What's your Eddington number?

Mamil

3 hours ago, dave303e said:

sounds like an absolute joke of a metric to me. Honestly like strava year in sport it is just measuring digits. You should be looking at metrics that show the quality sessions you are doing. Because far too many do a lot of junk miles just to have a good topline number to swing around at the coffee table after yet another junk mile ride on sat morning...

Is it a bad thing if riding my bike doesn't make me feel good enough, but seeing the numbers I generate does? Hey, I'm riding my bike and isn't that just a grand thing, ragardless of reason?

I think riding bikes is fan-bloody-tastic, whether it's to school, for coffee, commuting, whatever... even if it's to see my Eddington number go up (hint: not my bag). you do you, I'll do me

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Spinnekop said:

And yet I see most of these riders doing "junk miles" being top fit and able to compete.

Show your number! 

Mmm, now I have a target for my "junk miles" rides down the coast. Should be able to get to 75 soonish, after that it starts getting to a lot of rides to go up.

image.png.c3aa054d9f60465b96abc3cb3f8aa403.png

24 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

Is it a bad thing if riding my bike doesn't make me feel good enough, but seeing the numbers I generate does? Hey, I'm riding my bike and isn't that just a grand thing, ragardless of reason?

I think riding bikes is fan-bloody-tastic, whether it's to school, for coffee, commuting, whatever... even if it's to see my Eddington number go up (hint: not my bag). you do you, I'll do me

You forget .... I watched you watch your number go up as the site pulled your rides through!! 😀... Even though you were disappointed that the answer WASN'T 42

6 minutes ago, Mamil said:

You forget .... I watched you watch your number go up as the site pulled your rides through!! 😀... Even though you were disappointed that the answer WASN'T 42

this is true. and to think I was happy when it said ZERO....

51 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Year cumulative shows a smooth progression but the distance per week (It should be moving time per week though as distance doesn't mean much IMO) shows I'm not so good at ramping up 3 weeks then rest 1 week.

click the little gear icon above the graph and you can change it to time

Obviously I struck a few nerves here. I tend to do it. More so on a Monday when I am off caffeine. There is a trend of bad stats that really irritated me, understanding the mechanisms of capturing data is also an undertone that gets me a bit on edge. 

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Why so serious? - Its really just a bit of fun / useless but interesting trivia

It is just me and how I are. I hate stats that I don't really agree with or ones that can be potentially harmful. If you look at the statshunter example first page you can see it is gamified to get you doing more and more longer rides with a hint at 4km to get to the next level. It is not really sustainable for most and it is not really contextualized so you could have a youngster riding schools XC now trying to get over a 100 on the eddington. 

And yet I see most of these riders doing "junk miles" being top fit and able to compete.

But imagine how well they could perform on a structured training plan. Those sunday fun rides are a lot more enjoyable when you smash them. It is a lot more fun hurting the regular riding buddies because you trained like a fox all week. It also leaves you more time for other things.

I guess for me striving to be better is part of my enjoyment.

You sound like a millennial.  

Dammed be the one that measures something.  We are all winners.  Everything is good.  All achievements are equal.

Leave the guys to brag about their achievements.  It's awesome to see.
Good for them I say. 
Won't hurt my ego.  

I may be a millenial, but it is not about being scared to whip it out and compare. It is about comparing something that adds value, to something that arguable does not. My job is around data and analytics so I do take this stuff seriously. What does irritate me a lot though, are misleading or illogical stats.

A bit like what I said in the thread about Toyota upgrading security on their cars in Dec. There are multiple articles saying how Toyotas are the most stolen vehicle along with Polo's in SA. But very few of them point out that they also happen to be the biggest % of the vehicle population. None of those articles normalize the vehicle thefts by the vehicle population so we can't actually get a good understanding of the risk.

You see stats are sneaky, much like maps, they are lovely to manipulate and tell the story you want.  Yes the Erdington is an interesting number, what it does is provide a value to the correlation of number of rides vs distance. If you have a balanced program and are consistent for years it should slowly reach your usual long ride distance. But really it is not that good at describing anything of value. Hence my original, albeit slightly harsh initial statement.

36 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

As an engineer, generating and analyzing a great graph gets me right in that funny spot between your tollie and your bellybutton that goes fuzzy when you crest an intersection at speed in a car.

I'm evidently;

1. All about consistency....
image.png.3e2b890a225836a0c801b24b4eae6f23.png

2. Non-religious:

image.png.86af51c27ff93e5d3ffc0c77e13e588c.png

3. An early bird:

image.png.908a8910237ecff513b2e445ffbc63cc.png

4. That loves posting an activity on Strava during work trips for the fynbrag:

image.png.2ea5d918a44d3dfd79a58b861a490573.png

See stats like this make me happy, good stats with reasonable insights

4 hours ago, dave303e said:

sounds like an absolute joke of a metric to me. Honestly like strava year in sport it is just measuring digits. You should be looking at metrics that show the quality sessions you are doing. Because far too many do a lot of junk miles just to have a good topline number to swing around at the coffee table after yet another junk mile ride on sat morning...

I am not training for anything in particular and really enjoy my 'junk miles'. I did feel a sense of achievement at the end of last year having ridden more than any other year. With that came a lot of rides with my wife and friends having coffee, touring the countryside and the odd race here and there.

As stated before: 'What a marvellously random (and useless) fun fact'.

I hope that you don't feel threatened by anyone else's number...

