the cost price of the courier, not the reimbursement for the hassle. If the deal was R100 for Postnet, and R180 for my time to pop down there immediately and send it off I'd agree with you, but it isn't, and I recon best effort is reasonable.

In the meantime, I have told those I have sold to that I will send the parcel at my earliest convenience but no later than say the next afternoon or by the weekend - and then do so. I have received no complaints.

I think Jewbacca is 100% reasonable here. All my purchases I've made of point of telling the seller this is not urgent, they can courier when they have a chance. 

4 hours ago, madmarc said:

I'm a salesman - been one most of my working career - Yes, and a flipping good one at that ! - When i list something and a person agrees to buy it I treat them like any other customer, Before i list it, the packaging is ready, once the funds are secured i get off my ass and finalise the deal, if it means i be at home for him to collect at the agreed time, making sure there is someone at home to hand over to  the courier or dropping it at Postnet I always tell them when that will happen - I keep the buyer informed via sms or WhatsApp - send him a screenshot of the waybill and send him a msg a few days later asking if they got the package. I have even driven to an agreed meeting spot to do the handover. One guy mentioned he would use an Uber to come fetch some old laptops i listed as he didn;t have transport - I drove instead to midrand met him at a Wimpy and even bought him a coffee.

A sales transaction doesn't end when the money is in the bank - It ends when the customer has the product in his hands and both parties are satisfied. They are the customer - If you don't like customers or their attitudes, then don't sell stuff.

I’m in Supply Chain, so cover everything from Supplier to Customer and the reverse flow too.

The customer is not always right, but the expectations need to be understood and queries resolved to they are happy. Buying and selling should be a balanced relationship where both parties are benefiting. Buyers gets a price that is fair, and the seller gets a working item that is the same as described. 

Courier fees need to be agreed to before agreeing a deal and going ahead. Once all is agreed, both parties need to do their bit in the time agreed.

My experiences:
I don’t do immediate payments, unless the seller wishes to accept that cost. 

I don’t expect someone to send it today, but if I pay today, and it’s in your account tomorrow, then you should send the goods as promptly as I have paid. 

I purchased a couple items from @Prince Albert Cycles last year, and was happy to wait for him to drive to Oudtshoorn to send the goods. Comms we’re good, which is important.

I purchased from another person in Cape Town. I asked for the item to be sent to my CPT office, for an inspection first and upon a successful test, I would pay. The goods would be left with my colleague and I would ship it in my own time. Seller wanted immediate payment, which I had said I don’t do.

All other sales have been local (Gauteng), and have been mostly face to face. 

I have never had any problem with buyers and sellers, only with shipping. If the communication is clear, I have no problem waiting for my item and I expect the same from the buyer when I arrange the shipment. I prefer PEP because of my distance from major centers, therefor pudo and postnet are not an option for me. I try to avoid couriers as far as possible due to their costs and insufficient communication. They do have claims/refund options, although their requirements are not always clear. Pep obviously has major item shipping issues, but they have excellent communication regarding shipping times and receipts between branches, as well as reasonable insurance costs. Fingers crossed I never had any issues with PEP apart from 2x late deliveries that didn't meet their deadline!

really never had an issue and i buy lots of odds and ends from lots of different folks on here 

i contact and offer to pay shipping as per request of seller if he doesnt indicate what shipping options then i ask whats on offer and if i have to make a plan myself i do it - then  i pay and they ship - i dont expect stuff in 24 hours as im not shopping on amazon prime im buying something used from a private seller and it arrives when it comes and i pay for it to arrive and appreciate the hassle they go to and rate then accordingly  - i have had more sh*t getting items from actual online businesses in SA than ive ever had on bikehub 

seriously its not hard to get this to work but if you want problems in life and you look hard enough for them you can usually find something to honk on about  😜

2 hours ago, eddy said:

Let me quell your doubt, there are many on here that do just that. Many even give things away and the great irony is that Jewbacca is one of those. You picked the wrong guy to p155 over.

Hehe, had to laugh at this as I have been on the receiving end of Jewbacca's altruism. Thanks for the new word @Murrob!

21 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I see you as an outlier. It's a business, not just an exchange of goods between 2 private people on an open trading platform

My assumption in general when buying second hand goods on the hub, or just getting something sent because the person is just cool like that 😎, that it's not their job I.e. its not an online business or business of any other kind. Therefore they are busy with some kind of other job making their 'real' money and can't just rush off to the PUDO box at will .... I'd just wait a bit and if requested would probably pay a bit extra if asked

Just me?

I see my character has been both attacked and defended.. Thanks dudes!

I appreciate the input. I see there are quite a few different views on it. Without going down any sort of rabbit hole, I see the law of extremes has been applied again. The beauty of life is that the middle ground and reasonable, differences of opinion.

I do see a common trend in people (especially those who have been around a while) automatically accepting that it's their job to organise the shipping as the seller and the buyer more often than not expects it.

