Formula cura mineral oil alternatives?

NAS01

Hi

Anyone know of any mineral oil alternatives that’s safe to use in Formula Curas? I’ve used the Castrol mineral oil in shimanos with no issues but new to Formula.

Thanks

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ISO VG7 hydraulic fluid.

shell

mobil

caltex

fuchs

engen

but why? The above are not sold in smal 500ml packs that is convenient for home mechanic use

Edited by DieselnDust

16 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

ISO VG7 hydraulic fluid.

shell

mobil

caltex

fuchs

engen

but why? The above are not sold in smal 500ml packs that is convenient for home mechanic use

220l drums are perfect, not sure what the issue is...

Total LHM Plus at takealot - R192 for 1l.  Imagine paying R300 for 250ml of the stuff from evo - if they even had stock. 

Just a heads up, as with Magura and their blue blood, even though we know we can use Shimano mineral oil, they won't warrantee your brakes if there is anything other than Magura blue in them. Same could be for Formula Cura brakes. 

4 hours ago, Swift01 said:

Just a heads up, as with Magura and their blue blood, even though we know we can use Shimano mineral oil, they won't warrantee your brakes if there is anything other than Magura blue in them. Same could be for Formula Cura brakes. 

As the official agents for Formula I can confirm this is the case. 

Formula brakes need Formula mineral oil to perform at their optimum as well as keep their warranty

10 minutes ago, MarcHD said:

Formula brakes need Formula mineral oil to perform at their optimum as well as keep their warranty

what about cooking oil or baby oil or sex oil?

15 hours ago, MarcHD said:

But... what about when there isn't any in the country?

17 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

and what makes their unicorn sperm infused oil better than the other brands of unicorn sperm infused oil ?

This I get, people use all kinds of "some guy on YouTube said this was fine" boer-maak-'n-plan rubbish, baby oil, olive oil, DOT fluid, water, etc... you've got to, as a manufacturer, draw the line somewhere, and your own proprietary stuff is generally it.

There are people who actually understand the properties needed to do the job properly, but they're definitely in the minority, so while there are many other substitutes that will do the job properly, I can see where they're coming from.

6 minutes ago, droo said:

This I get, people use all kinds of "some guy on YouTube said this was fine" boer-maak-'n-plan rubbish, baby oil, olive oil, DOT fluid, water, etc... you've got to, as a manufacturer, draw the line somewhere, and your own proprietary stuff is generally it.

There are people who actually understand the properties needed to do the job properly, but they're definitely in the minority, so while there are many other substitutes that will do the job properly, I can see where they're coming from.

sure I get that, I'm in the motor industry, I know what people do.

But, the question still remains, are they using some secret formula for their mineral oil, or is it just mineral oil with a colour dye added and a huge markup to boost revenue.

21 hours ago, Headshot said:

Total LHM Plus at takealot - R192 for 1l.  Imagine paying R300 for 250ml of the stuff from evo - if they even had stock. 

This stuff works but is thick and it translates to the lever feeling very clearly.