37 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Obviously I struck a few nerves here. I tend to do it. More so on a Monday when I am off caffeine. There is a trend of bad stats that really irritated me, understanding the mechanisms of capturing data is also an undertone that gets me a bit on edge. 

It is just me and how I are. I hate stats that I don't really agree with or ones that can be potentially harmful. If you look at the statshunter example first page you can see it is gamified to get you doing more and more longer rides with a hint at 4km to get to the next level. It is not really sustainable for most and it is not really contextualized so you could have a youngster riding schools XC now trying to get over a 100 on the eddington. 

But imagine how well they could perform on a structured training plan. Those sunday fun rides are a lot more enjoyable when you smash them. It is a lot more fun hurting the regular riding buddies because you trained like a fox all week. It also leaves you more time for other things.

I may be a millenial, but it is not about being scared to whip it out and compare. It is about comparing something that adds value, to something that arguable does not. My job is around data and analytics so I do take this stuff seriously. What does irritate me a lot though, are misleading or illogical stats.

A bit like what I said in the thread about Toyota upgrading security on their cars in Dec. There are multiple articles saying how Toyotas are the most stolen vehicle along with Polo's in SA. But very few of them point out that they also happen to be the biggest % of the vehicle population. None of those articles normalize the vehicle thefts by the vehicle population so we can't actually get a good understanding of the risk.

You see stats are sneaky, much like maps, they are lovely to manipulate and tell the story you want.  Yes the Erdington is an interesting number, what it does is provide a value to the correlation of number of rides vs distance. If you have a balanced program and are consistent for years it should slowly reach your usual long ride distance. But really it is not that good at describing anything of value. Hence my original, albeit slightly harsh initial statement.

Where I think you are going wrong here is that the Eddington number is far more likely aimed at the very casual & occasional cyclists to motivate them to do a little more, as opposed to the serious cyclists who already have a program & structure in place.

I can't see any serious cyclist paying attention to this other than for brief amusement, lets face it, nobody cares about your Eddington number. Imagine the weird reaction you would get if you try to brag with it to your buddies...

54 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Think you just need to calm down and chill mate. It’s just a a bit of fun.

Mine is 85. The countries thing is a bit weird though. It’s telling me I’ve ridden in countries i have definitely not visited.

Mine is 85km

33 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Mine is 85. The countries thing is a bit weird though. It’s telling me I’ve ridden in countries i have definitely not visited.

Maybe Zwift, Rouvy or other virtual trainer program? Apparently I have also visited New York, London and Italy with my bicycle.

2 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Maybe Zwift, Rouvy or other virtual trainer program? Apparently I have also visited New York, London and Italy with my bicycle.

Okay makes sense now.

Calm down fellas!

I have resigned from strava so have no idea what this is, but all I can picture is a little fluffy bear in a bikini holding a number above it's head while traversing a boxing ring......

The Eddington Bear number!

I only do junk miles. I haven't done and interval or followed a program in years, other than a brief lockdown ZWIFT obsession.

I like my miles like I like my women.... a bit of junk in the trunk and a lot of fun!

Anyway, as you were

6 hours ago, dave303e said:

would you need a number to share around and discuss publically to show how much you enjoy riding your bike? Or would you just be out riding your bike instead...

I was relatively late to strava and GPS in general, I didn't have any structured training plans or keep a log book, I thought that would take the fun out of it. In my 20s i was pretty fit, but i would take a look out the window and decide whether today was a cycling/running/windsurfing/paddling/surfing/drinking occasion.

Now I'm strava premium subscriber. I am not beholden to it in anyway, don't join clubs or follow goals, but the simple fact that i record stuff very conveniently and have it available if i ever need it is a real motivator at times.

This "number" was so easy to pull. It means as much as you want it to. I know my real number would be way higher but i may or may not use it as a motivator going forward. Also, might even start measuring rides in miles now too! A real other factor here is that while a road based Eddington of 100 is probably equivalent to a MTB based Eddington of 60, I challenge to you to find a simpler more effective metric than this one.

3 hours ago, Jbr said:

I can't make sense of that number but I just realised that healthfit (the app I'm using to communicate between "actual" fitness apps and apple health) also shows it.

Mine is 94. I expected something lower since most my rides are during the week and between 1h and 1,5 hours, only on weekends I ride longer and not often more than 100km (except on race days).

image.png.29033dbcc47db497ad11c77fd40d16e4.png

Year cumulative shows a smooth progression but the distance per week (It should be moving time per week though as distance doesn't mean much IMO) shows I'm not so good at ramping up 3 weeks then rest 1 week.

image.png.2bf3a6c514644cdf63d85a35d1814bc0.png

just trying to understand this one.

you've essentially been active on strava for less than 4 years

you don't often ride more than 100 kms, and then only on weekends/races.

Yet in the 400 odd weekend days you've ridden more than 94km on 94 occasions or about 25% of the time.

You sure about that 94?

(obviously i see the 680km already ridden in the 16 days of 2023 means you might not be that normal)

22 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

just trying to understand this one.

you've essentially been active on strava for less than 4 years

you don't often ride more than 100 kms, and then only on weekends/races.

Yet in the 400 odd weekend days you've ridden more than 94km on 94 occasions or about 25% of the time.

You sure about that 94?

(obviously i see the 680km already ridden in the 16 days of 2023 means you might not be that normal)

probably mostly because top of chapies is about 98km from my house ;)

"You've exceeded 94km for 96 days"

Edited by Jbr