I guess my main takeaway is that as people have said, it's so easy to organise a collection, why hasn't that status quo been changed or even challenged. 

@Murrob as an aside, you will find many, many people on this platform who have received free stuff from me, from hub adapters to whole bikes and all sorts of things in between. BUT this thread wasn't really about me, or what I do or how I do it, but more the general expectation.

I see it is divided. Quips like 'If you don't like customers, don't sell stuff' aren't really helpful, but thank you. I quite enjoy selling things and meeting people and dorking out over bikes and life. 

It doesn't mean I can't question the market automation. I have been a part of it for a fair while and have danced like a good monkey to the beat of the classifieds expectations and norms. I do also like change though, so bringing into question some idiosyncrasies that exist in hubland is quite a fun thing to do.

Anyway, as you were. This has been fun. Or will it kick off for Friday?!

3 hours ago, eddy said:

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I see my character has been both attacked and defended.. Thanks dudes!

I appreciate the input. I see there are quite a few different views on it. Without going down any sort of rabbit hole, I see the law of extremes has been applied again. The beauty of life is that the middle ground and reasonable, differences of opinion.

I do see a common trend in people (especially those who have been around a while) automatically accepting that it's their job to organise the shipping as the seller and the buyer more often than not expects it.

I guess my main takeaway is that as people have said, it's so easy to organise a collection, why hasn't that status quo been changed or even challenged. 

@Murrob as an aside, you will find many, many people on this platform who have received free stuff from me, from hub adapters to whole bikes and all sorts of things in between. BUT this thread wasn't really about me, or what I do or how I do it, but more the general expectation.

I see it is divided. Quips like 'If you don't like customers, don't sell stuff' aren't really helpful, but thank you. I quite enjoy selling things and meeting people and dorking out over bikes and life. 

It doesn't mean I can't question the market automation. I have been a part of it for a fair while and have danced like a good monkey to the beat of the classifieds expectations and norms. I do also like change though, so bringing into question some idiosyncrasies that exist in hubland is quite a fun thing to do.

Anyway, as you were. This has been fun. Or will it kick off for Friday?!

@eddyRight, not sure how asking a question as it related to the topic was an attack, or perish the thought, of golden showers directed towards@Jewbacca. The key word for me was - sell. Which I will expand on below.

@Jewbacca, you had mentioned that you could sell the items for more, I was simply enquiring as to where? Your question was not, as I had it, and I am paraphrasing here... - "when I give stuff away for free what are the expectations with shipping. But rather, "if I sell something what are the expectations around shipping and who is responsible" I then provided my opinion in my answer for the selling bit only. The fact that you give stuff away or help people with bits and pieces and complete bikes didn't feature. I suppose heavily discounting something as a kindness is another potential avenue to discuss shipping expectations on. I too, do cupboard clear outs every so often and it makes its way to the development cyclists bin in my LBS, and help fellow cyclists wherever I can, since we are FYI'ing...Still owe you the beer if ever meet. 

4 minutes ago, Murrob said:

@eddyRight, not sure how asking a question as it related to the topic was an attack, or perish the thought, of golden showers directed towards@Jewbacca. The key word for me was - sell. Which I will expand on below.

@Jewbacca, you had mentioned that you could sell the items for more, I was simply enquiring as to where? Your question was not, as I had it, and I am paraphrasing here... - "when I give stuff away for free what are the expectations with shipping. But rather, "if I sell something what are the expectations around shipping and who is responsible" I then provided my opinion in my answer for the selling bit only. The fact that you give stuff away or help people with bits and pieces and complete bikes didn't feature. I suppose heavily discounting something as a kindness is another potential avenue to discuss shipping expectations on. I too, do cupboard clear outs every so often and it makes its way to the development cyclists bin in my LBS, and help fellow cyclists wherever I can, since we are FYI'ing...Still owe you the beer if ever meet. 

Wait.... Golden Showers? I'm not willing to brush past that! Subtly throwing some kink into this......

Back to the 'other' point, as I said, my initial post was to get the ball rolling on where the whole thing could go.

After reading the thread, a big one is how simple it is to order a collection and how easy and hassle free it is. Which is my thinking.

But this challenges the BikeHub 'way' which many many many people assume will 'be the best' purely due to habits developed within the trading environment.

Maybe my point is to illustrate this, or to call it into question. Or maybe I have no point..... I'm really distracted by the images of me receiving golden showers from some of the hubbers... I don't know if I will sleep tonight and I'm desperate for a shower

2 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

My assumption in general when buying second hand goods on the hub, or just getting something sent because the person is just cool like that 😎, that it's not their job I.e. its not an online business or business of any other kind. Therefore they are busy with some kind of other job making their 'real' money and can't just rush off to the PUDO box at will .... I'd just wait a bit and if requested would probably pay a bit extra if asked

Just me?

Here we go. The adult common sense approach. 

It's not a competition okeys.