Review: Titan Racing Cypher RS Carbon Ultimate

Matt

51 minutes ago, Titan Racing Bikes said:

38T is the maximum.

Cliff, our head of design weighing in: 

"But I wouldn't recommend it - personally I think it ruins the anti-squat, 36T is better."

I'm no expert, but I think the chainring size shouldn't affect the anti-squat. It will affect the pedal-kickback though, which is a by-product, but I don't see how it will really make a difference.

Edit: Ignore me. Mr. Google gave some good reading and Cliff has a point. Adding a cool link for those interested.

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/best-chainring-size-for-xc-racing/42442/46?page=3

Edited by Fred van Vlaanderen
Added detail

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Order to Spend less Time on the Large Rings of the Cassette the Chain ring size should be 32 tooth or 34 tooth. Spending too much time on the large gear destroys the cassette.

Using Large Rings 36T 38T also Increases the Gap between gears which results in bad performance when accelerating through the gears.

The only advantage of large rings 36T 38T is faster top end.

Modern Mountain bikes are designed and shipped with 32 Tooth Front Rings.

35 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

In Order to Spend less Time on the Large Rings of the Cassette the Chain ring size should be 32 tooth or 34 tooth. Spending too much time on the large gear destroys the cassette.

Using Large Rings 36T 38T also Increases the Gap between gears which results in bad performance when accelerating through the gears.

The only advantage of large rings 36T 38T is faster top end.

Modern Mountain bikes are designed and shipped with 32 Tooth Front Rings.

FYI, a larger chainring makes shifting through the gears smoother.

It keeps the ratios tighter.

let's take a 15 and a 17 jump with a 38 - 0.39 and 0.44 respectively with a gap of 0.5

15 and 17 with a 32 - 0.44 and 0.53, with a ratio gear jump of 0.9

It all depends on what you do with your bike. I'd argue that with bigger stock cassettes these days, most bikes are built around a 34 chainring.

But, either way, you're wrong regarding the gap between gears. 

6 hours ago, Titan Racing Bikes said:

38T is the maximum.

Cliff, our head of design weighing in: 

"But I wouldn't recommend it - personally I think it ruins the anti-squat, 36T is better."

Thanks for confirming, that puts me at ease before I spend the ZARs on what will hopefully be a very worthwhile purchase. 

It also didn’t intuitively make sense, if I’m looking to run a 36, the Titan pro team are almost certainly running 38, and only catering for a 34 would limit performance. 

21 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

let's take a 15 and a 17 jump with a 38 - 0.39 and 0.44 respectively with a gap of 0.5

It all depends on what you do with your bike. I'd argue that with bigger stock cassettes these days, most bikes are built around a 34 chainring.

O...K...😁

Confused Counting GIF - Confused Counting Geometry GIFs

21 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Dont'  buy this text above.

His Analogy is Incorrect.

A larger Ring does cause a larger change of the Speed of the Back Wheel.

The gaps increase. As per Table Below.

Front Ring    Cadence        Gear    RPM of Rear Wheel        Change in RPM

38                       70        17          156,4705882        
38                       70        15          177,3333333            20,8627451
36                       70        17          148,2352941        
36                       70        15          168                           19,76470588
34                       70        17          140        
34                       70        15          158,6666667            18,66666667
32                       70        17          131,7647059        
32                       70        15          149,3333333            17,56862745
30                       70        17          123,5294118        
30                       70        15          140                           16,47058824

1 hour ago, dasilvarsa said:

Dont'  buy this text above.

His Analogy is Incorrect.

A larger Ring does cause a larger change of the Speed of the Back Wheel.

The gaps increase. As per Table Below.

Front Ring    Cadence        Gear    RPM of Rear Wheel        Change in RPM

38                       70        17          156,4705882        
38                       70        15          177,3333333            20,8627451
36                       70        17          148,2352941        
36                       70        15          168                           19,76470588
34                       70        17          140        
34                       70        15          158,6666667            18,66666667
32                       70        17          131,7647059        
32                       70        15          149,3333333            17,56862745
30                       70        17          123,5294118        
30                       70        15          140                           16,47058824

I disagree with both of you. If you shift from the 15 on the back to the 17 and your speed stays the same then your cadence increases by the same amount regardless of the size of the chainring.

As per the above, if you are pedaling at 70 RPM in the 15 gear and change up to the 17 gear (wheel RPM will remain constant as you change because inertia) your cadence must increase to 79.33333 to maintain the same speed. Regardless of the size of the front chainring.

40 minutes ago, Jehosefat said:

I disagree with both of you. If you shift from the 15 on the back to the 17 and your speed stays the same then your cadence increases by the same amount regardless of the size of the chainring.

As per the above, if you are pedaling at 70 RPM in the 15 gear and change up to the 17 gear (wheel RPM will remain constant as you change because inertia) your cadence must increase to 79.33333 to maintain the same speed. Regardless of the size of the front chainring.

In any Analogy you have to have a constant. (Science and Math, Nothing to do with Bicycles)

I'm changing from the 17 to the 15 and my BOT riding the bicycle can only pedal @ 70 RPM.

Edited by dasilvarsa

6 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

In any Analogy you have to have a constant. (Science and Math, Nothing to do with Bicycles)

And in my example the constant is cadence.

Your mistake is that you are looking at absolute changes in wheel speed whereas in this case, the correct variable to consider is relative change in wheel speed. In your example the change in RPM is 11.765% of the 17 tooth gear rear wheel RPM regardless of the size of the chainring which supports my position.

Edited by Jehosefat

1 minute ago, Jehosefat said:

And in my example the constant is cadence.

Your mistake is that you are looking at absolute changes in wheel speed whereas in this case, the correct variable to consider is relative change in wheel speed. In your example the change in RPM is 11.765% of the 17 tooth gear regardless of the size of the chainring which supports my position.

Cool

Hello ….. Sheldon here

you’re all wrong 

We’re only interested in the relative change in development between gears. 
what is the percentage change.

dividing a little number by a bigger number results in a smaller change

1/2 is bigger than 1/3 and so on

For you fatties

if I divide the pizza by 34 or 38 which gives me the bigger slices?

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Hello ….. Sheldon here

you’re all wrong 

We’re only interested in the relative change in development between gears. 
what is the percentage change.

dividing a little number by a bigger number results in a smaller change

1/2 is bigger than 1/3 and so on

For you fatties

if I divide the pizza by 34 or 38 which gives me the bigger slices?

I only Eat Calzone

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody shed some light on the sizing of the frame? Currently on a Giant Anthem Large and looking at the Titan. I am 182 but sense the Titan feels every so slightly a bit smaller...

Pop in to a bike shop, they will size you up in a jiffy.

25 minutes ago, Spike Milligan said:

Anybody shed some light on the sizing of the frame? Currently on a Giant Anthem Large and looking at the Titan. I am 182 but sense the Titan feels every so slightly a bit smaller...

Just now, dasilvarsa said:

Pop in to a bike shop, they will size you up in a jiffy.

I did actually, and the large does seem right, but I sit higher on my Giant which makes me wonder. Guess just geometry that is different.