Cyclo-cross World Cup

emme

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Commentators mentioned 40k people. That's stadium level crowds, for an 70 minute long bicycle race between 2 people? No wonder they ask steep appearance fees. Sven Nys is just jealous that he couldn't bag as much cash back in his day.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tom-pidcock-to-skip-2023-cyclocross-world-title-defence/

Would like to see CX worlds with a course and date that suits all 3 of these riders enough for them to go hammer and tongs for an hour. 

15 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I saw that, didn’t realise how slow the last part of the lap was. Eli must have been sprinting, maybe that’s why he was shaking his head. Thought she could have passed and won🤔

the chasing duo did their best but the gap was always going to be comfortable enough as the Wout and MVDP show lined up for the sprint. 

1 minute ago, bleedToWin said:

I know you kid, but WvA actually has a better record on courses designed by AvdP...

WVA has a better record on everything compared to MVDP 

2 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

I know you kid, but WvA actually has a better record on courses designed by AvdP...

WvA didn;t complain about them, more how he missed the attack that didn't happen.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wout-van-aert-expecting-to-be-in-second-position-i-forgot-to-ride-my-own-sprint/

but yes, home ground advantage is just that.

In the lead up to the race, the barriers were earmarked as a place where Van der Poel could distance his rival. The course and its man-made elements were designed by Adrie van der Poel, a 1996 elite men's World Champion in 'cross and father of Mathieu. He added the boards on an uphill section close to the finish, and had them installed at the maximum height limit of 40 centemetres (16 inches), rather than the 35-centemetre height that is prevalent in other races during the regular season.

2 minutes ago, peepeekaitjie said:

WVA has a better record on everything compared to MVDP 

Hard to compare directly as Wout also has the super duper domestique GC duties at le tour where MVDP is a team leader with no GC ambitions. An out and out battle for TdF green with no sideshows would be an amazing spectacle, might even overshadow the Yellow in terms of interest.

You can play around a lot, but one day races on the road, MVDP is 14-9 up.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider_vs_rider.php?type=onedayraces&filter=Filter&id1=wout-van-aert&id2=mathieu-van-der-poel&s=same-race-results

I think over this entire cx season where WVA and MVDP have raced, when there were more technical elements, like mud and soft sand, WVA has been the more dominant one and has made far less mistakes. The course yesterday definitely suited MVDP more and he had the additional advantage of the home crowd. 

16 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Wow wow thank you Wva and Mvdp. What a race. Those 2 are just so damn good. Really wanted Wout to win but they left EVERYTHING out there. Just glad it was a clean hard race with no mechanicals to ruin the result. 

just saw now that there were actually other people in the race🤣

While I was watching my wife was asking why the other guys even turn up to race when these two are there😂

47 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Hard to compare directly as Wout also has the super duper domestique GC duties at le tour where MVDP is a team leader with no GC ambitions. An out and out battle for TdF green with no sideshows would be an amazing spectacle, might even overshadow the Yellow in terms of interest.

You can play around a lot, but one day races on the road, MVDP is 14-9 up.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider_vs_rider.php?type=onedayraces&filter=Filter&id1=wout-van-aert&id2=mathieu-van-der-poel&s=same-race-results

I used to be a 1000% MvdP fan, but over the years Wout's remarkable versatility and being a super team player grown on me.  His support to Jonas last year was incredible, esp in the mountains. 

They are both super athletes in their own right. And when they do battle head on, it is always EPIC!!!

The respect between them also seems to grow, both mentioning this in recent interviews. No arrogance!!   

17 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Commentators mentioned 40k people. That's stadium level crowds, for an 70 minute long bicycle race between 2 people? No wonder they ask steep appearance fees. Sven Nys is just jealous that he couldn't bag as much cash back in his day.

Spectators come for a whole weekend of racing across all categories not just for 70 min for mens elite ... and drink a lot of beer

MVDP also did less road racing than Wout as he also did MTB racing. Not possible to compare them by their careers.

6C4994A5-90C6-4DAB-9688-EC356A16B12A.png

9 hours ago, Bernard and Christell Mtb Bucket List said:

Is Pidcock still doing cycle x?

No, he’s targeting the classics, namely Strade Bianche, Milan-San Remo, Dwars door Vlaanderen and the Tour of Flanders.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

No, he’s targeting the classics, namely Strade Bianche, Milan-San Remo, Dwars door Vlaanderen and the Tour of Flanders.

And I think he'll be the better for it. Super excited.